Stone0311

G60 Timing Check

Hi All,

In the process of setting the timing on my G60 and wouldn't mind a 3rd (or more) pair of eyes to check my understanding of the sticky and Bentley.

Unfortunately most of the image links in the sticky are broken so can't use those for reference

Took a few goes but seems right from what I can tell, one thing I'm not sure on is the dizzy orientation?

White mark on the flywheel is where the 'O' mark is for reference. Photos are after setting tension and 2/3 revolutions

4fffd7acf546af206da25c4878078c40.jpg64bb17ace9d19bef3df109a4deac41cc.jpg212897104ab4577142a9025243d1895e.jpg6c48f8739800243bb4a1052830fe905a.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

its been a while from i done mine - i will have a look but it may be tomorrow at the earliest

From what i remember at tdc the distributor arm should point at spark plug 1?

At least your not feeling any resistance  rotating by hand

The engine has to be run up to temperature before any timing adjustments via the distributor

It doesn't look too bad, the engine turns over OK with a spanner on the crank ie no interference between valves and pistons?

Has it been a full strip with dizzy removed or just head off?

Thanks@Dox, @ger040
Yeah turns over by hand without any notable interference.
Everything has been out and dismantled, head and block were removed/separated but not broken down as this had been done by the previous owner

Sent using Tapatalk

Looks good. I have just taken a 1.8 8v mk2 gti engine out and messed about with all of its timing marks before dismantling to make sure it was correct. Yours will be fine 

Thanks@Cressa
Soon be looking to turn over/start for the first time, not expecting miracles but has anyone any advice? Anything to look for specifically?
Not done such an extensive resto before - nearly everything in the car has never run together, from the same source or original to the vehicle
Thx

Sent using Tapatalk

If you can turn it over a few times manually and it all still lines up, then you've cracked it. Although a Corrado is never that simple

Yup there's always something lol.

Plan is to send it to JMR for a proper setup, just want to get to idle as a starting point before it goes

Sent using Tapatalk

Sorry for the delay on this but attached is a picture of the distributor position with the crank pulley at tIMG_2173.JPGIMG_2172.JPGdc

IMG_2173.JPG

Thanks @ger040, yours is where I thought it should be - with mine set as is, the elec connector is hard against the block.

I used the Bentley instructions where it says to align the oil pump pinion parallel with the crank, I kept it there and aligned the dizzy to suit - is this correct?

Or do you start from parallel and adjust the pinion position to make sure the dizzy points to 1?67f2d6425a00c1bd1b239dd4064032a5.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

sorry please forgive me as it has been a long time since i set mine up

Before i removed mine i marked the distributor body to the block with tipex

From what i remember i set up the crank and camshaft to timing marks but the oil pump drive which is hidden behind the cambelt cover i had to remove the cover slacken the timing belt and move it several teeth until the rotor arm pointed at plug 1

It started and ran ok but it did require minor adjustments carried out by a VAG tech

Hopefully someone else on here can confirm / correct this

Setting the PG timing can be stressful and bloody hot work. Firstly you need to know the dizzy is free, all too often they are seized solid. The timing is set at 2200 rpm with the blue temp sender disconnected and after revving the engine three times over 3k. In this sort of heat the backwash from the rad can be appalling and having your head down there trying to view the flywheel marking is really unpleasant. I remember many decades ago going to set the timing on a Golf G60, I was tearing around as I was going to Germany the next day (Golf 5 launch) and the tech was being a whimp so I went in, unplugged the temp sender and before I knew it the sender hit me between the eyes, spaying my face with boiling coolant and putting me in A&E with burns. I found the cars owner had incorrectly secured the temp sender clip leaving a ticking bomb. I went to Germany with a red peeling face and a square dent between my eyes the shape of the sender top.

2 hours ago, Crasher said:

Setting the PG timing can be stressful and bloody hot work. Firstly you need to know the dizzy is free, all too often they are seized solid. The timing is set at 2200 rpm with the blue temp sender disconnected and after revving the engine three times over 3k. In this sort of heat the backwash from the rad can be appalling and having your head down there trying to view the flywheel marking is really unpleasant. I remember many decades ago going to set the timing on a Golf G60, I was tearing around as I was going to Germany the next day (Golf 5 launch) and the tech was being a whimp so I went in, unplugged the temp sender and before I knew it the sender hit me between the eyes, spaying my face with boiling coolant and putting me in A&E with burns. I found the cars owner had incorrectly secured the temp sender clip leaving a ticking bomb. I went to Germany with a red peeling face and a square dent between my eyes the shape of the sender top.

Thanks Cressa 

Having read your post i can recall the tech that set my timing cursing like hell as the engine has to be up to temperature he was having to adjust the dizzy