Sign in to follow this  
Henny

Henny's J-DUB G60

I finally got my butt into gear, washed my C and took some nice photos...

J-dub's an aqua blue late '92 G60, running on 16" Borbet C wheels with Supersprint height adjustable coil-overs... She's about 80mm lowered at the moment, but that's getting changed on Friday when she's being cornerwieghted and getting the whole suspension set up properly along with a 1" lift! :lol:

She's had a Jabba Stage 4 conversion and has a JR induction kit along with a custom made (JP exhausts in Macclesfield) stainless exhaust with a small box to replace the cat... Nice noise and slight power increase too!

I found out not long after getting her that the milage has been "tweaked" at some stage and she's not done 110K as now read on the clock, but 200k+ miles :shock: I'm not that fussed though, 'cos she's straight and I've replaced just about everything that goes anyway! :D

*Edited due to photo-location becoming corrupt...*

Sweet mate... those alloys are superb, and the car is very nice. You've got later style bonnet and grille as well - were those standard on the late G60's?

You give the car a 1" lift and it will be absolutely spot on.

Very very nice m8 :)

Sweet mate... those alloys are superb, and the car is very nice. You've got later style bonnet and grille as well - were those standard on the late G60's?

You give the car a 1" lift and it will be absolutely spot on.

Very very nice m8 :)

Cheers for the nice comments! I'm hoping to get the paintwork sorted out over the summer as there are more scratches and stone chips than I can count... Really should learn to slow down! :roll:

AFAIK the late '92's had the later headlights, bonnet, grill, and bumpers but stayed with the older interior... I actually prefer the older style bonnet, I think the "up" style makes the front of the car look slightly fat and almost overweight... I still love it though! :lol:

Looks good for the mileage!

You like the blue repeaters? Got the same on mine (same colour) and I don't like 'em. Too lazy to swap em back at the mo!

Looks good for the mileage!

You like the blue repeaters? Got the same on mine (same colour) and I don't like 'em. Too lazy to swap em back at the mo!

It depends on my mood... Some days I think they look a bit tacky, other days I quite like them... :roll: I didn't fit 'em though, they were there when I got the car...

I think I may swap them for a clear set at the next show I go to and see how they look... of course then I may have to consider some of the clear rear lights as well... :? I always said I wouldn't mess with the exterior too much, but I know she's not having the orange ones back on 'cos my old C (now departed after a meeting with some diesel on a wet corner) had them and I never liked 'em then either!

Henny, It look's a lot better than it did on Saturday at Demon Tweaks. It was covered in brake dust and them old front tires you had on the front where shreddded! Glad to see the wheels I sold you look so spot on.

I prefer the early bonnet with late lights, grill, spots. So that make 3.

Henny, It look's a lot better than it did on Saturday at Demon Tweaks. It was covered in brake dust and them old front tires you had on the front where shreddded! Glad to see the wheels I sold you look so spot on.

Amazing what a good clean can do! 350+miles a week means that she often looks a shed between cleans... :roll:

Oh, and the tyres were still legal, but only just... I don't think that they'd have got me home legally though! :lol: Well, you've got to make sure you enjoy the last few miles of a tyre and find out just what your car'll do without worrying about the cost of rubber! :wink:

Cheers again!

looking sweet matey, them whels are the digs...

but do me a favour, leave it slammed!!!

Form before Function remember!!!

Dub

V nice. I'll got the 17" version of those wheels. Must admit I prefer the later bonnet...looks more purposeful and also allows you to fit a Golf mk2 front strut bar (more clearance) :D

Henny,

I've got the same colour (early VR6) and am looking at wheels, Borbet 16's are probably the front runner presently. Any chance of a side profile pic when you've had it raised. Are you going to get a spoiler on the front?

Rik.

P.S I think that yours is in the top 5 on the board lowered standard car with tasteful alloys!

Rik.

Thanks for your nice comments... I feel quite honored (and slightly embarrased :oops: ) now... :D

I'll get some more photos of her as the work that's being done gets done... I've a few interesting engine parts being made by an aero-engineering mate, so expect some nice titanium parts and pipes... :wink: I'll also do some before and after suspension set up shots...

I will be putting a spoiler back on the front as soon as I can find one that's low enough profile to allow access into my garage without ripping it off every night, but allows brake cooling ducts to be tastefully fitted! :roll: :lol:

She's also going to get a whole shed load of stone chips and scratches sorted out over the summer (hopefully!) so that the paintwork is back to A1 condition, and I hope to give the engine some kind of overhaul to stop her slight oil drinking habit...

