ABV-VR6

My long term VR6 Project

I replaced my fan setup with a twin spal fan arrangement some years back, hence having two 2-pin connectors on the fan side.

The part numbers for the other end that goes to the fan controller are:

1J0 0906 234 (female)

1J0 0906 334 (male) - i'll just check the male part number agan and get back to you

Thanks Fla for the pictures and trying to help out with the plug much appreciated. 

I ended up buying a full loom coming off a VR6 1993.that way I should have all the plugs needed for now and in the future... It will probably be also convenient for when I convert to manual transmission. You did that as well Fla right? 

Alright Shaun, I just went to check and compare with your picture. Thanks mate, you've been a real good help! So like your plug, the new loom is exactly like it. So that confirms it, if I wanted to use this loom I would have to buy your style of fan module (mine is 357919506). I've paid $300 (about 175 GBP) for the loom and its probably $200 to get another module to fit it in which is too much! With the used loom I bought, I'll just fix it, keeping my module. To answer your question, I got it from a friend who stashed a bunch of old VW parts and he has a garage full. This was the last vr6 loom he had. He's nice enough to take it back except if you want it? Thanks so much for your help again, really appreciated it! 

IMG_20200411_120840820.jpg

17 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Thanks Fla for the pictures and trying to help out with the plug much appreciated. 

I ended up buying a full loom coming off a VR6 1993.that way I should have all the plugs needed for now and in the future... It will probably be also convenient for when I convert to manual transmission. You did that as well Fla right? 

You're most welcome.

Yes, i converted mine to manual quite a while back, i've got a load of pics which i'm happy to post up - i guess they've probably all gone from my build thread.  Had to do a couple of things with existing wiring to use the speed sensor but other than that it was quite an interesting project.

Best of luck

Hasan

Thank you Hasan! That part of the conversion with the speed sensor is the one that actually gets me puzzled. I think the rest is somewhat straight forward. I'm debating if while I'm there I should swap for a Polo box with a 02J shift mechanism. What did you do? Anyways I would love to see pictures of the sensor part when you have time. I think I do remember reading your post before the forum update and all the pictures were there?
Thanks again! Cheers

Hi ABV can you post a picture of the top engine trim we are trying to work out if it is factory, does it look stock or is it aftermarket, is there a part number on it ? 

Here is the thread if you can post on there. Thanks mate. 

Hi ABV, 

Any chance of a video or photo of your dash to see what else this Corrado has unique in the way of switches etc, has it got its original stereo ? 

Thanks 

Hi Keyo,

I just went to take a few pictures to show you the dash. I don't think there's anything different about it but you know WAY more on Corrados than I do. This is my first as well so I cannot compare really... You may see things that I don't. There's things that are obvious like NA cars had the blinkers in the front bumper as opposed the EU cars in the front fender. The displacement from 2.9 to 2.8. Other than that I didn't think there was other differences.

Before yesterday I didn't think much of this special Japanese cover, I though everyone with a 2.9 had this... Here all you see is 2.8 AAA so there's no references to compare. And as most people remove it to polish or paint the valve cover, I never realized. I was not going to install it back to be honest but now I am not sure what to do... It's looking like it's rare as a VSR lol. Got messages to see if I would be willing to sell it but at this point I don't know what to do or how much it is worth. So unique, you can't find a price tag anywhere on the internet. It's a badging thing a little bit like VR6 in Europe and Canada and SLC for the USA, just a different branding approach. Thing is in this case, Left hand drive German VR6 Corrados sent to Japan were probably a very rare thing back in the days and now 25 years later is probably close to be instinct if not. Very interesting to find these things out anyways and as you said yours and mine are not far apart in the fabrication line so that's pretty cool too.

