Keyo

Black magic returns home

11 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Sorry Shaun the parts are been collected this Saturday by Goldfinger. 

Cheers. 

thanks Keyo - all arranged m8

Here is the garage - completed it late October - just some posts and some saddle stones to put on the Columns at some point . Really glad I battled the council as I think it looks like it’s always been there - house looks less cluttered with cars hidden . 👍

61C97E44-109F-42D4-8FCC-3EB89B795CC1.jpeg

CA32C8F2-7992-457C-83E0-9E7BC11A5B95.jpeg

994D2254-1A69-418E-A449-7D05A58B5F41.jpeg

88A02907-A783-4620-9D3D-29E91DF5F204.jpeg

Edited by Keyo

the garage looks mega Keyo!!

im still gutted the council wouldnt let me build one 😞

i may build the base anyway & then reapply as that looks the nuts

3 minutes ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

the garage looks mega Keyo!!

im still gutted the council wouldnt let me build one 😞

i may build the base anyway & then reapply as that looks the nuts

Thank you mate- ive been doing lots of jobs on the car in there over winter - really is a great amenity and finally a flat floor to check oil and jack car, battery tender. . 

Edited by Keyo

3 hours ago, _Matt_ said:

Garage turned out decent. Mk2 and 911 looking good.

Thanks Matt. 

4 hours ago, _Matt_ said:

Garage turned out decent. Mk2 and 911 looking good.

It’s a shame there’s no Corrado in there though. 

1 hour ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

It’s a shame there’s no Corrado in there though. 

Would of loved a third garage but had no chance getting that through planning otherwise I would of kept one . I have a hatch classic and  a sports car classic now and also a winter grinder Quattro with the creature comforts  - better balance then when I owned three classic fwd hatches - will always have a soft spot for a Rado but it’s hard to squeeze in a balanced collection . For the same money the Corrado fetched now I think my collection is better value and overall a much better classic car experience with part sourcing . 

I do have space for a corrado on the drive but when a car gets to 25 years plus you just cant keep it outside year after year - even if I got a cheap valver i think that car deserves to be restored and garaged- unlikely I will buy one again but you never know  a bargain valver with recaro plus kamei kit may make my senses crazy-  it will be on my drive ha. 

Edited by Keyo

Im starting to get bored of my Audi A5- its running tuned 300 bhp/ 352 lb/ft from memory but I have the farty 2.0 tfsi turbo. its nowhere near as good engine as the torquey 3.0 audi  diesel lump Im use to . 

I m thinking if I can swap it for something a bit more interesting like a Mk4 r32 or a V8 merc an M113 block. I only do a round trip to work of about 6 miles so mpg dont bother me. I do want heated seats though ! Even a jag Xk im very tempted. 

Edited by Keyo

Definitely the merc. The diesel won't like the 6 mile trip long term though is a great engine.

R32 is a nice idea but won't be a patch on the merc and I have finally caught up - do you want vw parts issues and welding jobs etc on the 32? I got shot of my mk2 today before diving into works, deposit paid pick up this week as I cant be bothered with all the hassle anymore on buying parts out of fear of potential real obsolescence. Just think a r32 could end up in the same place over the coming years where as the merc will repay in ownership satisfaction.

I followed a lovely mk4 red R32 last Sunday for a few miles and loved the car but the VW old car hassle diluted my enthusiasm so perhaps I am not the best to promote.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Kevin Bacon had an R32 and moved to a MK5 TFSI, have a look at his thread.

I've owned MK4s for 20 years and I'm the only one who doesn't like the R32 bumpers......

7 hours ago, Dox said:

Kevin Bacon had an R32 and moved to a MK5 TFSI, have a look at his thread.

I've owned MK4s for 20 years and I'm the only one who doesn't like the R32 bumpers......

One drove past me the other day and it sounded so gooood ! One of these jap import ones could be a great buy as they just don’t seem to have rot - I think the tfsi does everything great but the 3.0 v6 seemed a much more complete package - the one thing about a tfsi that is not great is piston rings and bore score issues on longitudes blocks - mine is the gen 3 so meant to have been mostly sorted  but still can happen . 

9 hours ago, _Matt_ said:

Definitely the merc. The diesel won't like the 6 mile trip long term though is a great engine.

R32 is a nice idea but won't be a patch on the merc and I have finally caught up - do you want vw parts issues and welding jobs etc on the 32? I got shot of my mk2 today before diving into works, deposit paid pick up this week as I cant be bothered with all the hassle anymore on buying parts out of fear of potential real obsolescence. Just think a r32 could end up in the same place over the coming years where as the merc will repay in ownership satisfaction.

I followed a lovely mk4 red R32 last Sunday for a few miles and loved the car but the VW old car hassle diluted my enthusiasm so perhaps I am not the best to promote.

