Baz6701

****ed off with this thing

Hello folks, seems my G60 is out to annoy me, put a wee post up a couple weeks ago moaning about my car ‘strangling’ itself when I accelerate.

I’ve changed the Fuel pump as advised by my local mechanic, no difference,

Changed the Blue Coolant Temp Sensor thing, no difference,

Changed the plugs and leads, got a bit of smoke now on acceleration but still strangles itself,

Changed the battery, starts easier

Got a Fuel Regulator Valve to fit but I make houses etc so don’t even know where to look for that under the bonnet

PLEASE HELP

hahahahaha

What have you checked?

I'd be looking at the throttle body to make sure the wot switch is operating correctly and there's no vac leaks in that area.

Have you disconnected the lambda sensor to see if it runs any differently?

I’ve only really checked the leads and plugs, the ‘WOT switch’? What and where and how?

Nope not disconnected the lambda sensor, that easy enough and again where and how?

Cheers for your help

Wide Open Throttle. Its not a switch just for WOT though, its a throttle potentiometer, and measures the entire movement of the butterfly. Its the electrical bit attached to the throttle body.

Lambda is a real pain to remove, its in the middle section of the exhaust and the heat cycles pretty much weld it to the exhaust. You'll need to specific tool to remove it. Follow the cable though up to the plug which is attached around the rear engine mount and disconnect it there.

Yeah, I was only suggesting disconnecting the lambda plug, not removing it from the exhaust. As above, it's normally attached to the rear engine mount on a little clip, easy to reach

Also Sean, are you sure you're not confusing the WOT with a VR6, I thought on the G60s it was just a microswitch, similar to the idle switch, that was hit on full throttle :scratch:

As Simeon says the WOT is just a micro switch, it does not measure anything, it just sends a signal to the ecu to ignore the Lambda readings at fully open throttle.

My apologies with the WOT switch, I tend do go into auto and forget there are other types than the VR6! :bonk::lol:

Wow you guys really know ur stuff!

Thanks, ok so next question what am I looking out for when I disconnect this lambda sensor and what do I need to do once I’ve disconnected it?

Thanks again 👍

All you're doing is removing a sensor from the system that may be giving a bad signal, which is resulting in running issues.

With it disconnected you need to drive the car and see how it has been affected. If it appears to run much better then next step would be to replace the lambda sensor and reconnect it. They're about £50-60 so not too expensive, but as Sean mentioned, they can be a ******* to get out of the exhaust!

Magic, ta

So hope that’s all it is, worried it’s something more horrible coz the wife will flip her lid hahaha

As Simeon says the WOT is just a micro switch, it does not measure anything, it just sends a signal to the ecu to ignore the Lambda readings at fully open throttle.

Check the wiring to the throttle body l found the wiring snapped (copper wire inside but looked OK from the outside).the is a clicking from thr switch on top of the throttle body when the throttle is opening/ closing

Ok tonight was eventful, I disconnected the lambda sensor in the engine bay and took it for a spin to see if the ‘stuttering’ was gone, which it seems to be however I turned the car off and reconnected it to take it for a another run to see if it was jst luck but the car did not restart only let out a single click and the oil light flashed aaaahhhhh what is up with this thing?

So only a click of starter motor solenoid when you turn the key? As long as it's not an immobiliser issue then it's likely to be a bad earth. Remove the earth strap from the gearbox and give it a good clean, then the same for the battery terminals, starter motor and alternator wires.

Presume you didn't bump start it?

Ye single click, looks like the earth is a wee bit dodgy anyway to be honest it’s been done with a connector block. Didn’t try bumping as the battery is brand new. Will try the alternator wire etc too, thanks.

Could I have blown a fuse reconnecting the sensor?

Thanks

No, you can't do any damage just disconnecting/reconnecting the lambda. I reckon you want to get rid of any chock blocks in your earth wires!