wafers

Joined years ago!

Hi all, I joined many years ago. I owned my first Corrado H369RHL in 2000 - a tornado ted 16 valver (it appears to have been on sorn since 2006 if anyone knows of it!) . I bought another valver in Bordeaux red in around 2003. I've dropped in here over the years as I'm still interested in them. Most recently I owned a mk2 Golf with a 2.8 VR6 conversion. 

I'd like to post a question in the main car chat area - any ideas why I'm not able to do so?

The forum has been upgraded this very week, contributors now have to donate £15 per year towards the cost of running the forum to use it, that's probably why you can't post?

The members have been asking for an upgrade for some time and some of the regulars have committed to donating towards the running costs.

4 hours ago, Dox said:

The forum has been upgraded this very week, contributors now have to donate £15 per year towards the cost of running the forum to use it, that's probably why you can't post?

The members have been asking for an upgrade for some time and some of the regulars have committed to donating towards the running costs.

Thanks for the reply. Sad times. 

I appreciate forums have running costs, but am also aware they're a dying breed. I haven't owned a Corrado for years, but like to read and post on here every now and then. I still have an interest. As a non-owner though, I can't justify spending £15 for the infrequent pleasure.

Social media has killed platforms like this, so forums now, more than ever need to try hard to keep encouraging members. Infrequent, longer-term members are stil part of the community. 

It's a sad goodbye. I've avoided it until now, but it I've finally given in and requested to join the Facebook owners page. 

Cheerio.

1 hour ago, wafers said:

Thanks for the reply. Sad times. 

I appreciate forums have running costs, but am also aware they're a dying breed. I haven't owned a Corrado for years, but like to read and post on here every now and then. I still have an interest. As a non-owner though, I can't justify spending £15 for the infrequent pleasure.

Social media has killed platforms like this, so forums now, more than ever need to try hard to keep encouraging members. Infrequent, longer-term members are stil part of the community. 

It's a sad goodbye. I've avoided it until now, but it I've finally given in and requested to join the Facebook owners page. 

Cheerio.

Your loss mate £15,00 to post a year is pennies- does not cost anything to look at threads so just be thankful paying members subsidise your ability to look on the forum and keep it alive. . Good luck searching for anything on FB and the uneducated advise. A Community is something where every one chips in by the way. 

Edited by Keyo

In fairness I doubt anyone would pay £15 to ask a single question? I wouldn't pay £15 to search for one of my previous Volvos or Skoda Rapid, but I would if I got a response meaning I could buy the Rapid back......

Maybe Toby could clarify if there's going to be any concession should someone for example wanted to search for a previously owned car by reg number? Or maybe a previous owner has come across something to reunite with a car they previously owned or a bereavement sale etc

8 hours ago, Keyo said:

Your loss mate £15,00 to post a year is pennies- does not cost anything to look at threads so just be thankful paying members subsidise your ability to look on the forum and keep it alive. . Good luck searching for anything on FB and the uneducated advise. A Community is something where every one chips in by the way. 

Nice one. Thanks for that. The forum is no use to me if I can't post.

6 hours ago, Dox said:

In fairness I doubt anyone would pay £15 to ask a single question? I wouldn't pay £15 to search for one of my previous Volvos or Skoda Rapid, but I would if I got a response meaning I could buy the Rapid back......

Maybe Toby could clarify if there's going to be any concession should someone for example wanted to search for a previously owned car by reg number? Or maybe a previous owner has come across something to reunite with a car they previously owned or a bereavement sale etc

My point entirely. I visit here very occasionally and dont post often. I'm still an early forum member though. I have no intention of paying £15 to ask one question, hence finally giving in with facebook. Forums are now few and far between and I admit I still like the concept. I'm a regular on a general car forum elsewhere and the model there is based on voluntary contributions as opposed to imposed membership fees for proper access. It's worked perfectly for the last two years. 

Anyway, I didn't come here to stir up a hornet's nest - I came to ask one question about a car model I'm still rather fond of. 

