Walsey

So, are they worth it?

Mine was a couple of months tax away from the scrapyard in the sky when I bought her, I was amazed I got her home from Saffron Walden to Swansea.

A few years and erm, quite a lot of work and an absolute bucketful of money later I have a drivable classic with a lot less work required doing than it did when I started.

The point for me is that I'm enjoying the journey, it's not about the theoretical destination of a "finished project" more an evolving one.

I love my Corrado and as I've said a few times today it's about the feeling I get when I'm driving and when I get out and lock her, I always look back over my shoulder as I walk away for one more look at her.

There will always be "one more job" that needs doing but that's what I want, it's not A N Other plastic eurobox that will get me from A to B feeling much the same as if I'd been on public transport. To me she's a living breathing thing with a soul and you have to nurture her to get the best out of her.

The cost of nurturing her is purely a matter of affordability, as it's my intention to never sell her it's otherwise irrelevant.

If I were owning the Corrado for an appreciating asset it would have been incredibly silly to spend so much money nurturing her as in order to make a profit I would have to get an eye watering sale price already.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This is an interesting thread. For what it's worth I bought my Storm in 2009 for £3,900 and then maintained it to a very high standard (spent over £5k in upgrades (uprated brakes, timing chains, 263 cams and remap, heater matrix etc) and ended up selling in 2015 for the same price. I'm happy to see prices heading up but these cars will always be a niche buy as they were never that popular when new (sales figures don't lie). They will never make the same money as fast Audis or fast Fords as they don't have the same following. By all means buy another Corrado but do it for reasons related to the car rather than seeing it as an appreciating asset.

The reason for my sale was simple as I realised that any car which is 20+ years old needs to be maintained by both an enthusiast and someone who has a modicum of engineering know-how. I'm lacking in the latter so felt it a good time to bale out.

The reason for my sale was simple as I realised that any car which is 20+ years old needs to be maintained by both an enthusiast and someone who has a modicum of engineering know-how. I'm lacking in the latter so felt it a good time to bale out.

What better car to learn on, they are easy to work on (compared to modern cars) and always breaking down :)

My white, has a dented door (new door needed probably, awkward dent), and dent in arch, body wise rust free,cracked windscreen, couple of inches right in corner of passenger side. Mechancially everything is pretty much brand new, engine, gearbox, brakes, every sensor and ancillary. I'm still driving it, drives perfect. As I have another VR6 I was currently building up anyway I was just going to break and use some parts for the other one, but that car also has very low mielage engine, plus new 312's to go on etc., so everybody thinks I'm bad. If anyone wants to make me an offer and repair it, contact me I'll give you full details, if your local I'll take you a spin, still on road. Even if CAT D, I can keep car, already agreed that with them.

Also got leather interior.

Or if break and you want first refusal on any parts I don't use give me a shout. Everything works on car. Brakes 288's front and MK4 back, both less than year old. Refurbed RS4's. Strut braces front and back.

Be perfect for a paint sprayer.

P.S. new EV6 injectors, BDA Carbon filter and cold feed, remapped ECU, 10MM race leads etc. all the bits you'd want.

Well I never. Another one looking to return to the fold. Exactly the same reason Im on here today. How you doing Walsey?

Still wish id never sold the G60. Cant believe the price of them now. :(

Haha, hiya Tim long time no speak! What are you up to nowadays, still got your place in Hayle?

Yeah 'tis I, couldn't get into my old account so had to register a new one, hope you're well Mr Haywire? :D

Yeah not bad cheers :)

FWIW, I haven't driven a Corrado for about 6 years now, and I haven't missed it :D

Have you made a decision yet?

Yeah, I think it's probably something best left in the past! As tempting as it is I think the reality is that I've not got the time to **** about with cars any more so a 15-20 yr old coupe isn't going to give me hassle free motoring.

My main steed is a Land Rover Discovery which is coming up to two years old, it's a lovely car with plenty of toys but is a bit wallowy and soulless so I fancy something a bit more fun, I dabbled with a 996 911 a couple of years back but they've shot up in price since and again it felt quite old which made me look at 997's, but I've been priced out of those so thought about corrados again, but in reality they're too old now.

I quite like the look of those Toyota GT86's, so might go and have a drive of one when I can find time and see what they're like, anyone here tried them?

15-20yrs old is optimistic.. nothing younger than 22 yrs around now, and some as old as 35 yrs ish.

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

They're worth it all day long. But it ultimately depends on what you are looking for. Either something cheap than needs work that you can do up, or one that is strong money with loads of maintenance history and good paint. However if you want a corrado just for the sake of having a corrado and go down the cheap road, then you'll probably regret it fairly quickly and find yourself skint all the time.

For example my G60 cost little over £1000 back in 2014 and it was quite a dog to be honest (My thread down below). But that is what I wanted and have the tools and facilities to make it better. I've probably spent a good few thousand on it since and it's still far from being finished but I live and breath to have a project at all times so it keeps me more than happy.

Not been on the site for a while so thought I'd pop by and see what's happening. Mine is definitely worth it. t's not a stunning example by any means but it's also not a poor example. I've lost the love a little and don't have much motivation to drive it at the moment, partly because I have lot of other stress going on in my life at the moment. But on the rare occasions I do drive it I have a huge smile across my face for the entire journey. Currently it's sitting in the garage, dusty, unused, but still very much loved whenever I go in there. I also love that smell they have inside when you open the door.