seanl82

DPF cleaning

Hi all, does anyone know the intricacies of DPFs and can advise on the following?P

I have a 2015 Pug 308 hdiBlue, and I recently had a 'engine fault - seek assistance' warning come up on the MFD. Not having a diagnostic system, I took it to the dealer who has said the EOLYS fluid needed topping up (£115+VAT) and also that the DPF needs replacing (£1100+VAT!!!!).

Now the car has done 120k due to my 81 mile each way daily commute, and looking online it seems that 150k KM is pretty standard for them to top up with ash and need cleaning/replacing. The soot should have been burned off due to the length of time I spend on the motorway but that leaves the ash. The fact is that with the mileage, that price combined is probably 1/3 the value of the car which seems ludicrous to me. I've instructed them to top up the fluid but not replace the DPF.

Now my question is, is it worth replacing with an aftermarket DPF (Are they reliable?), can it be effectively cleaned? Or are they spinning me a line to fleece me and it'll likely go on for a good while yet? 

I've actually been contemplating getting a transporter or similar recently, so if it'll last a good few miles then I can chop it in, but morally I don't like the thought of that if it could come back on and potentially leave someone stranded in short order....

Any help appreciated. Thanks all! 👍

Edited by seanl82

2 hours ago, seanl82 said:

Hi all, does anyone know the intricacies of DPFs and can advise on the following?P

I have a 2015 Pug 308 hdiBlue, and I recently had a 'engine fault - seek assistance' warning come up on the MFD. Not having a diagnostic system, I took it to the dealer who has said the EOLYS fluid needed topping up (£115+VAT) and also that the DPF needs replacing (£1100+VAT!!!!).

Now the car has done 120k due to my 81 mile each way daily commute, and looking online it seems that 150k KM is pretty standard for them to top up with ash and need cleaning/replacing. The soot should have been burned off due to the length of time I spend on the motorway but that leaves the ash. The fact is that with the mileage, that price combined is probably 1/3 the value of the car which seems ludicrous to me. I've instructed them to top up the fluid but not replace the DPF.

Now my question is, is it worth replacing with an aftermarket DPF (Are they reliable?), can it be effectively cleaned? Or are they spinning me a line to fleece me and it'll likely go on for a good while yet? 

I've actually been contemplating getting a transporter or similar recently, so if it'll last a good few miles then I can chop it in, but morally I don't like the thought of that if it could come back on and potentially leave someone stranded in short order....

Any help appreciated. Thanks all! 👍

Have you tried giving it some high revs- sometimes it unchokes it famous in the transit world. just below the red and a few minutes.  I did this and a crap load of ash spat out the exhaust and ran like a dream afterwards- not an adblue vehicle though. 

Edited by Keyo

No issues with EGR as far as I'm aware and they've not mentioned it, so assume it working correctly. Yeah it's a euro 6 so adblue as well. That's all good as I get a countdown when low and it won't start if empty.

Have you looked at the mobile franchise people, that claim they can clean and regenerate them? I only stumbled across them whilst looking at a carbon clean for the Corrado.

They seem well worth a try and a garage near me does it. Worth checking reviews first on finding a reputable person and could save you £££££££££££s

Collected it and the warning is now off. Hope it stays off for at least 24 hours as I'm chopping it in for a Tourneo Custom tomorrow! Lol

Thanks all for responses btw. I did read that there are certain companies that can clean the ash out with various fluids etc but not seen much by way of evidence that it's actually very effective beyond the short term.