flyingmatt555

Schrick VGi Inlet Manifold

Yup :( could keep the bit you cut out to weld back in if you get rid I guess. Not a huge issue either way but for me it would upset me to see something cut out.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, flyingmatt555 said:

Do you really need to cut the bonnet on the Corrado to install it ?

๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚, yes you do. But the pain of the cut is worth the smile driving it puts on your face.

Well done in getting oneย  ๐Ÿ‘

On 9/2/2022 at 10:43 PM, flyingmatt555 said:

Gentsย 

I've managed to find one in Ireland! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Scratch that. I think someone tried to scam me, and used pictures from an old forum. ๐Ÿ™„

Anyone know of this Insta account ?ย 

Screenshot_20220905-235452_Instagram.jpg

Looks dodgy, and never seen that seller before - I'd never buy off insta anyway - to be honest, there are very, very few people in Ireland that would be selling these kind of parts and they would all be known in the community - check out the autostadt forum and fb page - something like a Shrick would have come up elsewhere. Did they give you a location? Hopefully you got out before ending up out of pocket.

If you do end up buying from Insta or Europe only do PayPal Goods and Services and offer to add the fee so they don't miss out and as a goodwill gesture to accomodate your requirements. If they so no then not worth the risk. Yeah I see it from the sellers point of view that you might fraudulently claim as well butย that's just a price of selling a valuable item imo and surely if the item is well described, photographed to high detail and the package insured and sent appropriately there should be little room for the buyer to mess about.

ย 

22 hours ago, fendervg said:

Looks dodgy, and never seen that seller before - I'd never buy off insta anyway - to be honest, there are very, very few people in Ireland that would be selling these kind of parts and they would all be known in the community - check out the autostadt forum and fb page - something like a Shrick would have come up elsewhere. Did they give you a location? Hopefully you got out before ending up out of pocket.

Luckily I had a thought to just have scout around at the ancillary pics I was asking the guy about and as luck would have it, apart from the top view of the VGi the rest of the pics were all taken from a 7 year old advert from Vortex! When I challenged him he said very little so I backed out and reported the account. Hard to find genuine people these days! ๐Ÿ˜

40 minutes ago, flyingmatt555 said:

Luckily I had a thought to just have scout around at the ancillary pics I was asking the guy about and as luck would have it, apart from the top view of the VGi the rest of the pics were all taken from a 7 year old advert from Vortex! When I challenged him he said very little so I backed out and reported the account. Hard to find genuine people these days! ๐Ÿ˜

Yeah, I had a quick look on some of the "seller"'s other items and couldn't help but be amazedย  at theย  huge variety of flooring there seemed to be in their house!

Was the price too good to be true? I'd expect starting (negotiation) price to be around ยฃ1500?

ย 

When you place a wanted ad for rare / expensive items you're very exposed to these type of things. I'd want to see a pic with the sellers name and date written on paper next to the actual part - I don't think that's too much to ask?

Why are you so desparate to own one?

18 hours ago, Dox said:

Was the price too good to be true? I'd expect starting (negotiation) price to be around ยฃ1500?

ย 

When you place a wanted ad for rare / expensive items you're very exposed to these type of things. I'd want to see a pic with the sellers name and date written on paper next to the actual part - I don't think that's too much to ask?

Why are you so desparate to own one?

I actually asked for the same thing and he never responded... nevermind.... wasn't to be!ย 

I am giving the engine a refresh and overhaul as the car has been stood 8 years, I also have alwaysย fancied the VGI/VSR as a jbolt to improve its performance a little. That's all.ย 

Some years back there it was suggested that the manifold from a 24v vr could be used with a bit of work. Obviously not a plug and play setup but might be worth considering/exploring?

8 hours ago, fla said:

Some years back there it was suggested that the manifold from a 24v vr could be used with a bit of work. Obviously not a plug and play setup but might be worth considering/exploring?

USA got 12V MK4s with factory VSR AFPย engine code? The throttle body would need work as it's on the opposite side

I'm in two minds whether to sell mine, I've had it 6+ years and its still on the shelf.

My plan was to build a spare engine and box to leave the original intact, so I've amassed the Schrick, a spare ABV, Wiseco 3L pistons, a VR6 box and a spare Golf MK3 16V box for the diff.

