Sign in to follow this  
joebloggsVR69

Help!!! VR6 won't start

:cry:

Tried starting the car yesterday morning, and it didnt want to know. So I took the battery out and left it on the charger 'til about an hour ago.

The car still won't start :(

It doesnt even turn over; I put the key in and go to start the car, all I get is the alarm bleeping at me

What's the diagnosis? Starter motor? Dodgy immobiliser?

I did actually leave the car undriven since last Thursday, I'm wondering whether the recent cold snap would have buggered something...

I'm complete n00b when it comes to anything technical on a car so any help is welcome.

I knew I should have joined the AA :wink:

You should hear a click if the starter is dead or jammed.

Does your starter motor just not do anything or does it try and turn the engine ?

If it is trying to turn the engine then its probably either/or leads and coilpack.

Had a similar problem with mine although I didn't leave it for as long as you did so I suspect you'r problem may be related to the above mentioned. But, have you checked the alternator? perhaps more importantly the wires on the alternator, they may well have corroded. Mine is a K 92/3 and the leads were corroded.5 minute job although there is so little space in the VR engine you will probably have to use the extension on the socket set to get in there. :wink:

Does your starter motor just not do anything or does it try and turn the engine ?

I dont think it's doing anything - I cant hear it turning over, not even a little bit.

have you checked the alternator? perhaps more importantly the wires on the alternator, they may well have corroded.

It's actually pretty new, the last guy had a new one fitted - I think that was a year ago. Havent checked the wires though

Has anyone got any tips to isolate what the problem is? :confused4:

Would a dodgy coilpack cause the exact same symptoms as I've got, i.e. not turning over at all?

Antoher thing I've just remembered:

Got the car serviced in Sept. and the mechanic replaced the cold start switch. I have no idea where it is or what it looks like, but I guess it's worth mentioning

Cheers guys

Okay, well looking at previous posts, I can probably assume it's one of the following

Starter motor

Relay 109

Crankshaft position sensor

Various fuses

Fuel pump

Ignition switch

Does a problem with any of sound like they'd stop the car from turning over? :|

CPS won't prevent the car from turning over, nor will the fuel pump. You forgot to add "dodgy immobiliser" to the list.

Oops, yeah dodgy immobiliser could well be a candidate...

Fuel pump seems ok, as I can hear it whirring when the key's in the ignition.

My dash lights work as normal

Basically, I turn the key, I dont hear anything except the alarm chirping away

Now how the hell do I get around the immobiliser :| Or totally remove it so I can get a new one fitted

Call a professional thief perhaps? :wink:

your dashlights come on?

then it aint immobilised!

if you get chirps and whines from the alarm, then that means the battery could be flat. does the alarm become "armed" after trying to start the car?

try jump leads from another car.

make sure your connections on the battery are all tight. and that the earth is good.

My guess is goosed battery, or jammed/dead starter motor.

Or

Immobilisor,

some prevent starter motor operating so you may get dash lights, but you need to listen for 'click' from starter solinoid. When you try and start it do dashlights dim, if so prob battery.

I'm sure the battery's fine, but I'll try and jump start it tonight.

When I turn the key, the alarm sounds like it's trying to go off, but it's not - The bleeps sound like it's stuttering. Instead of a clear audible "BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP" if the alarm siren was actually going off, it's more like "BL-BL-BL-BLEEP" whe n the key is turned to the ignition position.

some prevent starter motor operating so you may get dash lights, but you need to listen for 'click' from starter solinoid. When you try and start it do dashlights dim, if so prob battery

Dont hear any click from the solenoid, and the dash lights dont dim :?

Betcha you can bump start it (push start) If you can, then you've either got a jammed starter or a dead starter switch.

Do the lights on the dash/LCDs dim when you try and start it? If they don't then it's more likely to be the switch. If they do, then I'd bet on the starter having jammed...

when the alarm does that, its flat battery / poor connection (sometimes!!!)

a good bump start will tell you whats wrong! hey it might even unjam the starter too! (if it is that!)

Bad idea to bump start VR6s, definitely not recommended.

Ooops, :oops: didn't notice it was a VR...

As Mat says, don't bump start your VR as you may end up jumping a tooth on the cam chain... :|

Bad idea to bump start VR6s, definitely not recommended.

How come? Should I worry about not carrying jump-leeds around with me in that case?

kangarooboy,

Bump = push start

Jump = connecting another cars battery to power the car being started...

Definte mild... If you do it *really* carefully then theoretically it'll be as gentle as a normal starter motor firing up.

to be honest, I'd probably still bump it once just to prove where the fault is... but bear in mind that if you've not had your chains changed, then they may have stretched and could jump and cause even more problems... :|

It's a bit of a risky one on a VR6... the 4 cylinder ones don't suffer as badly as the cam belt is easy to change and are normally changed at 50 to 60K miles-ish anyway so should be in reasonable nick... :|

Other point is the cam belt never goes slack.. As you say, worn timing chain can be a little sensitive to skipping teeth if you suddenly throw it around..

a-run-along-with-it-then-jump-in-and-pop-it-in-second should be ok

a-tow-it-up-to-30mph-then-slam-it-in-first would stress the chain

a-sentence-with-so-many-hyphons deserves an award!