Right, I just got back from Santa Pod and have a few more goodies on the car and a few photos of it too... :D Unfortunately I haven't got any of the car going down the strip 'cos I didn't take my licence with me so couldn't try it out... :( :oops:

I did buy (and fit!) some crystal side repeaters to replace the blue ones that I never was too sure about and a new alloy bee-sting to replace the knackered old original one... See what you think, I think that the repeaters are a vast improvement... please ignore that she's filthy, she'd just been driven (hard) for over 250 miles and had also been driven on the wet, muddy grass at Santa Pod... :roll:

The first photo was taken just before I set off and shows off the new suspension height quite well, although it also shows up just how much I do need a chin spoiler now! :lol:

The supersprint coil-over kit is fantastic, and now that I've had the car corner-weighted, she's unbelievably easy and fun to throw around corners and roundabouts... :lol:

OK, so if anyone's seen my thread on "how much is this bolt going to cost me" in the problems section, you'll have read that the crank bolt sheared off as I was bedding in my newly ported/polished/flowed head... :roll: :cry:

Well, it's not all bad news :wink: I've decided that seeing as how the engine was an unknown anyway due to the car being clocked, I'm going to do something a bit silly and throw a load of money at building a new engine for her... :D

The spec will be something like this:

Original PG Block overbored to create genuine 2 litre engine

New crank (balanced)

G60 Rods

New pistons (secret!)

Lightened/balanced flywheel

The whole bottom end balancing

Flowed and ported head (with anything that's been bent replaced! :roll: )

Front mount intercooler (not sure which one yet, got 3 in mind! :roll: )

Mocal oil cooler mounted where the original intercooler was

Samco Water hoses

Samco air hoses + some custom shiney pipes! :lol:

New water pump

New oil pump

New P/S pump

New pulleys on all belt driven items (except the S/C which will be done later)

Original injectors (had 'em tested and they're fine at the moment)

All new sensors

All new stainless steel bolts/nuts/etc...

Lots of paint/powdercoating :lol:

Once she's all bedded in and run in, she'll be visiting someone for a 68mm pulley and chip (SNS probably!) setup on a rolling road to ensure it's all OK for my 2litre!

Exterior wise, she's getting an RS2 style front bumper (if I can find one in plastic!) and a rear mounted camera linked into my new Clarion TV system! :D :D Also I'm going to test my new digital speed trap "privacy device" which stops digital/video cameras from reading my number plates and is perfectly legal! :D (my own invention)

She's also going to have a load of paintwork "seen to" as there's loads of chips and scratches at the moment... :(

I'll be putting info, photos and bits and bobs up as I do the build, so keep watching! 8)

Original PG Block overbored to create genuine 2 litre engine

New crank (balanced)

G60 Rods

New pistons (secret!)

secret ?? to us or to you ?

LOL I like that one daz :D :D :D :D :D dont you mean specific!!!!

Looks good though henny hope to see you at santa pod on sunday the 5th october as a bit of competiotion for me :D go on you know you want too

LOL.. well a genuine 2.0 will require a rebore of at least 85.9mm.. Good luck to whoever is doing that for you as they have balls of steel ! ! ! I'd expect a engine rebuild with that little meat left in the block to come back though the workshop door (followed by a trail of oil) quicker than a G60 charger ren on a 20mm pulley.

DM Ta mate! :D

8VG60 Secret? That'd be telling! What good's a secret if you tell everybody on a Forum?!? Seeing as how I'm building the thing, guess I'm gonna know what's in it! :lol: :p

Banana Man I'd love to take you up on that offer, but there's no way in hell that I can get my car rebuilt in that time with that wonderful thing called "running in time"! Also 'cos of work commitments she's not likely to be ready until late November/early December... (gotta go to Tenerife for an outside broadcast for a week and a bit soon! It's a hard life! :roll: :lol: )

Next season when she's had the chip and pulley and is all bedded in and working 100% with correct fueling etc you're on! :)

