Chaz!

VR6 not starting - Odd symptoms

Having some issues with my VR, and I’m hoping one of the experts on here can come to the rescue.

Car is a ‘92 VR6

Long story, Tuesday morning had to drive through a bit of a flood to get to work, but it was very close to the office, so I stopped almost straight after. Then at the end of the day, it started but cut out after around 30 seconds, no sputtering, just cut. Then it would crank but couldn’t get it to fire.

Left it at work and then this morning, still wouldn’t start, cranked but no firing, lunch time cranked and fired maybe once but wouldn’t run, end of the day tinkered with it a bit and it gradually fired more and more over a few goes, and then started running.

Got about a mile down the road and it cut out again, and would again crank but not run.

Checked ignition system, all seems okay, checked spark, it’s there, checked ecu plug, all clean, check fuel pressure in at the rail, plenty

Initially I thought something had got damp in the flood but I couldn’t see any water anywhere and now the only thing I can think is maybe the crank sensor has gone and is stopping the injectors from firing?

Can I check the crank sensor with a multimeter on continuity? Should get a pulse when cranking right?

If you’ve read all that thanks, and any help would be really appreciated!

Hi Chaz . I have a 92 as well. My thoughts are still going towards moisture in the electrics . If the car was running well before and then it got wet the chances are it’s still got moisture in it somewhere. The crank sensor is often first blamed but seldom the case . But it this instance considering where it’s situated I would check this first. I’m more mechanical so I can’t help with testing, but I would remove the sensor and check the plug for moisture, clean it with contact cleaner and see what happens.

Unplug the crank sensor and spray it with some contact spray.

How high was the flood , you ha ent sucked water into your intake ? Check air filter is dry .

A faulty crank sensor gives no spark or fuel injected - the ecu doesn’t know where the engine is in its cycle.

If is a dizzy engine take the cap off and look for water ingress. Have a look at the large round multi plug on the engine for ingress and corrosion.

After cranking and a non start pull a plug out and see if it’s wet with fuel to confirm the injectors are firing.

Hi Chaz . I have a 92 as well. My thoughts are still going towards moisture in the electrics . If the car was running well before and then it got wet the chances are it’s still got moisture in it somewhere. The crank sensor is often first blamed but seldom the case . But it this instance considering where it’s situated I would check this first. I’m more mechanical so I can’t help with testing, but I would remove the sensor and check the plug for moisture, clean it with contact cleaner and see what happens.

Okay, I can do that, moisture was my first thought too but as I said a check of the coil, dizzy, plugs and leads seemed to show no problems, and I do have a spark as it fired and ran.

There’s defo fuel in the lines as loosening the clip by the rail causes it to p### out

Unplug the crank sensor and spray it with some contact spray.

How high was the flood , you ha ent sucked water into your intake ? Check air filter is dry .

It was probably a good few inches, checked the filter and it was dry, as I said can’t see any water in the ignition electrics either. I did wonder if there is a fuel breather that perhaps I’ve pulled some water through

A faulty crank sensor gives no spark or fuel injected - the ecu doesn’t know where the engine is in its cycle.

If is a dizzy engine take the cap off and look for water ingress. Have a look at the large round multi plug on the engine for ingress and corrosion.

After cranking and a non start pull a plug out and see if it’s wet with fuel to confirm the injectors are firing.

Yes I was unsure whether I was getting fuel in the cylinders so will do this when I get back to the car with a plug socket. Currently it’s stuck at work, 30 miles from home

A few years back I had fairly similar issues on my VR after driving up a flooded motorway off ramp - ended up being related to the wiring to the cat being wet and corroded - there's the 02/Lambda sensor, and I think there's a temp sensor too, so worth getting a look underneath and checking it out.

A few years back I had fairly similar issues on my VR after driving up a flooded motorway off ramp - ended up being related to the wiring to the cat being wet and corroded - there's the 02/Lambda sensor, and I think there's a temp sensor too, so worth getting a look underneath and checking it out.

That's interesting, and definitely worth checking, thanks mate.

I'll have a look. Mine has a decat but still has a lambda fitted, don't think there's any other sensors down there though.

The only fuel breather that will be low enough to possibly be at risk in 3" to 4" flood water is the carbon canister, the base of the canister is open I believe to help vent, it's possible water could be sucked up if the recirculation value was open which is connected via two vacuum hoses, one from carbon canister and the other goes to the throttle body.

Or as the other guys have said could be water in the lower electronic sensors, or it could just be a coincidence that the car broke down there and then in water ?

The crank sensors can crack around their plastic covering, which then let in damp and can cause all kinds of starting problems.

Crank sensor and cam sensor are what tell the spark plugs and injectors to fire I think.

Coolant temp switch also known as the thermal transmitter, sometimes when these go the car won't fire up.

Also as FENDERVG has mentioned about the lambda sensor, it is rare but sometimes they can cause none starting symptoms.

Are you a member of the AA or RAC,

I'm just thinking of you getting your Corrado back home save and sound.

Si

Edited by vw rule

Just noticed your in Chester, I have vcds and could scan if you think it might help?

As VW Rule said - AA/RAC are also great at solving non start situations.

It sounds electrical putting 2 and 2 together. Probably crank sensor.

As VW Rule said - AA/RAC are also great at solving non start situations.

It sounds electrical putting 2 and 2 together. Probably crank sensor.

I can vouch for this , when I first got the Rado broke down twice in the first couple of weeks, first time was contacts on the battery needed a wire brush and he got me on my way. Second he checked fuse box and blown fuse , got me on the way both on the roadside .

Update, it’s now home. Yesterday was a much warmer day here, and after a morning in the sun, tried it at lunch and it started perfectly, so took the opportunity and drove it home, which it did flawlessly.

So I’m thinking it’s definitely water in a sensor or connector somewhere, I’ll try and go round and check/ test everything mentioned in this thread over the weekend. Thanks for all your help guys! Glad its home now.

Dox if you are close to Chester and wouldn’t mind scanning it that could be helpful!

Whereabouts are you?

Really? There was always fuel pressure though and it cranked solidly every time. I thought there’d be no power to the starter if the ignition switch went?

Update, it’s now home. Yesterday was a much warmer day here, and after a morning in the sun, tried it at lunch and it started perfectly, so took the opportunity and drove it home, which it did flawlessly.

So I’m thinking it’s definitely water in a sensor or connector somewhere, I’ll try and go round and check/ test everything mentioned in this thread over the weekend. Thanks for all your help guys! Glad its home now.

Dox if you are close to Chester and wouldn’t mind scanning it that could be helpful!

Whereabouts are you?

Nr Nantwich

Nr Nantwich

Ah okay, yeah not too far then. I’ll see how I get on checking it over and let you know.

Really appreciate the offer mate 👍🏻

No tbh mate I’ve not been to that, I hadn’t even heard of it, and Chester lakes is literally about 2 mins from my house haha!

Will have to check it out when the car is fixed!

OK, so I have 1 93 corrado and having issues with is not starting. I was driving one day and it just lost all power and died. It will turn over, I can smell gas if i crank it enought. seems to have no spark. I have replace relay 109 no luck. replaced distributor cap and cleaned rotor. Replaced plugs. I think due to fuel and no spark.

I have reseated the wiring harness to the ECU. I have ordered a new ignition switch and that speed sensor that is in the front of the car. Anything else I can check before the switch and sensor show up? Also,that big round wiring harnes, i have turned the ring on it both left and right and can not get it to disconnect to check the pins and reconnect it. Which way and i suppose to turn this to get it disconnected?