peterpp

VR6 Newbie

Hello Everyone,

A long standing school friend of mine has owned a VR6 for many years and I always loved the sound of the engine.  Late last year I decided to take the plunge myself and I am now the owner of a VR6 Storm - Mystic Blue.  Since there is a Corrado Forum sticker on the wondow, I suspect there are some members of the Forum who might recognise the car?  The engine pulls really well but, unsurprisingly,  the car has a number of issues that need sorting out and the knowledge on this Forum is going to be a very valuable resource!

Although I have done a lot of my own mechanics over the years I currently only have a single garage which is a bit too tight for working on the car... so my first question to the Forum is does anyone know of a garage/mechanic who know the Corrado located in Suffolk or Essex (I live near Ipswich).  If not I suppose I will have to make use of the Summer weather to do some jobs outside (at least I have plent of space on the drive !)
My second question is regarding the engine started getting quite hot this week.  

When  I checked the coolant level it was a tiny bit below the minimum level, but topping it up has made no difference. The strange thing is when I switch the ignition off the radiator fans start up, but when I switch the ignition on or start the car the fans are no longer running.  Wonder if this is a common/known issue?  However since it is getting hot even when crusing in top gear at 60 when I assumne the fans should not be needed would I be righ in suspecting the thermostat is not openeing fully?

This VR6 is by no means concours but it is in my opinion in too good condition to break so I am determined to fix the mechanical issues first and then sort out the paintwork.

I look forward to getting to know everyone

Pete

Corrado1.jpg

Edited by peterpp
Added Picture
  • Like 1

On the wiki section is all the checks for the cooling system, explaining which sensor brings in which fan speed etc. But I think the wiki is missing at the moment .... 

Is the metal fuse link ok at the fan controller in the engine bay?

Hi Cressa,

Thanks for the tip, but the fuse is OK. I have now read some of the cooling system thread and had a good look under the bonnet I can see the various temperature senders, connectors, etc so it's time to get the multimeter out & hopefully I won't be posting on here later on to say I'm still totally stumped!  I like the look of your corrado restoration btw

My cooling issue turned out to be a faulty thermostat.  Now it is time to get a new MOT but the ABS is not working.  It looks like an issue with pump, can anyone make any recommendations about getting the pump overhauled and the circuitry that sits underneath it tested & repaired? 

12 minutes ago, peterpp said:

My cooling issue turned out to be a faulty thermostat.  Now it is time to get a new MOT but the ABS is not working.  It looks like an issue with pump, can anyone make any recommendations about getting the pump overhauled and the circuitry that sits underneath it tested & repaired? 

Has it been scanned?

The car is at a local garage.  They have told me they have checked the wiring from the ECU in the passenger foot well, the wheel sensors are OK and the rest of the wiring is good. I'm not sure what the exact error codes are, I'll have to pop over to see them later this week... however they seem sure it's the circuitry under the pump and the best approach would be to remove it and have it tested repaired by someone who knows the Teves system that was fitted to the Corrado.  I need to ask if they have checked the pedal sensor on the servo first though...

I don't think anyone repairs these since the demise of BBA-Reman?

Your best bet is to get the pump and pedal sensor removed and find a TV or electronics repair place to reflow the solder joints - assuming they / you can't yourself?

OK thanks for the advice.. I can solder, so I'll get them to remove the pump & pedal sensor and I will do it myself.

18 minutes ago, peterpp said:

OK thanks for the advice.. I can solder, so I'll get them to remove the pump & pedal sensor and I will do it myself.

Take loads of pics, it doesn't take long to remove them, bleeding up after is a PITA

2 hours ago, peterpp said:

If you PM me your email address, I'll send over a guide I've written for the sprinter magazine on how to test & repair yourself mate. 

Just reading the November Sprinter - Sean's article on ABS sensor troubleshooting and pump repair is excellent, and well worth a read. I've taken the pump units apart a few times, and the main trouble I had was with the two long bolts holding the casing, if they are rounded.

I'm not sure if BBA will still look at Corrado pumps, but it could be worth checking with them - they do have a tester that can check all the valves etc. but generally they will just clean, check operation and replace the PCB with salvaged parts if they can get hold of them - actual replacement parts are not available.

7 hours ago, fendervg said:

Just reading the November Sprinter - Sean's article on ABS sensor troubleshooting and pump repair is excellent, and well worth a read. I've taken the pump units apart a few times, and the main trouble I had was with the two long bolts holding the casing, if they are rounded.

I'm not sure if BBA will still look at Corrado pumps, but it could be worth checking with them - they do have a tester that can check all the valves etc. but generally they will just clean, check operation and replace the PCB with salvaged parts if they can get hold of them - actual replacement parts are not available.