4 minutes ago, wafers said:

Nice one. Thanks for that. The forum is no use to me if I can't post.

My point entirely. I visit here very occasionally and dont post often. I'm still an early forum member though. I have no intention of paying £15 to ask one question, hence finally giving in with facebook. Forums are now few and far between and I admit I still like the concept. I'm a regular on a general car forum elsewhere and the model there is based on voluntary contributions as opposed to imposed membership fees for proper access. It's worked perfectly for the last two years. 

Anyway, I didn't come here to stir up a hornet's nest - I came to ask one question about a car model I'm still rather fond of. 

Ask your question here, if Toby removes the question we all know where the line is?

36 minutes ago, Dox said:

Ask your question here, if Toby removes the question we all know where the line is?

Fair enough. Here goes:

Does anyone know if any of the F plate Corrados still survive? They were press cars iirc. When I owned my tornado red C in 2000 (where are you now H369RHL?) I often used to see one on an F plate locally. I'm sure I read a thread on them on the forum years ago, but can't find anything now.

5 minutes ago, wafers said:

Fair enough. Here goes:

Does anyone know if any of the F plate Corrados still survive? They were press cars iirc. When I owned my tornado red C in 2000 (where are you now H369RHL?) I often used to see one on an F plate locally. I'm sure I read a thread on them on the forum years ago, but can't find anything now.

H369RHL has been sorn since Oct 2006. the last V5 was issued in Feb 2012, so there's some hope

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dox said:

H369RHL has been sorn since Oct 2006. the last V5 was issued in Feb 2012, so there's some hope

Yeah, I've tracked it for years. Cheers anyway though! I knew of it's sister car H368RHL as well - both were personal company cars (and then weekend toys) for two business partners for a whole decade. They were sold off at pretty much the same time and were both really well looked after, one owner, ten year old cars. 368 lost the fight six or seven years ago iirc. 

12 hours ago, wafers said:

Not seen one for a very long time. In fact the last one I saw (in any form) was the one featured on the cover of Autocar. It came up for sale about 2008. Was in Blackpool and was in really rough shape. I had my eye on it, but as much as I wanted a press car to add to the family, it was just too far gone. In fact, If I remember the advert correctly, his wife bought it for him as a project off ebay. Once he saw the state of the cills/arches he fell out with the idea (It certainly put me off).

It was also a time when early 16vs (without an MOT) were changing hands for £300+. And ones in good order £1000+ So not much interest in putting the effort in.

Running a check of their regs in the MOT checker looks like they've all been SORN (broken for parts ?) for at least 6 years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, James. said:

Not seen one for a very long time. In fact the last one I saw (in any form) was the one featured on the cover of Autocar. It came up for sale about 2008. Was in Blackpool and was in really rough shape. I had my eye on it, but as much as I wanted a press car to add to the family, it was just too far gone. In fact, If I remember the advert correctly, his wife bought it for him as a project off ebay. Once he saw the state of the cills/arches he fell out with the idea (It certainly put me off).

It was also a time when early 16vs (without an MOT) were changing hands for £300+. And ones in good order £1000+ So not much interest in putting the effort in.

Running a check of their regs in the MOT checker looks like they've all been SORN (broken for parts ?) for at least 6 years.

Interesting reading. What are the registrations of the press cars? 

5 hours ago, James. said:

Just found this. Press cars have BVV letters. Looks like you commented on this a decade ago! I wonder what became of Mave's old car?

15 minutes ago, wafers said:

Meant to add link: 

Pendine Sands!  No wonder they rusted away!

• Like 1

Nailed it! This is the very car and thread I was thinking of. I wonder what the hell happened to it? 

Also did some more digging on the registrations and found out more. It also turns out that there were more Corrados after F241BVV which followed the registration. So basically there were other F plate Corrados out there which were never press cars, but were sold to the general public. I wonder how many F plate Corrados were sold, and how many remain?