Sign in to follow this  
jedi-knight83

Cheapest place to buy the H&R springs (vr6 ones)

Hi,

ok i hold my hands up... the springs that come with the Koni SSK kit are POO!!! they were ok to start but now they have truely got on my tits

So im swapping to H&R..i know they are about £150 though...

So if you have found any bargins let me know....

website links or phone numbers would be usefull!

thanks

There goes any chance of selling the SSK springs on here then :lol: Stick em in the bin mate, best place for them.

You'll struggle to get the H&Rs for significantly less than £150 unless second hand. I reckon £130 is the best you'll do....

good hunting!

K

i remember some went on ebay a while back for about £80....should have bought those :roll:

i'll probably put the SSK ones on ebay starting at £1 and just see what they fetch...they do lower 40 mm after all and someone may like the harder feel?

Are eibach springs any good, just found out that they are currently paired with my koni T/A shocks. Are they a good combination/better than koni springs? I guess H&R are the best to get are they?

Would have thought Koni and Eiback would go best together as thats what they use on performance upgrades for BMW, Aston Martin etc. Apparently for road use it is better to have a shock and spring combo than coilovers because of wider springs absorbing more impact. Coilovers are for track day uses in the main (so I'm told)

Better than the Koni SSK springs, that's for sure...... but firmer than the H&Rs. I've tried all 3 combos now and I have to say the H&R/Koni feels the most controlled and offers the best compromise between ride and handling.

As with any uprated suspension kit, the rest of the chassis needs to be up-to-scratch in order to reap the full benefits.

No real reason.... just curious. At least you only have to factor in the parts cost then, so £150 is good value imo if it transforms the ride.

jedi-knight83, What's up with the springs? Why dont you like them? I've just recently fitted that kit myself because people on here were saying it was a really good kit for the price and similar to H&R/koni setup.

Now Iim upset especially, with you jedi-knight83. :p

Timo.

Timo., maybe i went a bit over the top with the 'POO' remark

When i first fitted them they flet fine...infact very similar to the H&R's but over time i think they have got harder! I noticed this the other day when riding in kevs car with his 16" wheels..and his still felt much smoother!

There just not for me anymore

I didn't think his was too bad but it was noticably crashier and more skittish. Jedi was pretty impressed by the ride of mine on H&Rs, which I think has spurred his move to H&Rs...

I have a confession. I not upset. Its just my sick sense of humour. No worries mate.

I'm really pleased with them, but I did buy them thinking that I will get some H&R's to go with them a few months down the road.

8)

Timo.

I didn't think his was too bad but it was noticably crashier and more skittish. Jedi was pretty impressed by the ride of mine on H&Rs, which I think has spurred his move to H&Rs...

i take it jedi has had the suspension geometry done tho?.........as mine was pretty skittish when i first had the coil-overs on.............and once i had the suspension geometry done a week later it was perfect..even tho the suspension was only just out of the tolerances prior to getting it sorted

LOL, no worries..... I knew you were messing but thought an explanation was still in order.... :lol:

He obviously lied about SSK springs and it takes a brave man to admit that on a forum :D

vr6storm, yes all that has been done... its just the springs and maybe the suspension bushes... but thats a different story all together :roll:

Timo., no worries...if they feel fine now then great... as kev pointed out.. the kit is so cheap that the springs effectively are only worth £40 (after taking of the cost of buying the 4 koni dampers separately) or so...so its no big loss if you go for H&R's later down the line

jedi-knight83, I've never been happy with my SSK springs but I think you knew that already. Yours were waiting to go on then. I went for the SSK because 'you get what you pay for' :( not so in our case

You all probably know this, but I think they are the same as the Golf.

According to the H&R catalogue there are two part numbers

29872. Listed for the Corrado only

60872. listed for both Corrado & Golf

Convenientley they list the markings on the springs and they read the same for both part numbers

Front VA 29 872 VA

Rear HA 29 872 HA

All of the above are for the VR6 variants.

So if the above holds true you may find it easier finding these listed for a Golf.

Oh and another thing, why do the Germans seem to have no issue swapping H&R or Koni coilovers between various models, when the manufacturers list them as model specific?

hmm i knew the corrado and the golf shared H&R spring but i didnt know there was one that was just for the corrado??? wonder if there is any difference?

Probably about £50 cos they're for a Corrado :roll:

29872. Listed for the Corrado only

60872. listed for both Corrado & Golf

:? :? :?

confussed now.... check this page from awesome GTI

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/vw%20golfm ... nsion.html

lists the 29872 'corrado only' part for the golf???

good price though

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/catalog/pr ... cts_id=320

edit*...actually its with VAT ..once you add that and shipping its back up to £150 :roll:

well i phoned awesome and they said the 29872 was the part for both corrado and golf and that the price on the online shop (was £120) was wrong and should be £131

they did say i could still have them at £120 but plus VAT and shipping its still £150 so i may aswell keep looking...not that im expecting to find any but you never know..