fla

Audi tt, mk1, mk2 reviews and experience

Carried over from the Schrick thread! 

Interested in getting a tt, as they're very accessibly priced at the moment. Ideally the 1.8t as i have the corrado for engine noise. Plus it may just be used for short trips occasionally. Ulez is a factor here, which means the corrado can't really go into london

What has been your experience? Likes, dislikes, gotchas, comparison to a corrado in everyday use. 

Your best bet is to try one.

I'd be looking for an enthusiast owned car, fully rebuilt rear suspension with rust preventative measures (rear arms snap due to rot and the ball joints partial seizure - looks alarming but usually you can pull up to a stop and call recovery)..

Sills are bolt on, but rust can get hold between the sills and body due to road grime sanding away paint - you'll be very luck to find rust free covers. 2 years ago cover were £200 per side + VAT, paint and fitting (front bumper and wings off, so labour intensive).

Like all VAG cars front wings are a service item due to the water soaked sponge at 12 o'clock on the arch - if you see rust they're holed as they rust inside out.

Boost leaks, the DV is often the culprit, new OE is now recommended rather than blingy alloy boy racer item unless big power.

Con rods only good for upto 300 BHP / 300 F/lbs on 1.8ts being the max safe limit.

Test the haled with a launch, wheel spins will prove it's not functioning as it should, there's an earth strap between diff and body that rots, cheap fix, other faults are not.

Good news is they don't drive like the MK4 Golf they're based on (many Golf owners upgrade to the TT knuckles for improved geometry and better clearance of ARB and driveshafts).

People who modded them highly are finding their investment doesn't pan out when it comes to resale and some of the best cars get broken (sound familiar?).

thanks Dox - wow that looks serious but as you advise apparently its not too bad.  Saw one on Autotrader with rotten rear suspension but otherwise looked ok.  How much would it cost to rebuild the back end up again?

So the rear is too cramped to access or use properly?  I was looking at a substitute for my yaris t sport, which is a 3 door but you can sit two adults quite comfortably in the back.  Even the corrado is quite good at the back, ive actually had 5 people in it once! but 4 are quite comfortable  

I use the Vehicle Smart app to view MOT history etc.

My car never had rear seat passengers, seats were always folded down TBH - it's surprising what will fit inside the rear.

My Mrs is 5'2" and struggled in the rear on my brothers MK2 V6 (never tried the MK1, didn't need too) - if someone climbs in the back with the boot open you need to be careful when closing it.

It was very rare I was ever 2 up as my car was mainly used for commuting.

Being VAG and 20+ years old many parts are being discontinued.

My 1.8t used 3/4 litre of oil per 1000 miles - exhaust was clean, 20 valve seals most likely the culprit here.

The previous owner of mine was  very vocal about me using revs prior to the engine being up to temp (doesn't take long in these cars) and is probably why mine was so reliable for 4 years

Edited by Dox

fc8280109df049e1021594b67277a4e7.jpg

7234ec8e2b5d94e89d03c1ce96f64ae2.jpg
8d7cf6ef0f08b75f3ff428dafe1e0a64.jpg

Failed almost every mot from its first, I know if I’d started renewing rear arms etc I’d end up doing a full rebuild.

There’s a few groups on fb, I’d recommend looking there, if you click in the posters name you can see their history in that group.

I’d research paint colours and try and find a rare one, Merlin purple is similar to blackberry.

I’ve never bought a good car off eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

some serious mot history for a car that on the face of it looks pretty good.  What would a full rear suspension refurb cost, approx?

I think ebay cars look better than they are in reality. Enthusiast owned are the best bet

Edited by fla

Well over £1k, every bolt would need replacing. Mine looked grotty, but never got advisories 

the guy never mentioned the December 2022 fail in the listing?

Nope nothing, in fact he said it was in good condition having recently been serviced! Says a lot about who/how it was serviced..

Perhaps dodged a bullet there

5 hours ago, fla said:

Nope nothing, in fact he said it was in good condition having recently been serviced! Says a lot about who/how it was serviced..

