Sign in to follow this  
fla

VR not starting

I removed the earth cable connected to the bonnet, to resolder, as the wire was almost out of the cable grip. The car has been standing for about 2 weeks and when i tried to start it, it turned over but didnt fire. Even the tacho didnt register that it was turning over. I havent got round to resoldering the earth but in any case would this affect the ignition? I would have thought not.

Be grateful for any tips. Cheers all.

if this is the earth from the wing area which goes up to the bonnet hinge area, then NO, it won't affect your engines running... that strap is only there for earthing the bonnet and ensuring that it doesn't build up any large static charges as you drive along... 8)

If you're on about one from the head to the bulkhead, then YES it can effect running...

I would've said 'yes'!

You would have? And did you in the end?

Now that I've heard from Henny (which is what I was waiting for :lol: ), my final answer is 'no'. Unless he's talking about the earth strap from the widget to the bulkhead. :lol:

Thanks for the info Henny. What should I be looking for - TBH I havent got a clue where to start.

check that the fuel pumps is working,check all fuses and relays check that there is a spark,could be your alarm/immobiliser causing it not to start

as Dazzy says, and it could also be the ignition switch has finally given up...

Check for a spark while you're cranking the engine and listen for the fuel pump, then post back with what you find and we'll go from there... 8)

Cheers dazzyvr6. How do i check whether the immobiliser is (maybe) at fault? Fuel pump is okay because i can hear it humming. Dont think it would be blocked as the car has only done 50k.

if the pump's buzzing, that also rules out the fuel pump relay which is why you listen for it... ;)

I'm wondering if you've lost your cam position sensor.... how's the car been running before you did this?

last time i cranked it over it took about 4 turns before it fired up. However, previous to that it took about 12 turns. Bear in mind its been standing for about 2 weeks, so maybe theres some moisture in the electrics? Cam position sensor - where is it and how do i check it?

thanks

that's one for Kev I'm afraid... I've not worked on a VR6 before, so I can't comment on the location but I recognise the symptoms could be a cam position sensor fault... :)

What age is the VR? If it's pre 95 (AG ECU) then we can outrule the factory immobiliser being the problem.

A weak fuel pump can cause lengthy starts and a dead crank sensor will shut off fuel and ignition full stop. You'll still hear the pump buzz but the ECU won't open the injectors.

The crank sensor bolts to front block face, just before the gearbox bell housing.

Take it out (5mm allen key) and clean any swarf off the magnet, pop it back in, disconnect the battery for 15 mins to reset the ECU and then give it a whirl.

If still nowt, you could be looking at a £140 for a new crank sensor :cry:

Cheers

Kev

i assume you are starting the car with the autobox in Neutral or Park................IIRC most autoboxes have a starting inhibitior to stop them being started in gear..............othewise they would shoot forward :wink:

i assume you are starting the car with the autobox in Neutral or Park................IIRC most autoboxes have a starting inhibitior to stop them being started in gear..............othewise they would shoot forward :wink:

its turning over though..so that rules out the auto box inhibitor

its turning over though..so that rules out the auto box inhibitor

are you sure its turning over :?: .......going by his posts all he's saying is happening is that the fuel pump is priming :wink: ............

look at the first post...he says it turned over but didnt fire :?

Does that help the man at all?

Don't be so miserable and obnoxious, Roddy was only trying to help.

whos being obnoxious??i was just saying the engine is turning over..is that obnoxious i think not...i was staing what the lad with the problem said

Guys,

Blimey, sounds like someones got into the ring with Mike Tyson. Okay, the engine is turning over and seems to be turning over fine (speedwise), but there's no ignition. I'll check if I'm getting a spark tonight, light permitting. There is the fuel pong that accompanies a cold start (that's another story and I've got to go over the fuel pipework soon) so i guess it is being primed okay. Having said that, it has cut out one or two times in the past and refused to start for a while, just as I have pulled in to the drive.

Apart from that I'll follow Kevs line of taking off the crank sensor. BTW Kev, what would cause it to fail in the first place? Its a 94 VR.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions chaps.

cut out while you've been driving? Definately starting to sound like a crank position sensor then.... :|

Or fuel pump.. Did we rule out the fuel supply? Or the fuel pump fuse..?

I'll catch up with this thread one day...

A slight step back - can you check for a spark the normal way by pulling the lead off the plug and checking it against the block or would this fry the electronics? I dont have a spark tester at present.

I'd be tempted to have a look at the blue water temp sender for ECU, mine packed up recently with exactly same symptoms, and it only costs a tenner so no great loss if not needed.

No one with Vag-com in that area?

Seems like it was something to do with the crank position sensor - i removed this and gave it a wipe, although tbh there was only a drop of oil on it, nothing else. Left the battery disconnected as per Kevs note for about 5 mins (not 15 as he said!) Anyway, I also gave some of the connectors to the electronic ignition a bit of a spray with contact cleaner and wayhay the 6 cyls fired up after a single crank of the engine. Maybe a combo of all these but a result finally! I'll get back if the problem arises again. Now to the next problem....auto box whine! (on another thread). Thanks a lot for the tips.