k14rn

looking for a radiator

The Worley ones on ebay seem to be the GPI Racing ones mentioned earlier in this thread (the detailed description mentions GPI Racing so I guess Worley are just distributors). Ultimately these are Chinese produced radiators so difficult to advise on quality but people on here seem to have had relatively good experience with them and the guys at Stealth also said they thought they were fairly good too. It's worth nothing they are missing the top bracket lugs so will need some modification to mount properly to the slam. They'll unlikely last as long as the original radiators but I also expect they are better than a lot of the mechanically jointed aftermarket options out there through the likes of Euro Car parts. Just a shame we can't get the Marston or Hella ones anymore.

Without many other options out there these days, these all aluminium ones are probably the best option we have apart from having a bespoke radiator made by a racing manufacturer. And for that you'd be looking at serious money.

Thanks guys. I’m swayed towards the alloy radiator. I have both the one slat, and three slat grilles, so hopefully I can get a combination that suits the frozen north

Jon, I’ve sent you a PM.

Just an update I found out that the late 1 opening grill rather then the three was to do with emissions to let the engine warm up quicker.

Has anyone tried the AKS Dasis radiator? I've seen a few of them for sale and they seem to be the only current option as a direct replacement. I'd go for an alloy rad but am concerned that if it's any thicker than standard or doesn't have the same auxiliary fittings then I'm going to have trouble mounting the a/c condenser as I'm already fairly short of space.

Is the core not always made of aluminium? I was assuming that "all alloy" meant that the plastic parts of the body on the sides and the casing was also the same...

Is the core not always made of aluminium? I was assuming that "all alloy" meant that the plastic parts of the body on the sides and the casing was also the same...

Yes sorry, possibly not too clear what I’m concerned about. The plastic ends of the standard one have some bosses in the front for self tappers, I use these for the condenser brackets. If they’re not there or if the overall dimension is any thicker I’m going to struggle getting everything in there!

That's the same model code,VW328, as the one I got from adrad.co.uk a couple of years back - it turned out to be a Hella/Behr one I think. No problems with it so far - I notice thought that the eBay listing shows it as being suitable for automatics or cars with air conditioning, but I don't think that's right as mine was listed as definitely only suitable for a manual/no aircon car, but I don't know what the differences are.

I bought one of the all aluminium ones from eBay for £150 as I was having trouble with leaks from the elbow flange and these come with that flange welded on as part of it. Didn't need to modify the car, only make a couple of brackets to fit it in replacement of the small L shaped brackets. The fan assembly bolted straight on and the bottom locating pins are in the right place. I will post some photos of this Friday if your interested?

• Like 1

I've had one in my car for three years and works great with no issues, I would say its an upgrade from the original as been lighter which is Ideal for a six cylinder engine in a small car. Also solid flange at the top corner.

Edited by Keyo