robrado974

Fuel pump cap inside of boot removal .

I know your supposed to use the correct tool , but can I get away with putting a cloth over a large flat head screwdriver or blunt chisel?,and tapping it loose ? I’ve tried it by hand but I can’t shift it . I presume it isn’t a left hand thread ?.

Kind regards

Rob

Yeah, screwdriver and a rubber mallet is how I've always done it - same when tightening - I guess that's what the plastic ridges on the ring are for!

standard thread - just chisel it to the left

some come off easy

some are tight to the last thread

And if it’s anything like mine, it’s really easy to cross thread and almost impossible to fit right when refitting it. Of course when it’s not right it leaks fuel all over the floor when I fill up so I can tell straight away!

I would say my fuel pump has def never been changed as the screw cap looks absolutely brand spanking new in my car !!!

Yeah, it's usually lovely and clean under there, especially if it's leaking petrol. The reason it's hard to refit is that the seal on the lid with the hoses is really hard to get on properly - I found the easiest way was to dunk it in petrol, then fit it to the lip of the tank opening, and then gently push on the lid until it sits snugly - if done right, the lock ring will go back on easily with no bother.

You can tell I've been there done that a few times before when it comes to the fuel pump!

Also spraying the lockring's threads with silicone spray is another way to avoid cross threading it.

You can make one,flat bit of metal thar fits into the ribs then bend over to fit the rid ring ,fit a large nut bolt in the middle then undo the rib ring they are not that tight

You can make one,flat bit of metal thar fits into the ribs then bend over to fit the rid ring ,fit a large nut bolt in the middle then undo the rib ring they are not that tight

If I can’t undo it I will make something up like the tool you describe.

It should come off no bother with a mallet and chisel/flat blade - never had an issue and have done it on 3 different cars.

That's dirt cheap actually - only ever going to get used a few times though in the lifetime of a car. You could rent it out though! ;)