_Matt_

Twilight Violet VR6

No worries!

I changed my FPR today with both my old one from my white corrado (orig part) and a new bosch 4 bar item. Just trying to cure long crank when warm still...

Anyway - before changing when I disconnect the vac line my engine note noticeably changes, a touch higher revs. Trying both bosch and my old one the engine note does not noticeably change when disconnecting the vac line. Perhaps a slight lumpy idle but nothing noticeable.

No idea what that means. Have left the new bosch fpr installed for now. 

Weather is too miserable to test.

On 5/22/2024 at 10:09 PM, _Matt_ said:

No worries!

I changed my FPR today with both my old one from my white corrado (orig part) and a new bosch 4 bar item. Just trying to cure long crank when warm still...

Anyway - before changing when I disconnect the vac line my engine note noticeably changes, a touch higher revs. Trying both bosch and my old one the engine note does not noticeably change when disconnecting the vac line. Perhaps a slight lumpy idle but nothing noticeable.

No idea what that means. Have left the new bosch fpr installed for now. 

Weather is too miserable to test.

Be interesting to see some live data whilst disconnecting / swapping bit out

Put 100 miles on the car over the last week. Today I'm off work and back home and decided to test the old FPR by putting it back in the car, going for a drive and waiting 15 mins to restart it. It cranks and cranks.

Swap back to the bosch 4bar and it the car starts straight away after 15 mins sitting.

The only minor issue with the bosch item is that the diameter for the vac line is smaller than the oem fpr. I'll get some smaller diameter vac line to compensate. Oem fpr in the picture.

20240603_124641.jpg

Sounds like you may have sorted it. I never changed this in solving my issue, but hopefully this will help someone. 👍

Sounds like the residual pressure was not holding, so the pump would have to build up the pressure again during starting.

Perhaps it was a collection of parts being weak causing an issue and this part was the last item standing with an issue. Either way can't harm anything except my wallet having a full fuel system part refresh I suppose. 

Clutch has got better with use too, Vince suggested doing anoter 200 miles and using the gears to engine brake to bed the clutch in. Not "right" yet but i think it will get there. I'm going back to have the subframe swapped over and some engine mounts in autumn. If i can get some uprated ARBs I will go for those too.

Any thoughts on engine mounts? Understand the rear engine one is obsolete. Is vibratechnics worth it all round? I had the front one last time and no issues with vibration. Assume powerflex would be ok for the steering rack bush? Any other bushes i should look at on the steering column? 

Regarding the engine mounts, I bought standard Febi ones for the rears and a vibratechnics for the front one.

I think I heard that vibra ones all round on a road car are not so good.

Thanks Chris. Good you got hold of a rear engine mount, I was looking last year for someone else and none available. I'll look again.

If I went VT I think I'd go front for sure, perhaps rear engine and mk2 golf diesel gearbox mount by the looks of things on this forum. Though if I could get a rear engine oem style mount I'd probably do that instead to save some pennies.