Keyo

Shift tower bushing kit

Since my engine is running so smooth its a shame to have a sloppy gear change -  have some new old stock linkages for the engine bay - however anyone purchased these bushings for the shift tower or recommend a set- I know 16V does a short shift kit .  The first gear is the worst and a little to very stubborn to put into gear  - I have three linkages for  the engine bay that all connect around the weight.  .

Anyone?  Do they look correct good quality ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231012964731?ul_noapp=true

Thanks 

Edited by Keyo

I've got that set, though they've been in my 'to do' box for more than 2 years now! Lol. Have your gearbox oil been changed recently? I'd start there then work back mate

4 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

I've got that set, though they've been in my 'to do' box for more than 2 years now! Lol. Have your gearbox oil been changed recently? I'd start there then work back mate

It has been chap and did improve it someone what = I know how to work it to its best of its ability but if you let a none corrado drive it they would just be trying to force into gear. 

I think this video explains the issues pretty well- the shifter tube wares down and the clip at the bottom of the shift lever and both are obsolete. Its ashame they have made a kit and not considered these two parts. Also I think the linkages in the engine bay can improve somewhat. 

You can get all the parts to rebuild both the tower and the gearbox end. Can work out expensive though.

Have you considered a daves16v short shift conversion - the have great feedback on here.

Also worth adjusting the linkage as per the Bentley, or you can do it by feel without the tool. Instructions by kevhaywire can be found on the forum.

I don't think you can mate you cant get the tube or the end clip on the shaft they are obsolete unless you can find some links would be if good is you can- 

Considering it. 

Have come across this short shift kit from Germany and has the obsolete parts. 

https://www.tzr-motorsport.de/epages/61911476.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61911476/Products/0599[14]

Manufacturer:

- GEMA Motorsport

suitable for:

- VW Corrado Bj. 1988 - 1995

- MKG: KR / 9A / PG / ABV

Description:

The shift path shortening is for VW cable manual gearbox (02A). The standard shift gate is disassembled and replaced by the new shift gate. The shortened shifting lever and another redirection shorten the shifting distance by 35%, since the Corrado already has a shorter shifting distance. The new shift unit has a thread for the shift knob of M12 x 1.5.

Technical specifications:

- 50% reduction in switching travel

- M12 x 1.5 shift knob thread

Assembly instructions:

- no welding work on the bodywork necessary.

- 1: 1 exchange for the series part.

Scope of delivery:

- 1x switching path shortening including assembly instructions

I’d still go for Dave’s kit myself over that one.

Which clip do you mean? The one that always falls off and makes the shifting go sloppy?

I have a collection I’ll dig out tomorrow and take some pictures. Some cake from diesel geek I think. Gruvenparts do cable end block replacements in alloy and a short shift bracket, but that only reduces sideways throw. To get all four direction reduced you need to modify the shift tower.

Thanks for the offer chap. 'I've purchased the Gema one mate I really like the look if it and will be good for someone to try something else to report on it- it does say though it is the last batch to be made.   Its the clip at the bottom of the shaft - the video on the post talks about it Fen and I heard mention Gema in Germany is the only place he has seen them as you could only buy them from VAG but was part of the complete unit and obsolete. 

Edited by Keyo

This is the Gema shifter and the parts that ware down on the stock one and are obsolete  Was £160.00 including shipping which is pretty good for a German engineered sports short shift kit. its the last batch so thought go on then. Are all the seals on it all ready or do I still need the seal kit off ebay as well from any other area in the gear shift.   No mods or cutting for this just bolt on and off and comes with instructions. Has a liftetime guarantee which I have never seen before from a carpart. 

shifter_LI (2).jpg

Edited by Keyo

It's difficult to see but looks like all the bushes are on there - the seals are only required if you drop the exhaust to remove it from underneath. The cable ends will have bushings in them that may need to be replaced.

Just so you know beforehand, the only way to remove the shift tower without some cutting is to drop it out of the tunnel - hence the exhaust issue - otherwise it is just a small section of metal lip that needs to be removed to be able to get the main fulcrum pin out. It's not visible once all the rim is on anyway.

