tonedef

VR6 Alternator with 7 Groove Pulley

Does anyone know of a reliable source of alternators with the original 7 groove pulley? Everything I look at seems to be 6 groove and when I quote the part number 037 903 023 suppliers just tell me the 6 groove is a direct replacement even when I show them a photo and say count the grooves!

I got mine from TPS in Nottingham.  Was a couple of years ago now but worth a try

Swap over pulleys?

Golf v5 / v6 is usual upgrade with a pulley swap?

Edited by Dox

Thanks for the replies, as I thought.

I had looked at swapping the pulleys but didn’t have a long enough 10mm 12 point driver (for the new one) or T45 (for the old one) to go through the centre of a socket and stop the shaft turning. Looks like I’m tool shopping tomorrow!

Can you use a water pump pliers or spanner on it to hold it steady?

You can also get them undone one by one by holding the other one steady in the other direction - but the last one will be a pain then!

Old belt around the pulley and clamp in a vice? You'll need an assistant and rattle gun if possible

I’m sure I’ll manage to heath something up to do it, now I know there’s no better alternative I’ll go for it!

1 hour ago, tonedef said:

I’m sure I’ll manage to heath something up to do it, now I know there’s no better alternative I’ll go for it!

5 hours ago, tonedef said:

Does anyone know of a reliable source of alternators with the original 7 groove pulley? Everything I look at seems to be 6 groove and when I quote the part number 037 903 023 suppliers just tell me the 6 groove is a direct replacement even when I show them a photo and say count the grooves!

Ask Vince who he sends his off to be refurbished- my replacement was a Bosch and upgraded to 120 amp form memory it was a 90 before so bonus  ha. 

Edited by Keyo

1 hour ago, tonedef said:

Don't clamp the pulley, wrap the pulley with the belt and clamp the belt into the vice, pulley above the vice

Step 1,  7 groove pulley removed without too much grief, same can’t yet be said for the one in the new alternator!

FA60CC10-299D-4EAA-B6D1-8C2A68F1C4A5.jpeg