nitsypee

Burning oil - what are my options?

My 94 VR has done 128k which is also burning oil which sounds normal but smoking slightly probably valve stem seals I have been told. I had a quote the other day for a top end overhaul £1800 that's before they dismantle then find something else to increase it even more.

in the interim you can use a seal conditioner like the Forte products. Should stop some smoking and oil loss for a while. Recommended by the late Chris Gaskell

just my 2 pence worth but are those reporting 'smoking' still on the OE exhaust & CAT?

i ask this as my VR would look like it was smoking after cold start up & i too thought it could be worn valves or seals. I was told it was likely that oil was leaking past them when standing over night, thus causing some smoke on the next morning

(the VR has never used much oil at all & well within the VW tolerances)

however this was still the case after Stealth rebuilt the top end

the 'smoking' stopped after i had a new Longlife exhaust with hiflow CAT some time after said rebuild

which then tied in with the testing that Vince did where he told me that the old CAT was holding moisture in it which would cause the smoking until said CAT got nice & hot

All engines burn oil, its just that contaminants from petrol (diesel too) top up the oil level hence the darkening / deterioration over a period of time / mileage.

The time to get you wallet out is when the spark plugs are fowling creating misfire.

Surely everyone knows the difference between steam and burned oil coming out the exhaust..?

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

Surely everyone knows the difference between steam and burned oil coming out the exhaust..?

you would have thought so but the output from the exhaust looks very similar

a way to tell between the 2 is to get the vapour over your hands & then see if they feel oily

mine had Vince head scratching a little, hence his additional testing

I suppose it's hard to tell when it's a bit of a mix.

What does this seal conditioner like the Forte products do.

Its really meant for weeping crank seals and the like (it makes them soften and swell), its not going to have much effect on old, heat hardened, cracked valve stem seals IMO