17" BBS RS, not even been off the shelf since I bought them nearly 10 years ago

I've driven 1K miles to collect this stuff - it's a disease lol

i think theย effect of the schrick was the most significant in real terms driving.ย  My 2 steps were firstly 264 cams, which definitely livened the car up, followed by OBD2 andย schrick. I suppose i couldn't gauge theย individual effect of OBD2 and a schrick but it means that you dont have to boot it every time you want to pick up quickly, plus there still seems to be a fair amount of pull at higher revs.ย 

If Dox is selling his, i would buy it!ย  Unless of course you want to just supercharge yours with a Rotrex..but that's a whole new projectย 

If you have the Schrick sat on a shelf I would say fit it. All easily reversed anyway. But wow what a transformation on driveability straight away.ย  It turned it into an easier driving car and I havent had mine mapped yet.

Or sell it and have theย money in your pocket ๐Ÿ’ฐ๐Ÿ’ฐ๐Ÿ’ฐ

The car has been off the road for 6 years, so priority should be recommissioning.

ย 

Iโ€™ll probably sell it next year, old age / arthritis means low cars with big doors make life awkward on car parks etc

i sold my tt last year for this very reason.

I bought a caddy maxi yesterday, so vehicle total back up to 4

interesting comment about the tt - one itch i've wanted to scratch.ย  Which one did you have Dox and what was your general feedback?ย  They seem to well priced atm, and in my budget - sadly not many cars that i like are affordable..

On 3/5/2023 at 10:38 AM, fla said:

interesting comment about the tt - one itch i've wanted to scratch.ย  Which one did you have Dox and what was your general feedback?ย  They seem to well priced atm, and in my budget - sadly not many cars that i like are affordable..

Weโ€™ve hadย a 2007 Mk2 TT, 3.2 manual since 2010. Done about 70K miles in it since we bought it althoughย itโ€™s still under 100K. We bought it as we were looking atย 996s but at the time it was our only car and the TT was a โ€œpracticalโ€ option.

Itโ€™s a nice car to drive, a lot like a newer Corrado might have been maybe?ย We havenโ€™t done much to change it other than a set of Eibachs to replace the usual broken oem springs. Sticks to the road well even though my wife somehow managed to spin it 180 on a wet roundabout one time! It has all the bits youโ€™d bolt on a Corrado to upgrade it though, 320mm brakes, 19โ€ wheels (maybe struggle with those!), 24V motor with quattro drive train, lightweight aluminium body panels.

Bad stuff, itโ€™s not cheap to run, 600+ road tax, 32mpg driven Miss Daisy, 24/25mpg averageย and really thirsty if you get your foot in, but we didnโ€™t buy it for fuel economy did we. It has six times the number of coil packs as a Corrado, four times the number of lambda probesโ€ฆ.and itโ€™s had some of each whilst weโ€™ve owned it. And I managed to kill the clutch by 75K miles, it doesnโ€™t take too kindly to launching with all that traction. Maybe a DSG is a better option, donโ€™t know, my wife refuses to drive an automatic and Iโ€™m not sure I trust them.

On 3/5/2023 at 10:38 AM, fla said:

Mk1 BAM 1.8t, very reliable tbh.

fromt wings, sill covers and rear axle components rust like a well used skip.ย 
ย 

id like another, but old bones nag me not to buy anotherย 

How do the rear seats fair compared to the Corrado for kids? I've always liked the mk1 TT. I'm 5ft10 so not going to have the front seat reclined that far. Could you do say a school run with 2 kids (one in the front and one behind?). Struggling to find a corrado replacement with 4 seats, 6 cyl engine, manual, coupe-esque. 996 of course, another corrado or ..ย ย 

Rear seats little better than a parcel shelf, I used to travelย with 4 adults in my corrado, no chance in a tt

According to the manual for the Mk2 the max height for passengers in the back is 1.5m, about 5 foot. Depends how tall the kids are, Iโ€™ve travelled in the back and Iโ€™m 5โ€™10โ€, wouldnโ€™t want to go much further than a ride from a night out, itโ€™s definitely only a 2+2.

Problem with kids is that they often grow!

Some great points, and look forward to more comments. I'll start another thread as opposed to derailing this one too much.ย