So far what we know and discovered is:
My bonnet rubber trim is different (I know that because of you) I think it's to let more air in as there weather is extremely humid and hot.
My cover is different. I think it was made this way just to appeal more in a non traditional Japanese market.
I've seen my friends G60 from Japan with a CAT switch. This is again related to weather over there.
I've seen a G60 cloth interior supposedly designed just for Japan. The fabric as squares in it and apparently the fabric somewhat adapt to the temperature and make the ride more comfortable. Squares being different tones and I guess don't take the sun heat the same way. Like the snowboard racing base I had back in the day.

As far as I know my car is bone stock except for: radio, air intake, spark plug cables and front lights HID. Everything else as the VW OEM logo from the windscreen to the brake pads to the speakers...

That's all know for now! Maybe as I go deeper with my project, other things will emerge!

Cheers mate

IMG_20200414_095543497.jpg

IMG_20200414_095607770.jpg

IMG_20200414_095600432.jpg

Looks good. More or less standard except you have a 3 warning light ABS light - maybe you have an airbag and an engine check light.

Also looks like you might have aircon, but hard to tell from the photo.

Thanks for checking it out! 

I do have air con for now, I want to remove it as I never use this, gives me a migraine... 

There's two air bags in the car and my understanding is it's standard on 95 models? So your ABS light is different? 

Yep, ours is just an ABS light, nothing else. I think "Check engine" was a North American market regulations requirement.

Airbags came in in 1995, but very rare if even non-existent on UK cars - more common in Germany and Scandinavia. The steering wheel you have is specific to the airbag models.

Thanks mate to educate me, much appreciated. 

To be honest I would have preferred no air bags... I rather the non air bags steering wheel and would prefer a glove box instead of the passenger airbag... 

Ha ha - I can understand that - and they are first gen bags too, so more likely to take your head off than save you, even if they happen to go off as intended.

Probably easy enough to convert it, unless you are required by law to have them as the car had them when manufactured.

Ha ha I see you get my point! 

I did read it's very easy to swap the passenger side air bag for the glove box, it's pretty much straight bolt on and the glove box is not expensive to buy either... 

And ya, I would much rather have the standard steering wheel as well. That I haven't looked into yet. 

There's another debate in my mind as well wondering if I should keep that oem proper to the year or not? 

Never thought I would have that much debates with myself when I bought it lol. Welcome to the Corrado world I guess ha ha! 

Cheers mate

No seatbelt warning light in mine (the other light on your ABS lamp)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the photos the steering wheel alongside been an airbag also looks a lot better quality then a stock wheel ,  have a look at the front grill has your  front 3 slat grill got three openings or one ?  Picture of the cunny hole a gearstick area ?

The Japanese who have money when importing cars in the 80s/90s go full out, the amount of Hi specced Mercedes I see from Japan with ultra rare AMG parts are unbelievable. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Keyo

45 minutes ago, Tigerfish said:

No seatbelt warning light in mine (the other light on your ABS lamp)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This one!? 

IMG_20200414_152313462.jpg

Keyo, I don't have the front grill anymore... I got rid of it as I bought a new one from heritage 3 months ago... 

Excuse my ignorance but what is a cunny hole? Sorry! 

2 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Cubby hole, I think he meant. 

Thanks Shaun, alright here it is:

IMG_20200414_201146681.jpg

You'll get a million people trying to buy them gauges now as well ha. Yes epic spelling mistake B is next to N on the keypad meant cubby , my eyesight is getting awaful since I turned 40 a few years back and really bad with screen glare. 

I thought it was  RHD in Japan- how come its LHD that is also a mystery.  

Imported from the US? It has US spec seatbelts, warning light etc.?

It is RHD in Japan- we get lots of Jap imports here in Ireland because of that.

1 minute ago, fendervg said:

Imported from the US? It has US spec seatbelts, warning light etc.?

It is RHD in Japan- we get lots of Jap imports here in Ireland because of that.

Would be a 2.8 if imported from the USA ?- might of been a USA soldier based in Japan that imported it from Germany because they wanted the 2.9 block but never ended up taking it back to the States.