Sign in to follow this  
Flo

Do you drive with your front fogs on?

No it really gets on my tits when people do - I call it 'highly localised fog'

The basic fact is that it is illegal and if you need them on them maybe you need to clean your windscreen and lights!! :wink:

Rant over.

Yan

Amen brother

['H3R4POR]The VR in the "for sale" section for ireland has weird fogs I noticed' date=' or has it just had the lenses removed?[/quote']

They're cheapo Halfords ones IIRC 'cos the seller didn't want to keep paying for VW ones which kept cracking... ;) 8)

You see!... I told you it wasn't illegal to drive with your fogs on in Ireland. :mrgreen:

:?: If the fogs didn't blind people, didn't crack & were totally legal... we'll call them 'Driving lamps' then, who would drive around with them on?

theres alot of if's there mate.

but the wide boys work on reverse psychology, as soon as everyone else used them they would decide it wasn't cool, and then wouldn't use them.

like parents do with their children

bit late in the day....but my opinion is they are called Fog-lights.........so really only should be used in fog or conditions of poor visibilty like falling snow(read the highway code ppl)..........also its a fact that they are illegal to use during the day in bright sunlight too :wink:

i think the main problem too is that a lot of magazines show the foglights on when the cars are photographed to.....as it makes them look soooo cool :roll:

I dont think the corrado fogs dazzle anyone as they are pretty piss poor ( maybe something to do with the yellow'ish tinge to them?) just like the standard headlights LOL There are a few cars that have really bright fogs and I agree they do dazzle you and could cause an accident but i dont think the corrado falls into that category!!! rear fogs are the ones that reall piss me off when it's not foggy and to make things worse people put them on in the rain so you get the bloody reflection off the road as well as the main bulb!! Also some of the cars nowadays with the HID headlights cause alot of problems, how many times have you been driving in the wet at night,come round a bend and been faced with a car with HID's that are so bright you cant see fcuk all for a couple of seconds NOW thats dangerous!!!

OK, Ive had enough sitting on the fence it time to be heard, make room and listen up... :x

a. they are called fog lights for a reason [i.e. to be used in foggy situations or poor visiblilty] :?

b. fog lights being left on are normally an attribute of the boy racer who is compensating for something [i.e. he/she cant afford to buy/insure a Corrado] :oops:

c.

In the Rep of Ireland you are allowed to use your 'Fog' / 'Driving' lights all any time.

the boys in blue dont like fog lights and they will stop you for a chat [in my opinion the less talking they do to me the happier I am] :|

d. I dont have to put my fog lights on to look cool, I already drive a C and to me that good enough 8)

and finally

e. no one on here should refer to fellow forum members as w@nke*s, are we not all on the one side... :roll:

[oh my God, what a burst of maturity and commen sense, sorry lads I assure you it wont happen again...] :oops:

Irear fogs are the ones that reall p*** me off when it's not foggy and to make things worse people put them on in the rain so you get the bloody reflection off the road as well as the main bulb!!

see Highway Code rules 94, 201, 211

It is acceptable to use foglights, front and [/i]rear in conditions of poor visiblity so long as they are switched off once the visibility improves. This does not necessarily mean exclusively for foggy conditions. If in heavy rain and extensive spray you are being dazzled by rear fogs then I suggest you are driving too close to the driver in front which is a far more dangerous and common failing today.

The whole issue is down to common sense.

As for the people who use them in clear conditions, I think we can safely assume the majority are young males whose behaviour can be justifiably ascribed to the young homosapien urge to display and preen themselves in the presence of others. It is a characteristic that maturity seems to diminish. Conversely, people who get annoyed by their use in clear daylight do so not because they are a hazard to themselves(highly unlikely in daylight, and due to other reasons as mentioned earlier), but because they are responding to the aforementioned masculine display of a fellow male with instinctive disdain. Most probably feel they wish they could use their fogs without conscience but feel annoyed that others seem to be able to use them with indifference. Again this comes down to the differing levels of maturity amongst the male automobile driving community.

I therefore conclude:

1. Use fogs as per the Highway Code

2. Improper use can be explained by the variance in the masculine homo-sapien behavioral dynamic and is a variable dependent on age and general maturity.

3. Improper use results in inappropriately, excessive responses from drivers who do not employ their use except when needed, perhaps because although their psyche has caused them to pass this 'mental stage of development' their harbour a desire to use them without any psychological impunity.

