ger040

my supercharged g60

Had a few hours to spare today so took my g60 out of its hibernation and give it a quick blast 

upon start up it stalled as i believe the cold start kicks in but another turn of the key and it settled to a nice steady idle

Checked the electric items all ok with the exception of the sunroof - awaiting failure to be honest.

Here are a few pics.

IMG_1876.JPG

IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1878.JPG

IMG_1879.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

IMG_1880.JPG

She looks a good one.

It is worth having a check of the sunroof. Just remove the inner trim panel, then unscrew and remove the outer panel. You can then see what the cables are doing. It can be wound manually from the motor. 

Be nice to have it all working

25 minutes ago, ger040 said:

“awaiting failure”

Suggestion for a new forum title

Edited by James.

40 minutes ago, Cressa said:

She looks a good one.

It is worth having a check of the sunroof. Just remove the inner trim panel, then unscrew and remove the outer panel. You can then see what the cables are doing. It can be wound manually from the motor. 

Be nice to have it all working

During its restoration i did remove it stripped and cleaned it using the approved grease but its 30 years old  !!

Wow that is an absolute cracker mate late body to like mine and also a Midlands car- cant beat a red G60 with black leather my mate would krave for that car ha.  Also a blessed car by Jah. 

Edited by Keyo

Thanks all,

Looking back i paid somewhere in the region of £650 for this car in 2010 ( a used supercharger costs as much today) - a last minute ebay bid after having a quick chat with the seller. cost roughly the same again to get it to this side of the irish sea.

Although quite a bit of money has had to be spent on it

Mileage when bought it had just turned 108000 today its around 110000 - just the occasional summer weekend run out

Came with stacks of paperwork including service book and a computer print out of all work carried out by VW.

Unfortunately i have lost a lot of pictures of its restoration but have managed to retrieve some so will upload them as soon as i can

Yes, we like pictures. What with the trade in scheme and lack of interest, prices were at an all time low around that time. Good show that man for having a knowledgable eye 😉.

2 minutes ago, James. said:

Yes, we like pictures. What with the trade in scheme and lack of interest, prices were at an all time low around that time. Good show that man for having a knowledgable eye 😉.

Its interesting one should think what are the 650 cars now that could be- im thinking cars like the Audi s3 mk1 and so on will be the sure winners but its all about the storage. 

Some bargains were available around 10 years ago. I bought my first Corrado in 2011, a 1.8 16v that had a ton of engine and gearbox work for £550. I bought a VR6 that needed a bit of work to get roadworthy (not rot) in 2014 for £620, but that only cost a couple of hundred to sort and was a good donor to swap some of my bits too. Lucky to find one close to breaking for £3k now. 

There sure were. I remember being stood in a car park talking to Jay Renshaw about the £1000 he’d just paid for a one owner VR with full black leather Recaro. He thought he’d over paid and would have to break it to get his money back. I just said it  was a diamond in the rough and time would prove me right 😎. Just sayin...