1xshaunx1

US third brake light wanted

As title people’s. Somebody must have one tucked away that their not going to use. Good money paid for a new one.

Did you try ARZ Tuning in Germany? That's where I got mine, not fitted yet, but not for sale sadly, pending a visit to the body shop.

There are two parts to the housing, and then you'll need a loom connector. How are you planning to fit it - these will only fit US spec tailgates (and some European ones) and the UK ones we have need a fair bit of modification to make them fit properly.

Some on here had some nice alternatives such as pinhole LEDs in the spoiler or at the top of the rear hatch window.

Cheers fend but they have none that I can find.

Trying ESC in USA and eBay.

If I get one, I’m going to put it in here. Im putting my new hatch together which I’ve had ages as my old one was shot.

Ah ok - best of luck hunting. If you need help with the part numbers I can dig mine out to check.

Is that a US spec tailgate or did you cut the mounting hole out yourself? There used to be a template floating around done up by a guy in Germany. Have attached a copy here, but it's very low-res unfortunately.

One option might be just to find someone breaking a car in the US/CA as they all had them fitted, but they are getting even rarer there than here.

Yes, thanks for finding the thread dragon green - that's the one that started me off. I don't know how long the parts have been sitting in storage though since I got them - part of it is finding a bodyshop that I trust enough not to mess up the tailgate.

Thanks guys got the part numbers and think I’m sorted, time will tell.

My mate did mine, he could be very close to you if you're near Sheffield as he's in Staveley. Did it the way VW should have originally, makes a much better job although he did say it took him two days to get it right!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96781[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96782[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96783[/ATTACH]

My mate did mine, he could be very close to you if you're near Sheffield as he's in Staveley. Did it the way VW should have originally, makes a much better job although he did say it took him two days to get it right!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96781[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96782[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96783[/ATTACH]

Tonedef, does your mate do full resprays? And Shaun's VR6T is ridiculously fast, other drivers will need to see if he uses the brakes. Scared the sh## out of me

Tonedef, does your mate do full resprays? And Shaun's VR6T is ridiculously fast, other drivers will need to see if he uses the brakes. Scared the sh## out of me

He did a full respray on mine but I don’t think he enjoyed it very much, it was in his shop two years! He prefers to do accident repairs and jobs he can turn around in couple of days rather than committing a full month to one car.

I bought my hatch like that last January for £301.77. They have gone up since. The link below. I got it through Heritage saving on postage. Just have to give them the part number if they don’t list it and wait a bit longer. No mention of brake light hole on the classic website though. But it does come with one.

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/heckklappe-corrado.html

£309.33 from heritage at the moment

https://www.vwheritage.com/classic/?ClassicLookup=FLAP

Edited by 1xshaunx1

Ouch - an expensive way to get a 3rd brake light once you factor in the paint and swapping everything over. But tempting.

Edited by fendervg

Did you see the state of my old hatch once I got the rubber out. No way of knowing what lurks beneath the rubber until it bubbles up, by then it’s too late.

If you were having a cut in job. You would then need to paint it also. I bet by the time you are done it would be £200 more. But it would be new and correct, no gambling and if your old hatch is rust free you could sell it.

Did you see the state of my old hatch once I got the rubber out. No way of knowing what lurks beneath the rubber until it bubbles up, by then it’s too late.

If you were having a cut in job. You would then need to paint it also. I bet by the time you are done it would be £200 more. But it would be new and correct, no gambling and if your old hatch is rust free you could sell it.

That's a good point - could be quite a viable option. How did you get it shipped and was there any hassle getting the rear glass and seals out intact and into the new one?

I got a new glass, but very expensive, I also have a back up one I cut out of a tailgate.

The seals are obsolete, I smashed my old tailgate glass to get the rubber out as it was stuck in with bonding agent. It is possible to get the seal out without disturbing the glass. But not on mine, as usual it was a complete git.

A man is coming on Thursday to bond it in. Seen it done, a lot easier than the front £65 is the quote

Ordered mine from heritage, was easily delivered as had a few bits at same time so it was free delivery. Think it took 3 weeks to come.