Goldie

Facebook vs Forum

What FB sites are people looking at?

Out of curiosity, I had a quick look on FB last night for the first time in years - didn’t realise there were so many Corrado related sites. That said, I stand by my previous comment that FB is full of loads of #*!?

Still rate Forum over everything else - big thanks to admins 👍

I'm connected to a couple of them, but I don't like the format over there at all.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/VwCorradoChat/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/278350932289020/ (Corrado Classifieds)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/822112387910372/ (Corrado Classifieds)

I'd suggest that if you know anyone who wants to do a build thread on facebook, that the best format for that is to create a page for the car, then you can use that page to document things over time, and people can comment on the individual posts. At least you know they're not deleting your data, unlike photobucket ;)

I prefer forums.

FB is only full of people posting photos of their dinner etc if that’s what you choose to follow!

It’s very easy to unfollow someone but remain friends if their content isn’t interesting. I barely see anything other than posts from various car groups.

FB is only full of people posting photos of their dinner etc if that’s what you choose to follow!

It’s very easy to unfollow someone but remain friends if their content isn’t interesting. I barely see anything other than posts from various car groups.

This is exactly what iv done

I work away and spend alot of time either in the van or at digs bored so find myself constantly on my phone or ipad

Iv pretty much unfollowed everyone who got on my nerves , if i dont like what im seeing i use the options to see fewer posts like this

My facebook is pretty much carbook lol thats all i use it for

A facinating thread. I used to use this so frequently before the CCGB had a Facebook page. This place has never been easy to upload images and at present Tapatalk just ain’t working so FB is so easy with loads of interaction and plenty of sound, almost instant advice if needed.

I did think long and hard about what FB do with my personal data and quite frankly, I’m just not important enough to worry about it.

As for images of people’s dinners, I’d be seriously reconsider who your friends are! Anyone posting pics of their dinner on the CCGB FB page would get their knuckles wrapped!

I won’t stop being on here, but it will be intermittent at best.

I look on Facebook similar to Tesco, they put all the small businesses under pressure until they could not compete and closed down removing money from local economies. Then they opened smaller stores to replace them and fed us horse masquerading as beef.

Support your small forums otherwise they will fold exactly the same removing all the goodwill of their members how tos from the www.

I look on Facebook similar to Tesco, they put all the small businesses under pressure until they could not compete and closed down removing money from local economies. Then they opened smaller stores to replace them and fed us horse masquerading as beef.

Support your small forums otherwise they will fold exactly the same removing all the goodwill of their members how tos from the www.

High 5!

I use both. FB is great for instant chat and lots of pictures. The forum is slower but easier to find historic stuff via the search i.e. how do i do xyz -> search and there is likely a thread on it. The only downside is all the pictures people put in their old threads have now disappeared. I don't find it easy to find old threads on FB.

It was metaphorically speaking to encompass the tosh that appears on FB - but I have seen that along with other "look at me" type posts, which I grew tired of.

Well said that man. Big corporations swallowing everything up until there is nothing else, then they abuse their position because you have no or very little choice, google, Facebook, Amazon, Uber even Apple extract as much money as possible out of you, £1000 for a phone is ridiculous and then some of the old apps on your old phone and music won’t go across because of what ever reason.

Anyway, back to the point I don’t do Facebook, but the wife does - she’s really nosey

Real car enthusiasts still use forums. Facebook doesn't work as a forum platform. It's better suited to attention seekers with mostly 'half-arsed' projects who would never have a detailed build thread. Given, it's easier to upload photos to FB but you are also surrendering ownership of them by posting them there which I don't think anyone would agree too if they knew that. You also won't find anywhere near the level of decorum on FB that you will find on forums. If a car community has ar**holes, that's where you'll find them.

I'm active on a large Facebook group for the BMW E39 5 Series, and honestly Facebook utterly SUCKS as a mechanism for an owners club discussion group.

So far as I'm aware.. primarily because you can't search or easily pin posts, and of course you can't segregate content off into seperate sub sections. It's basically just one big feed of people posting up the same questions ALL THE TIME. If you want to go back through old content to try and find answers you've previously given, it's virtually impossible. Additionally the Facebook algorithm will just arbitratily decide which content it wants to show you.. you can't simply do like most forums and say "Show me everything since I was last here" - meaning I've regularly missed interesting discussions and event information simply because I didn't happen to check Facebook at the right time, and their algorithm decided I didn't need to see it. It's a total crock.

Forum software is a million times better for this kind of thing. The only thing Facebook is arguably good for is quickly getting large numbers of people to sign up, mostly because so many people are on it, and the process to join is a couple of clicks at most.

Personally for me, the primary source of content should be a web site and a forum. The Facebook page should be used to promote or post highlights from the forum / website. If people can't be arsed to sign up on the forum to discuss things further, then it's their loss.

I started group of FB a number of years ago regarding the Vitamin D problem within the UK and it has kind of evolved into rather large community that all help each other. It's the only thing keeping me on there. I did recently delete my old profile and make a new one with no friends on it, and I just use it for my group until I can find someone else to take it over. I try to encourage members, well it's an actual rule which never gets enforced, to save their original posts and return to them - so that all their past information is readily available and in one place. It never happens though. It'a just a disorganised mess these days. Outside my group, it's almost as if FB has no proper function! They say it brings people together - From my experience it does the opposite. Makes you resentful towards the fake people advertising their fake lives. People you once shared good times with, all of a sudden become annoying and insufferable.

You all probably know about this already it may of been on the news, I'm not sure.

I'm not on Facebook myself but my anti virus software flashed up a warning regarding the security of people's details a few days ago and again this evening. This is what it says below:

On Friday, September 28, 2018 Facebook said that an attack on its computer network had exposed the personal information of nearly 50 million users.The attackers exploited the "View As" feature that allows users to see their Facebook page the way someone else would. This could allow the attackers to take over Facebook accounts. Facebook has fixed this issue and informed law enforcement. They also do not know if the affected accounts were misused or if user information was actually accessed.

Si

Edited by vw rule

I've not been on the forum for a while and only just starting to get back to it. I have facebook for car related things only, don't have family and friends on it. I like instagram as you can follow build posts on there. Facebook is ok but I prefer the help from a forum

Error

App not set up: This app is still in development mode, and you don't have access to it. Switch to a registered test user or ask an app admin for permissions.this is what happens over and over when trying to link my forum account with my Facebook account. Il try another day maybe have joy.

Error

App not set up: This app is still in development mode, and you don't have access to it. Switch to a registered test user or ask an app admin for permissions.this is what happens over and over when trying to link my forum account with my Facebook account. Il try another day maybe have joy.

All you need to do is sign up to facebook and search for them names on the list I gave you. Nothing to do with the Corrado Forum.

Matt from Mk2 spares has a Corrado swirl pot but one of the brackets is cracked £50.00 think he said with the pumps etc. Think Brendon Moss was breaking one from Dubstock as well.