Cressa

Replacement Schrick rpm switch controller

Does anyone know of where one could be purchased from. Either original or an alternative replacement.

If you have a different one on your car, could you please post up some info about it please 

Thanks for your time 

Give Vince at Stealth a shout - he's pretty familiar with them.

Did you try contacting Shrick? They also come up on their own on ebay once in a while.

I wonder if you could use a shift light set up to fire the solenoid?

18 hours ago, Dox said:

I wonder if you could use a shift light set up to fire the solenoid?

I was toying with that route, but not actually bought one.

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/omex-shift-light-pro-omslp

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/files/transfer/technical/doc/omslpwiringinstructions.pdf

The instructions state the box can drive up to 0.5A (or 6W), so should drive a relay.

Thanks gents, keep it coming.  When I get 5 mins I shall try and contact Stealth. I suppose I could.just email him now... 

I am scouring the classifieds 

And have considered the shift light idea. I dont think I know enough about them really. Could they switch at 4k and close something at 3950..

I need more time in my life 😩 

Thread revival  ish... I did speak with Vince, who explained that the Schrick one is obsolete and that I need to get an rpm controller,  MSD do one that requires an rpm add on. 

Turns out that the one that came with my Schrick is a JEGS 40826. Now I know what it is I can play with getting it to work. I will post up if successful as it is a cheaper alternative to nothing 🤣🤣

Update, the Jegs unit is a fantastic digital piece of kit. Works perfectly for negative switching  of the solenoid valve for the Schrick. Easily programmed for 6cyl - 4000rpm - NC valve. Wired into the ECU wiring easy enough and I've put mine in a weatherproof box wedged in next to the ECU. 20201231_150241.jpg20201231_151059.jpg

Only downside seems to be that if you want one it has to come from the USA. Well worth the wait as the Schrick switching unit is well and truly obsolete  and the Jegs is cheaper than MSD.

20210102_133346.jpg

Thread finished for me, but this may just help someone else one day 👍

Fair play mate that is good to know these original piggy backs are not going to last for ever. 

I really haven’t a clue what you are on about. Well done for sorting  it out, stuff like that makes my head hurt 😖

🤣🤣

1 hour ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I really haven’t a clue what you are on about. Well done for sorting  it out, stuff like that makes my head hurt 😖

🤣🤣

Its a mini ecu that reads the revs  off the main ecu - when it detects 4000 revs it triggers a signal to  a vacuum bottle that is part of the Schrick kit- the bottle then releases vacuum pressure to a solenoid on top of the schrick which  is attached to a flap in the schrick (solenoid has a rod attached to the flap which lifts it to move) which when moves changes the size of the inlet runners therefore achieving best torque throughout the range - you can set the mini ecu to also trigger the flap at any revs but 4000 revs is the recommended setting. That is my understanding of it anyway. 

Edited by Keyo

24 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Its a mini ecu that reads the revs  off the main ecu - when it detects 4000 revs it triggers a signal to  a vacuum bottle that is part of the Schrick kit- the bottle then releases vacuum pressure to a solenoid on top of the schrick which  is attached to a flap in the schrick (solenoid has a rod attached to the flap which lifts it to move) which when moves changes the size of the inlet runners therefore achieving best torque throughout the range - you can set the mini ecu to also trigger the flap at any revs but 4000 revs is the recommended setting. That is my understanding of it anyway. 

Nearly..... at 4k rpm the signal is sent from the ecu to the rpm switch box/ Schrick controller, then to the solenoid valve ( black skinny thing with 2 wires and 2 pipes at).

This solenoid is what moves from Normally closed to Open at your setting, normally 4k. This unit allows the vacuum through to the vacuum operated actuator which is on the manifold and connected via a rod. This in turn then opens the flap . 

The bottle reservoir to me is a piece of magic but has no electrical connections, just vacuum lines in and out. Connects from the vac take off point to the reservoir, to the solenoid valve then to the actuator.....

Clear as mud, unless you just fitted it yesterday 😎 and boy have I spent hours researching and thinking of this.

Now I feel that I could fit 10 a day after stressing over doing this 🤣🤣

Clear as mud, unless you just fitted it yesterday 😎 and boy have I spent hours researching and thinking of this.

Now I feel that I could fit 10 a day after stressing over doing this 🤣🤣

I Agree, weather it’s fans, sunroofs or the above and more, you end up being a bloody near expert in getting that project sorted as no one else has a clue you take it to or you dare not let the monkeys near it. Or the one expert who might be able to sort most things is expensive and far away. 

You can borrow my bonnet if you want Cressa, it’s just leaned up in the garage doing nothing at the mo, I have a new one on the car. My car used to have a schrick at some point and has a cut in the bonnet frame structure. 

25 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Rubbish picture of the solenoid valve!

16096788214408918030756185835277.jpg

I wonder if you can buy this little black solenoid still ?  Do you have a part number will be vag or ford i guess. 

Edited by Keyo

2 minutes ago, Keyo said:

I wonder if you can buy this little black solenoid still ?  Do you have a part number will be vag or ford i guess. 

They are around and Vag, used on lots and lots of cars. Essentially it is an electrical switch controlling the vacuum from passing through

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201826625041

Slightly different but does the job. And would only need the electrical plug changing

Screenshot_20210103-133228_eBay.jpg

21 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

You can borrow my bonnet if you want Cressa, it’s just leaned up in the garage doing nothing at the mo, I have a new one on the car. My car used to have a schrick at some point and has a cut in the bonnet frame structure. 

I will definitely take you up on that offer, thanks 👍just need to think about what tool to use to cut it with !!

11 minutes ago, Cressa said:

They are around and Vag, used on lots and lots of cars. Essentially it is an electrical switch controlling the vacuum from passing through

Slightly different but does the job. And would only need the electrical plug changing

Nice one. 

23 minutes ago, Cressa said:

I will definitely take you up on that offer, thanks 👍just need to think about what tool to use to cut it with !!

Grinder with cutting and grinding disks and a dremel. 

26 minutes ago, Cressa said:

So you are sending that a signal to operate at 4K revs via your Jegs to open the flap to get more torque 

6 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Grinder with cutting and grinding disks and a dremel. 

Cover everything up real good too as the sparks from the steel will burn into everything and go rusty in time

56 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Cover everything up real good too as the sparks from the steel will burn into everything and go rusty in time

Definitely. 

Keyo I found this with the correct plug on, but would need a clip or tyrapping 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133498138669

6 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Definitely. 

Keyo I found this with the correct plug on, but would need a clip or tyrapping 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133498138669

Im cool chap mine is working but building up spares for the schrick as all these parts are getting older- the circular solenoid  in the manifold is really hard to get was from a Ford but Ive got an nos one of them from schrick with flap rod. Got it from Spanish ebay a year back. 

ssss.jpg

Edited by Keyo

21 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Im cool chap mine is working but building up spares for the schrick as all these parts are getting older- the circular solenoid  in the manifold is really hard to get was from a Ford but Ive got an nos one of them from schrick with flap rod. Got it from Spanish ebay a year back. 

ssss.jpg

Ooo very nice. 👍

1 hour ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

So you are sending that a signal to operate at 4K revs via your Jegs to open the flap to get more torque 

1 hour ago, Cressa said:

Cress does that one work on my one has part number 191806283A (golf 191) 

sol.jpg

sol1.jpg