Just a passing thought......

i think the main problem too is that a lot of magazines show the foglights on when the cars are photographed to.....as it makes them look soooo cool :roll:

Yeah, I completely agree, every shoot in mags seems to have the fogs on. Lets blame then them, for [cartman] warping our fragile little minds [/cartman]

Its besides the point that Corrado lights aren't as bright as others, I have NEVER been dazzled by a C with his fogs on, purely for the fact that people who drive the cars seem to have more sense.

Its the principle of the thing, I don't really think that the people who have them on 24/7 think to themselves before they get into the car "will my fogs be bright enough to dazzle people, if so, I better not turn them on".

rear fogs are the ones that reall p*** me off when it's not foggy and to make things worse people put them on in the rain so you get the bloody reflection off the road as well as the main bulb!!

Couldn't agree more about the rear ones, these are worse, especially in rainy conditions, when they obscure your vision of the car infronts brake lights.

Dave

ps, I didn't call call anyone anything :roll:

I used to use them because a. the corrado headlights are really poor

b. they look good (IMHO)

And I agree with Ant- they're not particularly bright at all, so they're not going to blind anyone! :roll:

The fogs on my old 306 were so much brighter, so you absolutely couldn't use them. The C is different. I've driven past the police with them on loads of times and never been stopped.

Howerver, I don't really use them any more because over use does tend to make them crack, and also you get the feeling everyone looks at you and thinks 'What a w......' I've had a couple of people gesticulating at me in a very unpleasant way- talk about an over reaction! :roll:

My 2p.

I've had a couple of people gesticulating at me in a very unpleasant way

It was probably me :lol:

a. the corrado headlights are really poor

Get Gavs Headlight loom, its excellent, and allows you to drive at night, only cost around 50 notes too. I really would recommend everyone get this done, as, along with the wiper mod they definately help safety, and increase the pleasure of driving the car (nothing more stressful than trying to drive blind).

b. they look good (IMHO)

at least your honest ;)

If in heavy rain and extensive spray you are being dazzled by rear fogs then I suggest you are driving too close to the driver in front which is a far more dangerous and common failing today.
At the risk of over-extending the controversy I must take issue with this comment sir! Driving behind someone who has their rear-fogs on in heavy rain and spray can be blinding and dangerous - regardless of how close your are to that vehicle. The combined effects of light magnification and refraction brought about by the water on one's screen and the spray from and standing water on the road can make gauging distances, the distinction between foglights and brakelights, and looking where one should both difficult to maintain and extremely fatiguing. As I say, this is unaffected by one's proximity to the vehicle one is following. I therefore refute your suggestion.

This is not to say that I take issue with the general tenet of your argument and nor that I disagree that 'tail-gating' is a highly troublesome and similarly dangerous phenomenon in modern driving...

/me tries to get the dictionary that LicklePaulie has swallowed out of his mouth :-P

Chubbz said

as for fogs....in Scotland its an offense,just like rear fogs.

100m visability ?cant afford a cracked foggy anyway and I only have one spare.

Professional driver talking sense, there.

When I worked in the Met Office in Glasgow, I remember a couple of phone calls from whining posers who were being charged by the police for driving with fog lights on when not required. Owners of flash, high-performance cars (one a top Merc) who do not bother to familiarise themselves with the law, deserve the grief.

Visibilities of less than 100 metres in fog are relatively rare in Scotland - they are, almost certainly, more of a hazard in patchy fog in the more extensive flat and low lying districts of England, e.g. Vale of York.

IMO heavy and blowing snow at sub-zero temperatures and torrential rain causing HGV spray will merit the use of foglights more often in Scotland - but remember, the police will delight in booking you up here if they catch you with them switched on needlessly.

PS I believe the front fogs on the C "burn too hot" (another VW design shortcoming) so you may risk needing to fork out for an expensive replacement just for feeling the need to look cool!

['H3R4POR]/me tries to get the dictionary that LicklePaulie has swallowed out of his mouth :-P
:norty: :norty: I was merely attempting to respond at the same level in which the original post was placed - and displaying the ability to avoid the denegration of fellow forum users though I may disagree with their actions (see earlier posts in the thread) :norty: :wink:

dazzyvr6,

have you got seperate switches for F/R fogs then?

i take it thats a facelift difference? 8)

yup, only the face lift interior has 2 switches... Early interiors (as benji16v says) have one switch where click one = front only, click 2 = fronts and rears...

Funny how this thread comes up and now I suddenly notice people with the fogs on!! I never used to notice before, damn you lot :lol:

This guy in an MR2 got up my arse with his fogs on tonight.....so I put my rear ones (both wired up) on :lol:

He then turned his off, LOL!

K