Sign in to follow this  
samm_cvr6

HOW TO FIX A METALLIC RATTLY NOISE?

There is a metallic rattly noise that appears to be coming from the drivers side of the engine. It is only an intermittent noise but was hoping some of you may have experienced this before and know how to sort it? :?

Also, the exhaust is a bit smokey, not majorly but just a little too much for my liking, I think it may be the valve seals but perhaps some of you people know better?

Cheers, Sam. :wink:

I don't have any answers for you, but it will help to diagnose your problem if you can say what engine you've got...

When does it rattle? Full throttle? Part throttle? 2762 revs only? right through the rev range? at idle?

and what colour smoke..?

I don't have any answers for you, but it will help to diagnose your problem if you can say what engine you've got...

I am guessing that user "samm_cvr6" has a Corrado VR6 ... :)

It seems to make a rattle regardless of what the revs are at and also does it whilst in neutral, it is a fairly quiet noise, you certainly can't hear it if you are listening to music.

No the smoke just looks like normal smoke, not blue or black, yea it's a 93 VR6 :o .

THANKS. :)

I am guessing that user "samm_cvr6" has a Corrado VR6 ... :)

:roll: oh yeah. I can read. No really.

I had a simiular problem on my VR, it was a faint rattle, it sounded like it was coming form the engine somewhere but after a further look it was actually the sheild on the cat that was partially off.....

I have the same prob but i dont have the vag cat with the heat sheild. I did think it could have been the water pump cos from inside the car it sounded almost like cavitation but when i stuck my head under the bonnet it sounded more metalic.

After closer inspection I think it may be the heat shield on the top of the exhaust manifold as suggested although I will have to ask a mechanic to be 100%.

I changed the oil and filter yesterday with synta silver at the VW dealers- £24.50 for both, not bad!? :)

I also used engine flush and engine oil treatment before and after and I may be kidding myself but the car does feel healthier now.

I have been told that the synta silver is the best for the Corrado VR6 as the oil is thicker, does anyone use the gold synta oil? and is it any better?

:wink:

I have been told that the synta silver is the best for the Corrado VR6 as the oil is thicker, does anyone use the gold synta oil? and is it any better?

:wink:

i use Synta-gold in mine............purely because its always been fed that and don't really want to change its diet :D ..........don't seem to have any problems with it....(touch wood) and i think it makes it only a tiny wee bit noiser than other VR's that have the semi-synthetic in it :wink: