Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Why are 2nd hand Octavia vRS's so cheap!

I've come to the conclusion that i'd really like one of these to be my next car.

Just found a 2 year old one with 60,000 miles on it (motorway muncher I guess) with full history and good spec for £8000!!

They are really really nice cars to look at and pack the 1.8T engine! These have to be one of the best deals in the 2nd hand car market right now??

it's still got the stigma of the Skoda badge associated with it, even though these days, they bear as much resemblance to an old Skoda as does a Ferrari! :roll:

They're excellent motors, I've been hanging my nose over a Fabia 1.9 TDI 130 for a while now as some of those go for silly cheapness! 8)

I know a few people who'd look down their noses at them still but I agree - there is nothing to laugh at with the new Skodas. The Fabia vRS and Octavia vRS are great looking cars, equally as sporting looking as the equivilant Audi or VW!

Definately would like to consider one as the successor to my Corrado :)

agreed, the stigma is still forcing down the price of Skodas, even though, as you say, the wheels no longer fall off, and the engines are sound.

This always crops up on Top Gear from time to time.

You can bag a bargain because of this fact :)

I can guarantee if enough young people drove around in Octavia RS's with huge "Bling" wheels, all the other lemmings that can't think for themselves will think it's the latest trend and rush out and buy one :roll:

Half the people that do slag Skodas off are too young to remember the really dire 130 Rapids and Super Estelles etc...

They just slate them because the Sun Newspaper is always taking the piss out of them and they've never actually driven or seen one.

Sorry, just having a Linus moment....."...loves mankind, but hates people..."

Was just reading comments on http://www.carsurvey.org and I didn't see a single negative comment about the Octavia (especially the vRS) or the dealership or anything!

Hmmmm..... :)

Half the people that do slag Skodas off are too young to remember the really dire 130 Rapids and Super Estelles etc...

hehe, my mate next door had one of each, the Rapide was even brown :shock:

oh how we laughed. especially when the stories about the wheels falling off kept appearing in the paper.

He also had 5-6 Hillman Imps, I loved going round his house :lol:

The demo on Top Gear where they drove an Imp across a field on full lock, and it went in a perfect straight line :D

My school teacher used to have an Orange 130 rapid, oh the hilarity:-

Side opening bonnet

Lawn mower engine in the back with 'push on' fuel hoses!!

Ghastly interior

A beetle-cum-chainsaw exhaust note

They were just horrendous things and deserved the bad name...... not any more though.

People used to scoff at Japanese cars too. In the 60s and 70s, they used to rust on the boats on the way over and fell apart the moment you drove it off the ship :lol:

But look at them now! My mate can't go anywhere in his Subaru without gangs of Chavs sucking eachother's dicks as he drive's past...... it really is a Chav's hero car.... sad muppets.

gangs of Chavs sucking eachother's dicks as he drive's past

thought they had 13 year old single mums to do that?

funnily enough Autocar magazine(in fact it was a Front cover headline in 88) reckoned the old Skoda Rapide handled like a 911 :shock: :shock: :shock: well they both have engines in their arses :wink:

In some vain attempt to get this thread back on topic.....

HOW CHEAP???

For a damn-cheap runaround, 1.6, already LPG'd!!!

Christ, I'd buy that for a very-cheap-to-run second car!

£1000!!

I know what you mean about cheap runarounds mate.. I had about £800 saved up this month when I saw that car of stevemac's (well, his missus's) - 1.9TDI Seat for £750! And condsidering it just came round to tax renewal time I was considering SORN'ing the Corrado and sticking it in the garage.

Really tempted by a cheapo oil burner for the winter!

the vrs are quite nice looking cars,id have one and debadge it

Its funny.. i'd wear the Skoda badge with pride, and then laugh at all the fcukwits who tried to race you only to be left in your dust - someone on the Saxo forum posted something to that effect the other day - thought he'd burn off 'an old woman in a Skoda' and she left him like he was standing still.... LOL! :)

damn it, I'm soooo tempted by that Andi.... may have to come down and crash on your floor for a night while I have a look at that motor if he's still got it next weekend.... ;) 8)

thanks to carrot and other comidy muppets the skoda will always have that stigma, but they are VAG after all, even if some off them do look like they have old VW switch gear ETC. Mind you VWs have older Audi gear.

Alas it was only a regular Cooper.. I couldn't work out why Top Gear put a turbo car vs a naturally aspirated car until now - when I found out that the Fabia vRS costs about the same as a basic spec Mini Cooper.

It wasn't really any surprise that the Fabia kicked its ass to be honest. The Cooper clearly handled much better but the Fabia had so much more power than the mini's 1.6 NA engine it was funny! :)

damn it, I'm soooo tempted by that Andi.... may have to come down and crash on your floor for a night while I have a look at that motor if he's still got it next weekend.... ;) 8)

You'd be welcome to m8 if you wanted it that bad!

(Bring a moonroof too though ;))