No way you sold the Mk2 ?  Yes I get you I mean Vw are pretty poor on part supply - I also think a 330 e46 is great value . I. Think it would be cheaper for you to buy a restored Mk2 so probably a good move . 

Edited by Keyo

Yep deposit paid and collecting this week. Corrado off to auction on Saturday for 4th March entry and pre marketing. Mk3 I've got it running a put back together needs a few things and then I'll send it to auction as well.

It has been a sensitive subject as you'll remember and the circles I've been going in for a good 12 mths now but something clicked last weekend and I thought F this - i never use them, always saving for bodywork on one of them whilst waiting for the next bill or upgrade on another one. Always waiting but never living and no longer enjoy working on them or hunting the parts out of fear something I might need is obsolete. Not to mention the loss of balance in my life and how warped my thinking was getting about trying to make cars perfect - im suited to newer stuff I think.

The mk2 had an unreal level of eBay interest and i was getting text messages within minutes of listing it on ebay. Sold it outside to a local chap in the end for just under 5k, which for a car that requires assembly, some welding as described on the ad and not currently running I thought was OK. A small loss as I did buy everything missing and new bbs RAs. I doubt the corrado will be as easy.

I want to combine the money for all cars and parts and what I've saved for mk2 restore etc and have 1 weekend car that I just wash and drive and 1 decent daily. I need 4 seats really so it rules out 2 seaters so its 911, m3 e92 or something else not thought of. Im not buying until all the vw stuff is gone and will likely change my mind as dust settles and perhaps the love for vws will return and a r32 is a lovely car which for you would get a nice one for the a5 money.

Another option, but mk5 is a bit marmite on looks, is an import mk5 r32. Bit newer,imports only have sub £150 annual tax and the cars won't have rust for a long time.

4 hours ago, Keyo said:

One drove past me the other day and it sounded so gooood ! One of these jap import ones could be a great buy as they just don’t seem to have rot - I think the tfsi does everything great but the 3.0 v6 seemed a much more complete package - the one thing about a tfsi that is not great is piston rings and bore score issues on longitudes blocks - mine is the gen 3 so meant to have been mostly sorted  but still can happen . 

Not so much for Keyo (who could find this thread with ease), this thread is a good read for any recent Corrado buyer wanting info on upgrades - atmo - supercharged - turbocharged - R32 powered

2 hours ago, Dox said:

Not so much for Keyo (who could find this thread with ease), this thread is a good read for any recent Corrado buyer wanting info on upgrades - atmo - supercharged - turbocharged - R32 powered

Thanks I will have a look at that - I know they have a variable manifold and larger throttle body as standard which is great . I’ve seen a few on Vince ramps and have seen the rust spots - they seem to go bad on the rear sill . 

24 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Thanks I will have a look at that - I know they have a variable manifold and larger throttle body as standard which is great . I’ve seen a few on Vince ramps and have seen the rust spots - they seem to go bad on the rear sill . 

Same as corrado for rust, front wings, rear of the sills / inner arch at the bottom. You’d think they’d learn 😂 

6 hours ago, _Matt_ said:

Yep deposit paid and collecting this week. Corrado off to auction on Saturday for 4th March entry and pre marketing. Mk3 I've got it running a put back together needs a few things and then I'll send it to auction as well.

It has been a sensitive subject as you'll remember and the circles I've been going in for a good 12 mths now emoji854.png but something clicked last weekend and I thought F this - i never use them, always saving for bodywork on one of them whilst waiting for the next bill or upgrade on another one. Always waiting but never living and no longer enjoy working on them or hunting the parts out of fear something I might need is obsolete. Not to mention the loss of balance in my life and how warped my thinking was getting about trying to make cars perfect - im suited to newer stuff I think.

The mk2 had an unreal level of eBay interest and i was getting text messages within minutes of listing it on ebay. Sold it outside to a local chap in the end for just under 5k, which for a car that requires assembly, some welding as described on the ad and not currently running I thought was OK. A small loss as I did buy everything missing and new bbs RAs. I doubt the corrado will be as easy.

I want to combine the money for all cars and parts and what I've saved for mk2 restore etc and have 1 weekend car that I just wash and drive and 1 decent daily. I need 4 seats really so it rules out 2 seaters so its 911, m3 e92 or something else not thought of. Im not buying until all the vw stuff is gone and will likely change my mind as dust settles and perhaps the love for vws will return and a r32 is a lovely car which for you would get a nice one for the a5 money.

Another option, but mk5 is a bit marmite on looks, is an import mk5 r32. Bit newer,imports only have sub £150 annual tax and the cars won't have rust for a long time.

