Sign in to follow this  
Dancing Fish

Doors dont shut unless slam

Hi Peeps,

My door catch/lock type mechanisms seem a bit stiff and you have to shut the doors pretty hard for them to shut properly. I thought i might take them apart and clean the crap out of them, re-oil them and hopefully they will be better.

Is this a bad idea - i.e., am i opening up a bag of worms or will this not work anyway?

Help appreciated.

DF.

Might be worth adjusting the striker pin on the door frame first. You just need a spanner to loosen it, then it'll move around a bit. Have a play, it should improve the slam/opening.

Just one thing to watch when adjusting the striker pin................when you get it aligned correctly it has a tendancy to move out of position when you tighten it.

Sounds like the striker pins were pulled in to remove an unsightly panel gap at the bottom of the doors. Doing this closes the gap but it also means the door seal has to compress more in order for the door to latch, hence the slamming.

Just tweak the striker pin (15mm spanner) until you're happy with the closing force and panel gaps.

Sort of. The bolt hole is larger than the bolt itself and a captive nut lives behind the B pillar, giving plenty of scope for adjustment. As Dave said, watch for the pin moving out of it's chosen position as you nip it up.

Temp solution found. Basically, i tried undoing the striker pins but they were well solid.

So, i noticed one of them had a plastic covering which essentially made the pin wider, thus pushing further into the mechanism without moving the pin. I recreated this on the other side using, wait for it.........a modified plastic biro lid!

Works brilliantly!

Ta

DF.

Good man! I always wondered how the feck they got the plastic sleeve on those pins! Your solution sounds tops. Keep it greased though or the latch will eat through the plastic relatively quickly.

I used gaffa tape to do the same thing :oops: - worked perfectly and even quietened the doors down when shutting - sounds nice. :lol:

double wall heat shrink works VERY well on the striker pins... ;) 8)