ABV-VR6

PCV valve or catch can?

Hello all! I'm cleaning the rest of my parts while waiting for the engine to be ready and now it's time to deal with the PCV valve. A commonly broken parts that's been NLA for a long time, Ford replacement is NLA as well. Mine was cracked and I managed to find 2 decent used ones. But now that I know more about it I'm starting to think that maybe I don't want it anymore. Removing it won't bring a CEL and will also keep my throttle body and head cleaner. I also like the cleaner look and the fact that vacuum leaks are definitely going to be less of an issue as it seems that it is the number one part creating it in the system. 

After a lot of reading, my understanding is that catch can where invented first and those PCV valve were brought in as a no maintenance parts (oil catch can needs purging here and there). Seems great in theory and I would not post this thread if the valve was readily accessible and at low cost, obviously not the case! If it was, I would replace it every couple of years to keep things clean just like I do with other filters. 

So that's my reasoning at the moment! I'm thinking of installing a catch can to replace it. What do you mates think of this? Any of you run a catch can on their setup? 

Cheers! 

Funnily enough I’ve come to the same conclusion and have been experimenting lately with one  19mm hose in 16mm hose out and a 10mm drain pipe with a 3/8 ball valve on the end for drainage. The 10mm is the latest experimental addition for easier drainage and a visual idea of what’s happening 

DE1DFF3A-DC4E-4514-812D-FC483C72AC79.thumb.jpeg.99ec9f45b7ee07d9cb5cbd6a3813b0e8.jpeg

My first experiment of one reveals just how much water mixes with your oil while the car is stood. The car hadn’t moved for about 3 weeks fitted the can and went for about 30 mile. Look at what nasty has been going through my intake system.

513C1EB7-81BC-4BBF-A09B-51ACEEBFDE34.thumb.jpeg.e55c5297fe0ac7c8d952b16ec653a569.jpeg

😳 yuk.... got to be a good idea. Whose make of catch can do you have there Shaun?

Cheap Chinese one off of EBay. I bought it for £15 on 2 Jan, I can’t believe it’s gone up over 33% in a month. The pipes and fittings cost the most698E99E0-3605-4A96-A2C7-356065A214E2.thumb.png.a33a0938f8eb67c788c275fd468d03f1.png

3 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Funnily enough I’ve come to the same conclusion and have been experimenting lately with one  19mm hose in 16mm hose out and a 10mm drain pipe with a 3/8 ball valve on the end for drainage. The 10mm is the latest experimental addition for easier drainage and a visual idea of what’s happening 

DE1DFF3A-DC4E-4514-812D-FC483C72AC79.thumb.jpeg.99ec9f45b7ee07d9cb5cbd6a3813b0e8.jpeg

My first experiment of one reveals just how much water mixes with your oil while the car is stood. The car hadn’t moved for about 3 weeks fitted the can and went for about 30 mile. Look at what nasty has been going through my intake system.

513C1EB7-81BC-4BBF-A09B-51ACEEBFDE34.thumb.jpeg.e55c5297fe0ac7c8d952b16ec653a569.jpeg

Great pics Shaun, although yours is boosted isnt it? 

I'm looking for a good place to mount the can - only had it about 7 years in the box! - but if there were the space at the front that would be ideal. The fittings i have are only for a 16mm hose though - where did you get the 19mm fitting?

Hasan

3/8 x 19mm off of EBay, just type in the search, the size you want and the type of thread, it all came from EBay. Used loctite 577 to seal the threads. 

Very interesting Shaun! I don't think the amount of gunk you collect is only the result of forced induction. I installed one back in the days on my 2L 16V GTI 1991 and I was shocked by the amount collected... In your case you have removed the air box so you have space for it. I would like to see if it's possible to accomplish tucked in under and behind the engine? I guess when it will be time to install it, I will investigate this. The more I think about it, the more I'm incline to do this. Cheers!

I agree about it shouldn’t matter that mines a turbo so much, as it’s a crank case breather. All engines have them. 

That's exactly it, it release the pressure from the crank and instead of releasing it in the atmosphere, it's being vacuum trapped to then burn again by the engine. Catch can is a better solution... 

Stinks though, I need some sort of valve to stop it evaporating and causing a stink in the intake and out the K&N

I agree mate, that needs to be considered in the design. I'm going to brew on this and share what I come up with when I work on this. Cheers! 

What have you done with the small diameter hose that is connected to the blue evap solenoid and three way pcv hose which is part of the carbon cannister that releases when to much pressure in cannister  - i believe this is combined with the evap  system and burns off petrol fumes . 

Edited by Keyo

10 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

I think I've read it needs to be looped in the circuit? 

Will have to be or you’ll be sniffing in petrol fumes through the heater fan . 

interesting point that if that evap fumes delivery to intake is 1 percent out can cause 20 percent . 

Edited by Keyo