Keyo

Sparks and leads

Been three years since my sparks have been changed and prob well over 20,000 miles after studying the paper work of my VR6, also taking the Shrick Inlet manifold off as have some new gaskests so be rude not to.

So my question is what would members recommend.

I was thinking.

Leads

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CORRADO-VR6-Ignition-leads-set-Bosch-Corrado-Mk3-Golf-905QHT020/362151420507?epid=1378677840&hash=item5451e8225b:g:GtIAAOSwiuxap-hF

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NGK-IGNITION-LEAD-SET-RC-VW223-0954/283039831162?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

sparks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NGK-Spark-Plug-BKR5EKUP-6-Pack-Laser-Platinum-Sparkplug-NGK-2890/1815

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

I am yet to change mine but would certainly go for either of the first two. The 3rd link doesn't open anything for me

Here is the last link.

Spark plugs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NGK-LASER-PLATINUM-SPARK-PLUG-BKR5EKUP-2890-FREE-P-P/202383062122?epid=248989664&hash=item2f1ef8746a:g:db0AAOSwDV1XRHj2:rk:1:pf:0

The NGK LASER PLATINUM SPARK PLUG BKR5EKUP 2890 at £3.99 seem alot cheaper then any other seller wonder if they are real !

I reckon the NGK leads might be even better quality then the Bosch ones , not really sure though. Mine are a pain in the ass to replace because you have to remove the Shrick manifold so want to get good quality.

Edited by Keyo

Bosch or Bremi for the leads would be fine, don't bother with the long life/platinum/multi electrode plugs for the VR - NGK BKR5EKU are the recommended ones. If you have a distributor version of the engine, replace the cap and rotor arm as well at the same time.

Bosch or Bremi for the leads would be fine, don't bother with the long life/platinum/multi electrode plugs for the VR - NGK BKR5EKU are the recommended ones. If you have a distributor version of the engine, replace the cap and rotor arm as well at the same time.

Think Ill purchase the Bosch leads .

Spoke to Vince at Stealth earlier as booking in my motor and mentioned sparks and leads.

He said leads they really heve not found the dream aftermarket set yet but using electro something at the moment, he did say dont bother with any GSF or something like that.

For sparks he said they are using some Audi ones that are far out performing any plug for performance and relibility as you may all know he has a front wheel rolling road at his garage, Ill ask him for the spark plugs part number when I get the chance.

Interested to hear about the spark plugs that Vince suggests - like many, i use the ngk ones

Here we go lads Bosch FR7KPP33+ Spark plugs ,came on a Audi TT MK1 225BHP , Vince said do not go for the equivalent NGK Varient of these plugs only half as good as the Bosch FR7KPP33+.

That is what I have been told anyway, the car has not been fitted with them yet. maybe another member has these sparks all ready fitted ???

Edited by Keyo

Very interesting - I'll try a set of these the next time I'm changing them.

When I drop the car into to Vince I want to see the the sparks with my own eyes that he carrys in stock for the VR to make sure that is the the right part number he gave me on the phone and will update on here , just keep that in mind before anyone goes ahead and fits them.

Cheers.

Got my new Bosch leads today they do look a quality item, couple of pics beolw with more information about the leads on the box.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96214[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96218[/ATTACH]

Edited by Keyo

Are these now definitely the defacto spark plugs for the VR6 Bosch FR7KPP33+.

As I believe the NGK BKR5EKUP are now discontinued.

The standard BKR5E or BKR5EKU work just as well and are easily available. Those Bosch ones were recommended by Stealth I believe, but I haven't heard any reports of them in action yet. Maybe someone else on here has tried them?

Thee's not much point in putting long life super spark++++ etc. in a VR, just change them every year or 10-15K and you'll be grand.

Yes I have them on mine if you search black magic returns , they work great and give the maximum spark that works well with the car, when you search for part number FR7KPP33+ you will be also be offered a NGK version but make sure you get the Bosch ones , same words that came out of Vince's mouth.

Thee's not much point in putting long life super spark++++ etc. in a VR, just change them every year or 10-15K and you'll be grand. Uless you have a shrick vgi you have to take the manifold off to change the sparks :bonk:

Yes I have them on mine if you search black magic returns , they work great and give the maximum spark that works well with the car, when you search for part number FR7KPP33+ you will be also be offered a NGK version but make sure you get the Bosch ones , same words that came out of Vince's mouth.

Thee's not much point in putting long life super spark++++ etc. in a VR, just change them every year or 10-15K and you'll be grand. Uless you have a shrick vgi you have to take the manifold off to change the sparks :bonk:

Yeah, but I don't care about them lucky sods - they can put up with the extra labour 'cos they have the joy of a variable intake! (Id you manage to snag a proper VSR it doesn't have to come off to change the plugs).

Just checking the history and the last set were changed to BKR5EKUP in 2010 at 102,500 miles. The cars currently on 122,412 miles.

So have done 20K miles in 9yrs, still worth changing ???

Wow 9 years old that sucks.

Iam one of those lucky sods but you also have to get some gaskets from Bar Tek in Germany think they cost about £60 + sob ha !

Edited by Keyo

Was on the blower with NGK Tech support today, they recommended the NGK BKR5EKUP for the VR6, stated they should be changed at 40,60k miles regardless of age, but more so the mileage of use.

The NGK BKR5EKU can also be used but changed every 10-20k miles.