There's still a few other linkages and bushings in play at the other end - the bowden bracket ones for for example are three reinforced rubber mounts that can be replaced with steel or alu, then there's the plastic ends of the cables, the plastic shift bracket and a guide piece. Will dig these out for you tomorrow and take a photo.

6 minutes ago, fendervg said:

It's difficult to see but looks like all the bushes are on there - the seals are only required if you drop the exhaust to remove it from underneath. The cable ends will have bushings in them that may need to be replaced.

Just so you know beforehand, the only way to remove the shift tower without some cutting is to drop it out of the tunnel - hence the exhaust issue - otherwise it is just a small section of metal lip that needs to be removed to be able to get the main fulcrum pin out. It's not visible once all the rim is on anyway.

There's still a few other linkages and bushings in play at the other end - the bowden bracket ones for for example are three reinforced rubber mounts that can be replaced with steel or alu, then there's the plastic ends of the cables, the plastic shift bracket and a guide piece. Will dig these out for you tomorrow and take a photo.

Thanks mate are these rubber bushings on the cables from factory  ? I'm actually thinking if investing in two new cables so was wondering if the bushes come on them - already collected some new old stock x 3  linkages and the weight so on the way to a great gear shift hopefully. 

They're actually on the bolts that hold the cable bracket to the gear box housing just in front of the shift tower in the engine bay, and act as a bowden stop. They look like little donuts and come in two parts. So they won't come with new cables. The cables themselves don't really stretch, it's just that the plastic ends break. If it was me I wouldn't invest in new cables as they will be pretty pricey from what I've seen but just buy the cable repair blocks from Gruven or the like (also plenty on the 'bay) and put them on instead - then they'll never break/ 

No, the bushes are part no 41/42 on drawing 3 on your link, holding down the bracket with 3 bolts - I'd still say don't waste you money on the cables, they will make practically no difference (must be close to 300 for the two) - lots of people doing conversions use old cables all the time without any problems. Buy the car something else nice instead!

1 minute ago, fendervg said:

No, the bushes are part no 41/42 on drawing 3 on your link, holding down the bracket with 3 bolts - I'd still say don't waste you money on the cables, they will make practically no difference (must be close to 300 for the two) - lots of people doing conversions use old cables all the time without any problems. Buy the car something else nice instead!

Ok thanks mate. 

Yep - they're the ones - but lots of places sell cnc/steel replacements that tighten up the shifting.

The main thing is also to get it properly adjusted  - VAG have a special alignment tool:

IMG_2065.JPG

IMG_2243.JPG

Yep. They’re the ones. They come apart top and bottom and replace the rubber bush and inner metal lining.

1 minute ago, fendervg said:

Yep. They’re the ones. They come apart top and bottom and replace the rubber bush and inner metal lining.

Ok chap so that covers both the part numbers 55 and 56 ? 

Are there any negatives using the alloy ones, vibrations through the gear stick etc ? 

Found these in my home city 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Audi-Seat-skoda-02A-02J-Custom-Billet-Gearbox-Cable-Change-Linkage-Bushe-153/253527583023?hash=item3b076be92f:g:enwAAOSwUP5cQfgS

Yes, covers both. I haven’t fitted mine yet, so can’t speak for vibrations etc. , but the mod gets very good feedback on vortex and no one mentions it.

2 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Yes, covers both. I haven’t fitted mine yet, so can’t speak for vibrations etc. , but the mod gets very good feedback on vortex and no one mentions it.

Thanks for your help be interesting to know if anyone has the metal billets fitted and if there were any negatives ? The rubber bushes and inserts are still available so need to decide which way to go, it maybe the rubber ones are great for ten- fithteen years or so and better all round with all things considered.  .  

I thought so too - they probably provide a little bit of damping, although the bolt and the insert are solid, so would transmit.

A couple of guys on an Irish forum here had them fitted without any problems.

17 minutes ago, fendervg said:

I thought so too - they probably provide a little bit of damping, although the bolt and the insert are solid, so would transmit.

A couple of guys on an Irish forum here had them fitted without any problems.

Sure might be a good mod for a tired tower and linkages but not sure about if you was replacing it all - might detract- the short shift kit might be a bit hard on the components so the billets might be a good idea.