mooG60

Front speaker removal.

To remove a front door speaker do I need to remove the whole door card  to get the plastic trim off,  of will the plastic trim prize off separately?

I can't see any obvious way to get it off,  it is so well fixed that it feels as if there might be screws on the inside of the card holding it on.

2 hours ago, mooG60 said:

To remove a front door speaker do I need to remove the whole door card  to get the plastic trim off,  of will the plastic trim prize off separately?

I can't see any obvious way to get it off,  it is so well fixed that it feels as if there might be screws on the inside of the card holding it on.

Your assumptions are correct and the door card needs to come off. It not too hard to do though just a pain if you’ve not done it before. 

Yes, as above - door card needs to come off. There is also a screw holding the card to the front of the door, inside the plastic speaker housing, so you will need to carefully prise the speaker grille off - this just lifts out.

The speaker itself is held in from behind by 4 x 7/8mm nuts that sit on four plastic studs, with a rubber washer in between. A deep socket or hollow ratchet is useful here.

Thank you chaps.

Best to check first though.... are the speakers the same for early and late door cards?

Cheers.

Yep, just the grille cover is different - speakers are the same size. Are you replacing both speakers or is one faulty?

Edited by fendervg

20 hours ago, fendervg said:

Yep, just the grille cover is different - speakers are the same size. Are you replacing both speakers or is one faulty?

Replacing 1 non working, or maybe I'll find a bad connection.

Might be an idea for me to get the radio out first and make sure the connection is ok that end.

Thanks!

I swapped these out recently. Less than 30 pounds for the pair from Halfords, but only went there as I had a voucher. Perfect fit but as with most non VW speakers they needed an adaptor cable at the electrical connection. (Ebay couple of pounds)

I'm no music expert and haven't tried them yet, but all previous reviews said they were better than the stock ones. Plenty of choice out there

20200408_110215.jpg

Yeah, I did the same - replaced with a pair of JBL GTO507c. I think a tin can with a piece of rope might be just as good as 20+ year old stock ones - although the door ones were not in as bad a condition as the rears, where the cone had separated completely from the speaker mount.