edd

Volvo V70 d5 or Audi A4 Avant...any opinions

As title really, golf was written off last week and looking to get a decent estate between 6-10k.

Got to diesel (commuting) and at least a little good looking (so I take care of it)

Main thoughts are centred around an A4 Avant sline in either 2.0 or 3.0 td guise or a Volvo v50/v70 r design (d5). Probably around the sub 100k 2010 category. Either manual or semi auto

Any opinions/experience

Googling cars is a bit like googling your ailments, you always end up reading the worst

V50 - issues based on it being a Ford, d5 r design seem to be hard to find

V70 - bit more expensive, tanks.., bit thirsty

Audi A4 Avant 2.0 - engine issues, oil pump/dpf/injector issues.

Audi A4 Avant 3.0. Injector issues, hard to find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would definitely choose the Audi

Volvo is not a bad car but driving experience is way better with the Audi

Volvo has a ridiculously bad turning circle too

We had a Volvo V50 D5 for a couple of years as a company car. It was hard to faul. The Ford connection provided it with the basic undercarriage of a Focus, one of the best handling and riding front wheel drive cars of the day. The 5 pot motor was very smooth and had loverly gruff sound as was far more flexible than our previous A3 2.0TD. We looked at replacing it privately with a V60 but could not find a decent low mileage example at a good price. We ended up with a BMW 320D Touring.There are plenty of these available and may be worth you considering.

With the A4 I would seriously advise getting a quattro model. Makes a far far better car.

The 2.0 pd engines used to have oil pump issues but that has largely been resolved on later cars with a revised oil pump design.

I wouldn’t be too concerned with DPF issues, unless your commute is 5-10 Miles as you will be keeping the DPF clear with long commuting journeys.

Personally I steer away from diesel now because of increasing tax and fuel price, some of the TFSI engines in the VW/Audi range do very good MPG ~35 and petrol being cheaper means they’re level pegging at times for cost effectiveness.

Cant say much for the Volvo as havent ever had one but love the style of it.

My A4 Avant (2.0 tdi) has been the best car I have ever bought. Never really had an issue even though the engine code suggests its the worse of the lot. Now at 240k and still going well. However, I think I was lucky with this one but it has given me hope for the VAG stable (unlike my missus' vw mk5, what a crock of **** that is).

Nice leather, driver focused binnacle and sporty steering wheel..........and a cheap slab of silver plastic centre console!.

Looks awful and really brings down the quality of the interior imo.

If you're looking at the Audi A4 have a look at the Seat Exeo which is based on the B7 shape Audi - you'll get a nice one for your budget.

I have had mine since it was 6 months old - 2.0 cr170 tdi, leather, climate, xenons, bose audio, sat nav etc. The engine has been perfect - I've had it since it had 3k miles on it and now have 57k. The CR engines are much more reliable and the same as the ones found in the B8 Audi A4 vs the the old PD 2.0 engines found in the B7 Audi A4.

I have the sport tech trim which is equiv to S-Line but the SE models look quite nice too (non lowered suspension and 17in alloys).

Be mindful of the VW emissions fix - I have not had mine done due to the horror stories. You can get it rolled back for c£100 though.

Edited by pfnsht

I've no experience of the 2.0TDi but did own a 55 plate Audi A6 3.0TDi Quattro an experience I would not repeat in a hurry.

Like you have mentioned I had the injector issue around the 90K mile mark. 5 of the 6 were outside the factory spec. Seem to recall that was a £2K+ bill.

Manifolds flaps failed, MAF failed, rear wash wipe burst and sprayed water on the DVD / Amp pack.

The final straw came when 3rd gear wore out it's syncro. When that car left my drive I was glad to see the back of it.

Edited by marks2

Thanks for the input everyone I do appreciate it. I’m going to look at a Volvo V70 d5 r-design on Friday, kinda like the fact there is not many of them around and D5 seems to have a v good reputation for longevity which is one of my prerequisites for this car...

The old man has a 2004 (I think) Volvo V70 D5.. he seems fairly happy with it, but I have to say despite Volvo's reputation and despite this one being a low number of owners and reasonably low mileage car, every time I drive it I leave feeling rather unimpressed.

I like that the torque is excellent even from basically idle revs.. it just pulls away so keenly and goes like stink if you decide to get on the power. But there's various issues like the indicators not working correctly, warnings about auxiliary power outlet port in use (when it's not), and it just generally feels rattly and cheap inside. My tired old 5 Series touring feels leagues ahead of it inside in terms of quality and how solid it feels.

I've always liked the thought of a T5 or similar but having driven the V70 a few times now I've definitely cooled off on them somewhat.

My sister had a T5 about 10 years ago and clocked up 280k miles driving down to Southern France and back - faultless.

For a car that big and heavy, it shifted surprisingly quick :-)

I've currently got an old A4 Avant 1.9 Diesel, needed an old estate, my choice was either the V70 or this, had a budget, ended up with a 140k 1.9 D SE, build quality is fantastic, been faultless......1.9's are bulletproof

I made a decision, nice car, feels bomb proof and drives lovely to be fair

Pick up next week

Never thought I’d be a Volvo driver in my 30’s

Will certainly put a smile on my face, just waiting to get the call that the Corrado is put back together, MOT’d and ready to go now.

3e3927974142aa5475bb55f2d3029010.jpg