robrado974

digital clock help PLEASE .

Evening everyone .

Ok so around 7/8 years ago i was putting a leather interior in to my car .A Mate who i now cant get hold of said your switches would look great in red and had a spare set . He also somehow changed the digital clocks to red as well . Im now changing back to oem green , obviously changing the switches is straight forward , but how has he changed the digital clocks to red ?. Is there just a film on the top which can be slid out ?, i can move the one on the maf , slide it from side to side . Or has he some how changed the programe on the circuit board ?. Any help would be much appreciated .

Rob

Hi Rob, I changed my clocks to blue on my first valver and it must’ve been fairly straightforward if I managed it.

I think it was just some blue bulbs and possibly a clear strip of plastic. I might even still have the stuff I removed originally.......the joys of being a hoarder :lol:

I’ll have a look and see and it may well help you?

Thanks Martin , ive found an old thread and it states that the film has to be removed .I removed one and it looks clear ?, i presume they should be green ?. So the bulbs are not clear ?.

Thanks Martin , ive found an old thread and it states that the film has to be removed .I removed one and it looks clear ?, i presume they should be green ?. So the bulbs are not clear ?.

I can’t find the original stuff......yet, sadly it’s like a needle in a haystack here. I’m not 100% sure about the original bulbs but the bulbs I used to turn mine blue were definitely coloured. Almost sure the film will be a green one originally as I’m sure I replaced that with a blue one. I bought the kit off here from a Dutch guy I’m sure.

The bulbs I have from the bottom have a black base but are clear in colour. The film looks like it has no colour either, so how is it lit red ?. I’m confused.

I found one bulb that was a spare from my original swap, it has a clear bulb with a blue base, and it lights up blue when you introduce power

Right so even a clear bulb can be coloured then . So I could possibly keep the plastic that goes on the top and source the green bulbs from somewhere.

Many thanks Martin, you’ve been a great help.

Hi Rob sorry just saw this thread. I changed mine to blue several years back. The leds i soldered in were clear but gave a blue light. The clocks had a green filter which i removed and out some light diffusion film in instead. I think the digital displays also had gree film - these i changed to red using a red filter. So its quite doable but give me a shout if you need any input.

The original design for the digital LCD displays (clock inclusive) was a clear 5w 12v incandescent style bulb with a green translucent film to aid in colour diffusion. There are a few options; have a different tinted film with the original clear bulb, or have a frosty translucent film with a coloured led. I opted for a strip of coloured leds as I found that a single bulb caused spotting.

Hi Rob sorry just saw this thread. I changed mine to blue several years back. The leds i soldered in were clear but gave a blue light. The clocks had a green filter which i removed and out some light diffusion film in instead. I think the digital displays also had gree film - these i changed to red using a red filter. So its quite doable but give me a shout if you need any input.

Thanks for the info Hasan , much appreciated. I will have to find somewhere to get the bulbs as I can’t tell looking on line . Heritage don’t sell them .

The original design for the digital LCD displays (clock inclusive) was a clear 5w 12v incandescent style bulb with a green translucent film to aid in colour diffusion. There are a few options; have a different tinted film with the original clear bulb, or have a frosty translucent film with a coloured led. I opted for a strip of coloured leds as I found that a single bulb caused spotting.

Great info again thank you . Hopefully I will get them sorted soon .

Sorry chaps me again . I’ve put a shout out on the CCGB page as well. Am I right in thinking all the bulbs are the same ?. Now I’ve removed the horrible strip light that was in there I’m left with no bulbs at the top . I take it the blue strip powers the three top bulbs ?.

Yep there are three there i think theyre 509t iirc

Can't remember exactly though as ive got leds in mine now

When I bought my bulbs from TPS they ordered me two different types of bulbs. Might be worth a phone call to confirm the parts.... quicker than me looking through 100s of receipts

Sorry chaps me again . I’ve put a shout out on the CCGB page as well. Am I right in thinking all the bulbs are the same ?. Now I’ve removed the horrible strip light that was in there I’m left with no bulbs at the top . I take it the blue strip powers the three top bulbs ?.

Yep there are three there i think theyre 509t iirc

Can't remember exactly though as ive got leds in mine now

Correct in thinking the blue strip powers the bulbs, and that these are the blue (or faded blue) 509t bulbs. There were smaller ones which powered the LCDs which were a slightly different casing. A few people used to fit those small 12v fluro neon type bulbs which were the right length. Like Fla I have fitted an LED strip the full width of mine eliminating the need for the power strip. Not sure if I kept it though.

Correct in thinking the blue strip powers the bulbs, and that these are the blue (or faded blue) 509t bulbs. There were smaller ones which powered the LCDs which were a slightly different casing. A few people used to fit those small 12v fluro neon type bulbs which were the right length. Like Fla I have fitted an LED strip the full width of mine eliminating the need for the power strip. Not sure if I kept it though.

Thank you. What’s involved in fitting an led strip please .

Thank you. What’s involved in fitting an led strip please .

There's not much work involved, you'll need to get some suitable LED tape in the correct colour, thankfully it is already 12v so all you need is to solder a short length of cable to each end with connectors. Trace the illumination cables which are routed behind the dash (you can take a feed from the ashtray for example) plus a ground spade connection (of which there is an earth connection point on the A pillar behind the dash) and then stick it in place on the clocks - they usually come with pre-applied self adhesive tape.

Bear in mind you will need to make it so that the connections can be removed in case you need to take the clocks out etc.