ABV-VR6

My long term VR6 Project

I have seen other high end cars in LHD from Japan to be fair though..

This is a prime example of a high spec car from Japan with Brabus. Have a read of the add how expensive these cars where back in the day.  Good 15k more then a Ferrari and rightly fully so a much better engineered car . 

The seller is a large importer might be worth someone looking for a Rado to ask them to source one , the ops car all the cabling and parts in the engine bay look so new and has rare parts. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-SL-600-V12-CONVERTIBLE-LEFT-HAND-DRIVE-AMG-WHEELS-BRABUS-BADGES/353047773681?hash=item52334981f1:g:IPgAAOSw1r5bUfgB

Edited by Keyo

In wiki it says VW never sent vr6 to Japan as over 2.0 l and too much tax. So people imported their own according to the above link and RHD from UK very expensive.   

Surely with all this level of trim it game with electric front recaro  seats too. Any chance of a picture of those too please. 

Just now, 1xshaunx1 said:

Surely with all this level of trim it game with electric front recaro  seats too. Any chance of a picture of those too please. 

24 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

In wiki it says VW never sent vr6 to Japan as over 2.0 l and too much tax. So people imported their own according to the above link and RHD from UK very expensive.   

It's a shame that Japan nutters site is still not running, the Op might of been able to find his car on there and a bit of history about it. 

8 hours ago, Keyo said:

You'll get a million people trying to buy them gauges now as well ha. Yes epic spelling mistake B is next to N on the keypad meant cubby , my eyesight is getting awaful since I turned 40 a few years back and really bad with screen glare. 

I thought it was  RHD in Japan- how come its LHD that is also a mystery.  

I hear you mate, same for me since I turned 40 four years ago I have the same eyesight issue. But because I'm ESL, I thought maybe it was a new word ha ha.

What's so special about my gauges anyways?

No, like I said at the beginning of my thread it's a LHD. I think they were imported straight from Germany.
I have NEVER seen a RHD Corrado for sale on the Japanese auction and I've been looking for almost 3 years.

7 hours ago, fendervg said:

Imported from the US? It has US spec seatbelts, warning light etc.?

It is RHD in Japan- we get lots of Jap imports here in Ireland because of that.

No way, US got electric seat belt and mine are manual just like in Europe, Canada and Japan I guess. Plus they never got the ABV like Keyo mentioned.
I'm positive it's from Germany. It is LHD here and we have a lot of RHD car, as a mater of a fact I own a RHD truck

The gauge pods are highly sought after and can change hands for a lot of money -- especially RHD drive versions, as the centre console is angled, so there are two types.

I have a set I bought new for about 120 euro, but that was a long time ago - recently they seem to be changing hands for 250-500 euro, and are very hard to find.

The US spec SLC had them as standard, but they were a rare option in Europe and the UK - shame really as all Corrados should have had them as standard IMHO.

We would like to see your seats  - we are wondering what they are and if unique to a Japanese import. We will be able to give you a valuation of interior ha. 

6 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I think that might be it. Someone imported it from Germany because he wanted one. Just like I've done with my truck.

Like we said they like their cars, they like special things and what's better than a LHD in a RHD country? So that might be just it too. I think if they had money to import it, they could afford whatever. You now I paid 16000 for it and here I could get one for 5-7000 so yeah it's not cheap to go that route..

Just now, Keyo said:

We would like to see your seats  - we are wondering what they are and if unique to a Japanese import. We will be able to give you a valuation of interior ha. 

My seats are manual not electric which I'm happy about! They are just black!

7 minutes ago, fendervg said:

The gauge pods are highly sought after and can change hands for a lot of money -- especially RHD drive versions, as the centre console is angled, so there are two types.

I have a set I bought new for about 120 euro, but that was a long time ago - recently they seem to be changing hands for 250-500 euro, and are very hard to find.

The US spec SLC had them as standard, but they were a rare option in Europe and the UK - shame really as all Corrados should have had them as standard IMHO.

I agree with you, should have been all the same. On such a small run of cars why going out having so much different options!
Thank you once again for explaining this to me!

1 minute ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Looks a very nice car, well done

Thanks mate! I was patient for almost 3 years before I put my hands on it! But eh, I was dreaming of one for 19 years so I could wait for the right one... Feels and looks like if the car was barely 5 years old! 

The car does look in a very well preserved condition so money well spent. Pretty standard seats but look in very good condition. 

1 minute ago, Keyo said:

The car does look in a very well preserved condition so money well spent. Pretty standard seats but look in very good condition. 

Yes I did wanted a solid base to start with. I want to keep it for life! 

I'm happy with standard things, the less you have the less will break... 

Did any of you ran into this part being ripped like this? Part is 021 129 101A and it looks like it's obsolete... Any ideas? I quick search let me found that Ford 736 4573 would work but I'm not sure I want a Ford parts in there! 

IMG_20200416_101046255_HDR.jpg

That’s the crankcase PCV valve - a common culprit for running issues and vacuum leaks .

It’s not strictly needed and can be safely deleted and a catch cam fitted - I’ve never found these solutions to be satisfactory but many ha e done it successfully.

The Ford part will be fine - the 2.9 was fitted to the Galaxy. You will also come across a few on fleabay.

I bought that ford part for my previous car with no problems, was the only only one could find. It’s the same part with a ford logo on it and a dealer price to match £50 I think. 

I would get the Ford one if your in North America - should get a good price. Looking at that picture you might be able to put a clean cut in and re use it. 

Edited by Keyo

Thanks to all 3 of you, your expertise is much appreciated! 

I'm not sure if we had that Ford model here? I'll check it out, otherwise, ebay. 

But Keyo, like you I was thinking when washing the engine bay (I had lots of time) I was wondering if I could use a shrink wrap? Obviously with the right diameter to cover it, like 2 or 3 on top of each other. What do you think of that idea? Otherwise yes like you said I could probably cut it and see if it's still possible to install it. 

Cheers to you guys

So I spent about 3 days in total cleaning up the engine bay! Toothbrush action! So glad it's done though, I wanted to do that since I bough the car. Both axle drive shaft boots were busted, mess was all over! It's about 90% completed. I also installed the under bonnet insulation. That was a mess to clean up too...

Here, that's what it looks like now! 

IMG_20200416_150837706_HDR.jpg

The car came with European plate tub so I had to buy one for NA. I feel like carbon fiber is such a nice complement to the silver color of the car. I was nice to install something on it too! 

IMG_20200416_154357989_HDR.jpg