👍

Having a real issue with the ABS on the Campaign (6 months worth). Would love a recon unit (or even a known working one) so reached out to a couple of companies (with zero success). BBA never returned my request.

Then saw this:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3424940

What’s this article in the sprinter then ? Worth the entrance fee ?

If I wasn’t so busy with work, I may have had more time to look into it. 

1 hour ago, James. said:

Having a real issue with the ABS on the Campaign (6 months worth). Would love a recon unit (or even a known working one) so reached out to a couple of companies (with zero success). BBA never returned my request.

Then saw this:

Yeah heard they went bust - I have an abs unit in the shed off a breakers car but cant vouch for it as never driven the car .  

Edited by Keyo

4 hours ago, James. said:

Then saw this:

Have you tried the one you had off me?

10 hours ago, Keyo said:

Yeah heard they went bust - I have an abs unit in the shed off a breakers car but cant vouch for it as never driven the car .  

Thanks, but really looking for a known working one. It looks like the trouble starts when they’re left off the car for any length of time, and they start to fur up inside.

6 hours ago, Dox said:

Have you tried the one you had off me?

I haven’t. It’s been apart before and as the casings damaged I didn’t want to mess about installing it, only to want to change it further down the line. For something that important, I really would like a refurbed unit. I’ve not forgot about your bits though. I’ll call round soon, if that’s okay ?

6 minutes ago, James. said:

Thanks, but really looking for a known working one. It looks like the trouble starts when they’re left off the car for any length of time, and they start to fur up inside.

I haven’t. It’s been apart before and as the casings damaged I didn’t want to mess about installing it, only to want to change it further down the line. For something that important, I really would like a refurbed unit. I’ve not forgot about your bits though. I’ll call round soon, if that’s okay ?

This one has been off a car for about 7 weeks- I would keep it but mine is a very late unit and has a different part number ( 6 branch ).  If anyone us interested £65.00 plus postage - can get some photos as mentioned no evidence it is in good order as removed straight off a car I got trailed and broke due to rotten chassis. 

Edited by Keyo

13 hours ago, James. said:

Then saw this:

Written by sean - a member on here - he'd probably send you the article if you asked.

it describes how to open up the ABS pump unit and you can then inspect the ribbon cable and PCB for damage and reflow the solder joints , which in many (but sadly not all cases) will clear the faults and return it to action - the PCB sits at the bottom with the way it is fitted and is subject to a fair bit of heat soakage and crud being thrown up at it.

Oh, and if you are feeling rich, VW Classic Parts list the full pump unit for nearly 2 grand still!

8 hours ago, James. said:

I'm pretty much hibernating until March (cold weather doesn't suit me), so no rush. I've recently broken another MK4 so the Storm is virtually held captive by Golf bits anyway

12 hours ago, Keyo said:

This one has been off a car for about 7 weeks- I would keep it but mine is a very late unit and has a different part number ( 6 branch ).  If anyone us interested £65.00 plus postage - can get some photos as mentioned no evidence it is in good order as removed straight off a car I got trailed and broke due to rotten chassis. 

Is it a VR6 (6 branch) module ?

9 hours ago, fendervg said:

Written by sean - a member on here - he'd probably send you the article if you asked.

it describes how to open up the ABS pump unit and you can then inspect the ribbon cable and PCB for damage and reflow the solder joints , which in many (but sadly not all cases) will clear the faults and return it to action - the PCB sits at the bottom with the way it is fitted and is subject to a fair bit of heat soakage and crud being thrown up at it.

Oh, and if you are feeling rich, VW Classic Parts list the full pump unit for nearly 2 grand still!

Thanks, he’s kindly emailed it over.

I’ve no issue with shelling out for parts, but hells teeth that’s supercar numbers.

4 hours ago, Dox said:

I'm pretty much hibernating until March (cold weather doesn't suit me), so no rush. I've recently broken another MK4 so the Storm is virtually held captive by Golf bits anyway

I thought your wife wanted the garden back ?

12 minutes ago, James. said:

Is it a VR6 (6 branch) module ?

Thanks, he’s kindly emailed it over.

I’ve no issue with shelling out for parts, but hells teeth that’s supercar numbers.

I thought your wife wanted the garden back ?

Yes it is a 6 branch one - it was a 16v but one of the previous owners upgraded all the brakes and also the abs unit. Can get some pics if your interested - cut the brake lines going into it rather then unbolting everything  as acts like a bit of a seal for the unit whilst in storage- also put into plastic bag tied up . Has the part number on the unit. Its been priced as parts as do not no if in working condition. 

Edited by Keyo