Perhaps dodged a bullet there

He does say no MOT but drives

1.8 BAM 225bhp 
Great looking original car with full service history and recently serviced 
Very good overall condition and has been much loved, has the normal chips, scratches etc to be expected for car of this age 
NO MOT but drives - see pic for details
Passenger window not working 
See pics for other details/condition 
ULEZ compliant 
Inspection welcome before bidding but no negotiation post purchase
Collection within 7 days of purchase

I bet it’s a rusty mess underneath with seized rear callipers 

963CA0EB-67D5-46B8-8148-9B962FE043EC.thumb.png.6d4d055cc13ea96a5bfa1c9abb49315c.png

Ah yes you're right shaun, my mistake.

I'm sure there are plenty more examples out there, strangely I'm also a bit interested in the mk2 for some reason now. Not too sure on the eyeliner headlights but otherwise doesn't seem to be a bad package for the money

25 minutes ago, fla said:

I'm sure there are plenty more examples out there, strangely I'm also a bit interested in the mk2 for some reason now. Not too sure on the eyeliner headlights but otherwise doesn't seem to be a bad package for the money

My brother loves his TT MK2 V6 manual, 10+ years now, but he lives less than a mile from work - he's 70 this year.

The guy states no MOT, not failed MOT, he's probably had a good look and scared himself and allowed more issues being stood all winter.

MK1 or MK2, I think avoiding eBay auctions and viewing prior to "winning" is the way to go?

2 hours ago, fla said:

No fairy lights on the early Mk2s, ours is a 56 plate early 2007 and has standard DRL lights with adaptive HID. I did manage to put a pheasant through one coming into the village at speed one evening, Audi wanted £850 for a new headlamp 😮

Edited by tonedef

34 minutes ago, tonedef said:

No fairy lights on the early Mk2s, ours is a 56 plate early 2007 and has standard DRL lights with adaptive HID. I did manage to put a pheasant through one coming into the village at speed one evening, Audi wanted £850 for a new headlamp 😮

I believe Audi E-tron headlights are £4K each

2023 e-tron GT headlight, £5132.40... mind that is a bargain compared to the £3102952 for the high voltage battery...

On the TT2 cabrio, if the lift pump fails it is fuel tank out which is rear subframe exhaust down.

Edited by Crasher

1 hour ago, Crasher said:

2023 e-tron GT headlight, £5132.40... mind that is a bargain compared to the £3102952 for the high voltage battery...

On the TT2 cabrio, if the lift pump fails it is fuel tank out which is rear subframe exhaust down.

Oh dear. Best to stick with simpler older cars then! I was in Bmw i4 yesterday, stunning acceleration but based on the above i can imagine it would have nightmare repair costs.

What exactly is the lift pump in the cabrio? And is it the same for the coupe?

22 hours ago, Dox said:

I believe Audi E-tron headlights are £4K each

I’d be a nervous wreck driving around here, kamikaze pheasants are a year round hazard!

22 minutes ago, tonedef said:

kamikaze pheasants

Sure these were on John Peel once 😉.

I’ve had an interest in an early car. Silver, sans spoiler, a la prototype/original sketching. Could be one to watch.

There’s a good video on youtube regarding the rear arm problems and their uprated parts.

39 minutes ago, James. said:

I’ve had an interest in an early car. Silver, sans spoiler, a la prototype/original sketching. Could be one to watch.

There’s a good video on youtube regarding the rear arm problems and their uprated parts.

1 hour ago, tonedef said:

I’d be a nervous wreck driving around here, kamikaze pheasants are a year round hazard!

I've just driven on the M6, lorries shedding huge pieces of frozen snow off their trailers......

5 hours ago, James. said:

Think I saw them at the Leadmill in Sheffield 🤣

On 3/10/2023 at 6:15 PM, fla said:

Oh dear. Best to stick with simpler older cars then! I was in Bmw i4 yesterday, stunning acceleration but based on the above i can imagine it would have nightmare repair costs.

What exactly is the lift pump in the cabrio? And is it the same for the coupe?

It is in the same place but there is an RSJ looking strengthening beam over the top of the sender.