Beavis You're right about the overbore to 85.9mm and needing balls of steel to do that... but you forgot about the "new crank"... I never said what it was, or what it's throw was so all your calculations are out the window until I reveal (If I ever decide to! :lol:) what has been put in the bottom end :D Nice try though 8) I know of at least 3 tuning places that do a 2litre conversion to the original block, and all of them have had examples running for a good while with no problems... 8) I also said that I was gonna throw some money at my 'rado, so don't think "within the box" for what I'm doing! (Clarion TV systems ain't cheap for a start! :lol: )

everyone else keep watching! :D

8VG60 Secret? That'd be telling! What good's a secret if you tell everybody on a Forum?!? Seeing as how I'm building the thing, guess I'm gonna know what's in it!

fair play ... respect due .. as i was told you were having the engine built down south...

also which other companys are doing the 2.0ltr using the pg block as i would be intrested in asking them a few questions

I've always liked the look of your car Henny, always nice to see some more pics 8)

Good luck with your venture, sounds like you could be in for a stressfull few months... :)

If you're thinking of uprating your engine why not drop one of the later 20 valve engines in. Volkspeed did a few - complete with a dizzy. Saw their 20v G60 Golf Rallye. Looked sweet. Supposed to be cheaper than a rebore etc as well.

As I mentioned on the forum yesterday, Neil from Volkspeed is still working albiet from home. He was thinking of dropping one in a C.

fair play ... respect due .. as i was told you were having the engine built down south...

also which other companys are doing the 2.0ltr using the pg block as i would be intrested in asking them a few questions

The block and parts will probably be worked on by 16VG60 (John) as he did a lovely job on my flowed head and has so far said all of the correct things I needed to hear about the job, we've just got to work out a few logistics this evening before we get going with it... Who told you it was being built down south? I've mentioned this to very few people who'd know people here... I'm trying to keep most of the details reasonably quiet (he says on a public forum! :lol: ) until it becomes a reality as I've read too many posts that turn out to be nothing but hot air and don't want my plans to go the same way... 8)

Stealth used to advertise a PG based 2 litre, and still will do it, but it ain't cheap! The other couple of companies I've spoken to are based in Germany... There used to be a local company that did a couple of 2litre G60s as well (which is where I got the idea from) but they've folded now and I'm struggling to get info on how they did it... I think they used the TSR style conversion using the tall block and long stroke crank. Not my preffered way of doing it... :roll: :shaking:

sounds like you could be in for a stressfull few months...

Not as stressful as when the crank bolt sheared off after 3 days of having my new head fitted :( :roll: It should be pretty cool, I enjoy building engines, and as I have a golf to drive around in while the C is off the road, there's no hurry to get her finished... 8)

why not drop one of the later 20 valve engines in

I could do, but I want to do something slightly different to the regular tuning companies who are all doing the 20V conversions at the moment. I also prefer the supercharger route of forced induction and want to keep the car relatively standard looking... If I could work out a way of keeping the original front bumper AND putting in a front mount intercooler I would, but I just don't think that there's enough space behind the grill to do it and personally I don't like the modified number plate way of doing it... :roll: :lol:

Capacity helps a lot.. but there is a lot more to the equasion than just capacity. We have spent several months reseaching different options to come up with a plan that will work well. There are lots of reasons we are sticking to 1.9. Other routes all have big trade offs, I can probebly tell you down to the part number what crank you going to use, invest in a set of Custom rods aswell if you do go down that route, will save you a lot in long run. Engine dynamic's are a funny thing, alter one thing or use a product that is not quite suited to the job and all will not be quite right.

I know everybody wants to take a individuel route, but just beware it is not somone elses discarded route as it is not quite what it seems.

Capacity is not the be all and end all. We have a few G40's running 170 BHP at the moment, my track one runs 178bhp, realiably, on 1272cc's (at the moment).

Henney, take a close look at the power charicteristics of the other companies conversions. One company I know uses a 2.0l Commercial transporter van to acive 2.0l instead of the PG, the waterjackets are completly unsuitable for forced induction although the block seems to be pucker for the job at face value.

Just look closely before you spend out on anything, not trying to put you off the scent of getting a powerful lump in ya car, just don't want to see you spend a lot of money for gains/charicteristics that will not follow suit to 'exagerating' the power and charicteristics you already have.

Beavis> what did u make of that genuine 2.0 G60 Mk1 Golf at the Brum ClubGTI meet? That is running an EIP tuning crank, Ross pistons, Eurospec head, R1 charger, Rallye-spec i/c etc etc....should be getting mapped soon, he's hoping for about 260-270bhp with silmilar torque!! :twisted: 8)