Sign in to follow this  
kebabman

wallow wallow, VR soft suspension

don't understand, mines got oversteer and doesn't need that much provoking. I do have a rear stud axle which is sitting at an unstandard angle which can't be adjusted though.

Why don't you get a new stub axle fitted then :? , I bent my stub axle my spinning in the wet and cracking a kerb with the rear wheel (obviously going backwards at the time 8) ), it made the car handle terribly (obviously). I'm no expert but surely that will mean that your rear tyre is never at the correct angle to the road.

Surely thats why your back end is skippin all over the shop :shock:

Mike

I thought I would have to change the whole beam, and I've already reached near reposession getting the lump fixed. Any idea how much it cost you to get the stud axle, and how are they changed?

When I get the money I'll sort it and the rear bushes. I'm abit worried about loosing the back-end sliding though if I get it fixed, went from Golfs to Corrado to keep that trait.

Mine felt like a stogy turd to drive until I got the rear axle bushes changed, it feels infinitely more planted now.

It might not have been entirely down to the bushes though, I also had new shocks, springs and err axle too :D

I thought I would have to change the whole beam, and I've already reached near reposession getting the lump fixed. Any idea how much it cost you to get the stud axle, and how are they changed?

When I get the money I'll sort it and the rear bushes. I'm abit worried about loosing the back-end sliding though if I get it fixed, went from Golfs to Corrado to keep that trait.

Stub Axle Rear Left (All Models) Febi 18350 £69.53

Stub Axle Rear Right (All Models) Febi 18352 £69.53

from http://www.vwspares.co.uk/corrado_clutch.html

might find them cheaper elsewhere

Its almost 100% likely to be a bent stub axle. It is technically possible to distorte the whole rear beam but the stub axle should give out first. Mine was visibly bent- I think its a piece of cake to fit- your only problem is that the wheel won't come off cleanly due to the distortion in the axle- but a bit of bashing should get it off. Your car will feel soooo different :)

Aren't you getting uneven tyre wear on the affected side as well? i

Mike

You don't get lift-off oversteer because the Corrado isn't tail happy like a dropped pug 1.9!

The pug rear setup is still not a true independant system as both wheels share the same sprung bar. Ford Focus, Civic, FTO, MK5 Golf..... they all have independant rear suspension as each wheel has it's own spring, damper and wishbone. The Corrado is kind of strange in using springs, dampers AND a torsion beam.... but it seems to work!

No need to apologise for the Qs....ask away, we're here to help :wink:

Sorry Kev: Correction:

FTO in fact has rear multi link suspension... ;)

Sorry Kev: Correction:

FTO in fact has rear multi link suspension... ;)

Still independant...... so I missed out the finer details of the FTO's orthoganol links, but I didn't want to get into it in that detail :wink:

Cheers coolrado for the part numbers. Will look into that.

I haven't noticed any uneven wear, and the wheels come off ok. Its just when I took it for laser assignment they said one of the axles was bent, will have to dig the receipt out to remember which one. :roll:

I've had 2 mk2 gti's and 1 mk1, and all have been neutral to slighty back happy if provoked. Thought that was standard handling from the earlier golfs.