_Matt_

263 cams + remap or stainless exhaust

Hi all,

First world dilemma.

Car is in for some work - chains, head refurb, clutch and a load of other refreshment with brakes, abs pump and bushes.

Originally thought I'd add a miltek system to the job list if nothing else major crops up. However when I dropped it off the idea of 263 cams and a remap was dropped in my ear, since the labour on fitting will be included in the other work.

I think I'll be in the position where I'll only be able to afford one or the other.. What would you go for?

I'm told and have read the 263s will increase midrange punch which is my driving style. However I think a nice exhaust note would be satisfying. I could add the exhaust at later date though.

Cheers

Whilst mulling this over in my head and I'll chat with Vince next week anyway to see what's possible, but guessing I could get the cams fitted and wait on having the remap until the exhaust is fitted later. I'm guessing the remap needs to happen with the car in its "final" state with all engine mods done (at this stage anyway) so not worth remapping till exhaust is fitted. There isn't anyhting wrong with the standard system mechanically.

Getting the cams done while it’s in bits is a no brainer, no point pulling it down again later. The exhaust is just a bolt on and can be done at any time when funds allow.

Cheers tonedef, yep that is the way to do it. I wanted the exhaust but that will have to be de-prioitised if need be.

Assume I can run 263s on the standard map and I think I need to wait for mapping until exhaust is fitted or doesn't it not matter? Would rather not have to get it mapped twice!

Look at this beautiful G60 on youtube , you could eat your dinner off the engine bay, you wouldn't want to use the car and park it in the house :camp:.

Ill be down at Stealth shortly mate Ill check your car out, white is a great colour for the Rado I wouldn't give it a second thought. I think a red front grill + rear badge would compliment the white paint work though. Rembrandt does a front and rear set for around 80 euros I think.

Yeah I like the idea of the red badges.

You going down there today? The car looks nice from a distance, no dents etc. But check out around the window rubbers and you'll see the rubbishy blow over on the sides that annoys me. I can live with it for a few years yet and at least I don't have to worry about damaging the paint for now whilst learning detailing techniques.

Interior wise I'm probably going for leather outers and the porsche pepita trim on the centres. You gave me the ideas in the first place :). I was eyeing up those cloth recaro's on ebay at the moment but thought better of it on reflection.

Also - as the weather was so bad and the M1 mostly 50mph restrictions I managed to get 39.7 mpg out of it!

Edited by pfnsht

Cheers tonedef, yep that is the way to do it. I wanted the exhaust but that will have to be de-prioitised if need be.

Assume I can run 263s on the standard map and I think I need to wait for mapping until exhaust is fitted or doesn't it not matter? Would rather not have to get it mapped twice!

I ran my Schrick 268s and inlet manifold with OBD1 ECU and have since run the same cams with standard inlet manifold and OBD2 ECU without remapping either. You might not be getting the absolute best out of the cams but they should be fine to run on until you get the exhaust and a remap done.

Think they go from anything between 1k- 1.5 , however someone might pay more as they dont often come on the market . This one looks a bit tatty and the shtick emblem is missing and also cannot see the auxiliary parts that should come with it .

Yeah I like the idea of the red badges.

You going down there today? The car looks nice from a distance, no dents etc. But check out around the window rubbers and you'll see the rubbishy blow over on the sides that annoys me. I can live with it for a few years yet and at least I don't have to worry about damaging the paint for now whilst learning detailing techniques.

Interior wise I'm probably going for leather outers and the porsche pepita trim on the centres. You gave me the ideas in the first place :). I was eyeing up those cloth recaro's on ebay at the moment but thought better of it on reflection.

Also - as the weather was so bad and the M1 mostly 50mph restrictions I managed to get 39.7 mpg out of it!

No chap Im off there first week of next month to get a few jobs done, yours might be gone by then to be fair .

That was WVM VSR money at the time!

Wish it was, I'd have bought one.......been on the lookout for one at what I'd consider the right price (or more importantly what SWMBO would consider the right price) for almost twenty years!

Ah lads, crazy money! Much as I would love one, a Schrick is worth no more than £1000 (there was a group buy on them on here, and the I think they were well less than that), and a VSR maybe £1500 - and that should be with all the ancillaries present and fully working order. A lot of the ones you see for sale even when they do come up don't have everything with them and can cost a fair bit to put right.

Unobtainium they may appear to be, but remember that they actually do very little to the VR6 performance in practice considering how much they cost for the gains - so hard to justify the outlay at these kinds of prices. There's a smell of scene tax about it really.

Ah lads, crazy money! Much as I would love one, a Schrick is worth no more than £1000 (there was a group buy on them on here, and the I think they were well less than that), and a VSR maybe £1500 - and that should be with all the ancillaries present and fully working order. A lot of the ones you see for sale even when they do come up don't have everything with them and can cost a fair bit to put right.

Unobtainium they may appear to be, but remember that they actually do very little to the VR6 performance in practice considering how much they cost for the gains - so hard to justify the outlay at these kinds of prices. There's a smell of scene tax about it really.

I'm a bit bias because I have a Shrick but I actually think it looks better then a VSR , the Shrick manifold sort of looks like a fist grasping on to the engine , showing my arty farty side there ha ! Totally understand why the VSR has more appeal though as it is VW Motorsport so has heritage.

There are ways and means gentlemen , I purchased my car for 3k with a Shrick, you could always by a Rado on the market with a Shrick and source a stock Mani and then flip the car . I saw a couple with a Shrick for around 4-5 k , they probably sold for a lot less.

Edited by Keyo

cant wait to one day finish mine... all those goodies are sat in this... cams, gas flowed head, MLS, high compression wiseco pistons, over-bored, ported manifolds all matched, shrick manifold and new everything... all I need is the most precious thing.... time! :(

I've followed your readers rides Geeba. Sounds a great build. What's MLS?

I sometimes bulk at the cost of everything but a quick drive confirms the decisions - shame you can't do that so kudos to you.

For some reason I feel I need to be looking for one of those manifolds now. Well in the future. My poor kids are going to be subjected to camping summer holidays.... in the back garden at this rate.

Multi Layer Steel head gasket, reputed to raise compression

Wish it was, I'd have bought one.......been on the lookout for one at what I'd consider the right price (or more importantly what SWMBO would consider the right price) for almost twenty years!

Every VSR I'd seen until the last couple of years has been around the £1200 mark.

I'm a bit bias because I have a Shrick but I actually think it looks better then a VSR , the Shrick manifold sort of looks like a fist grasping on to the engine , showing my arty farty side there ha ! Totally understand why the VSR has more appeal though as it is VW Motorsport so has heritage.

There are ways and means gentlemen , I purchased my car for 3k with a Shrick, you could always by a Rado on the market with a Shrick and source a stock Mani and then flip the car . I saw a couple with a Shrick for around 4-5 k , they probably sold for a lot less.

Ah but the VSR was designed to be on the VR6 as standard and as such, you don't need to remove it to replace the spark plugs like you do the Schrick! Granted, its not particularly difficult to do but thats a poor design feature in my opinion.

cant wait to one day finish mine... all those goodies are sat in this... cams, gas flowed head, MLS, high compression wiseco pistons, over-bored, ported manifolds all matched, shrick manifold and new everything... all I need is the most precious thing.... time! :(

This looks mint.

Ah but the VSR was designed to be on the VR6 as standard and as such, you don't need to remove it to replace the spark plugs like you do the Schrick! Granted, its not particularly difficult to do but thats a poor design feature in my opinion.

I wouldn't let that put you off a Shrick it's nothing major and sparks don't get changed that often.

One thing I do wonder about though, what if the piggyback ECU failed would it be possible to replace this.

Edited by Keyo