Sometimes you have to consolidate your capital to start again - there are some good bargains in the 911 world right now - its not going to stay like that . A 996 4s with a aero kit is a fine looking car as well- I have black one but my first choice would be midnight blue or guards red. I think there is one space for a classic vw though always for me   . The most sensible thing to do is buy a real well sorted classics as you can enjoy it straight away and come out of financially stable - come out of it easily if you fancy a change. 

What auction house is the corrado going on ? 

I think your doing the right thing - Ive seen some real well sorted Mk2 golf 16v lately for about the 11k with very good mileage figure- no chance you could of matched them figures with your mk2. There was one the other day the lad was thinking of selling- an r32 conversion on a black 16v that had been garaged all its life - he was the second owner. It looked immaculate. That could combine your mk2 and corrado itch. 

6 minutes ago, Dox said:

Same as corrado for rust, front wings, rear of the sills / inner arch at the bottom. You’d think they’d learn 😂 

Apparanenly the r32 can be even worse as they have some funny insulation on the wings ? It might be the r32 body kit is also a moisture trap which makes things all that worse. . 

7 hours ago, _Matt_ said:

It has been a sensitive subject as you'll remember and the circles I've been going in for a good 12 mths now emoji854.png but something clicked last weekend and I thought F this - i never use them, always saving for bodywork on one of them whilst waiting for the next bill or upgrade on another one. Always waiting but never living and no longer enjoy working on them or hunting the parts out of fear something I might need is obsolete. Not to mention the loss of balance in my life and how warped my thinking was getting about trying to make cars perfect - im suited to newer stuff I think.

Your welcome to test drive my two cars before you make a decision on your weekend car .

27 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Sometimes you have to consolidate your capital to start again - there are some good bargains in the 911 world right now - its not going to stay like that . A 996 4s with a aero kit is a fine looking car as well- I have black one but my first choice would be midnight blue or guards red. I think there is one space for a classic vw though always for me   . The most sensible thing to do is buy a real well sorted classics as you can enjoy it straight away and come out of financially stable - come out of it easily if you fancy a change. 

What auction house is the corrado going on ? 

I think your doing the right thing - Ive seen some real well sorted Mk2 golf 16v lately for about the 11k with very good mileage figure- no chance you could of matched them figures with your mk2. There was one the other day the lad was thinking of selling- an r32 conversion on a black 16v that had been garaged all its life - he was the second owner. It looked immaculate. That could combine your mk2 and corrado itch. 

Yep you're right there. I was going to use Noel at Classix he does social media marketing 5% fees of sale price. His cars go through bidspotter to be auctioned or if they don't sell he keeps advertising them online to do a deal. I can't be bothered to sell it myself and deal with punters. I'm driving it up there on Saturday.

Yeah seen the mk2s and no way it could be achieved. My mk2 (it was all advertised and videod) needed 3 areas of welding where i had ground back an exposed 3 50pence holes, filler neck support, arches all rolled and in the corners of the valance. Then paint which costs a lot if done right. Plus it had the wrong engine in anyway.

At the moment my itch on these cars has gone but will probably come back. 996 aero or a 997 would fit me nice and something I would use as a daily without fear of a minor prang writing it off.  

I sold my quicklift jacks on ebay and the guy that picked them up was a Porsche nut working in something porsche related. He has put 300k on his carrera 2 996 using it for work touring Europe and is doing a minor rebuild on it (thread on pistonheads) he also sold the red 3.4 carrera with aero to Jethro Bovingdon years ago. There is no real rust on the 300k car and it's spent many miles at high speeds on European roads and the engine he modified to a 3.7 from 3.4 at some high mileage (i forget) but on disassembly there was no real bad wear on the 3.4 and he did the work himself. I did chat to him about bore scoring etc and he said it's made out to be far worse than it really is but of course if it does happen it is expensive to fix. It is in no way a given that it will happen as the internet seems to make out and certainly for stuff like the IMS if it hasn't happened after 15-20 years then it's not going to happen.

And thank you on the offer for test drives.

51 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Apparanenly the r32 can be even worse as they have some funny insulation on the wings ? It might be the r32 body kit is also a moisture trap which makes things all that worse. . 

MK3s, MK4s, MK5s ...... Have the noise dampening foam rotting out the wings inside out, as soon as you see a blister they're holed, I've not had a MK4 with a kit, but they've all rotted in the same place and again its inside to outside.

1 minute ago, Dox said:

MK3s, MK4s, MK5s ...... Have the noise dampening foam rotting out the wings inside out, as soon as you see a blister they're holed, I've not had a MK4 with a kit, but they've all rotted in the same place and again its inside to outside.

Certainly makes sense to get a Jap one if its records are genuine - we all know there can be some naughtiness in the import trade.