Sign in to follow this  
dubweiser

lower ball joint bolt....does it need a good belt?

I need to change my cv boot and i managed to get the nut off the ball joint bolt but the bolt will not budge(yet).Is there a way to get it out other than persuading it with a hammer.Is it threaded perhaps?or does it just need a bit of friendly coaxing?Just want to make sure before i hit it.Also i got a new cv boot kit from ECP and there are a few bits in it im not sure about ie a small semi circle shape piece of wire,a plastic ring which is stepped and a flat(ish) metal type washer.Anyone clarify what all these bits are please.Cheers

Renew the ball joints while you have the thing in bits - they're very likely to be knackered.

dubweiser - open up the ball joint bolt housing with a claw hammer - the bolt should come out a little easier. :wink:

Just buy a ball joint splitter. theyre not expensive and will save damaging anything else. Once they're lose you can jack the hub up and the wishbone should fall downwards freeing the hub so you can get the driveshaft out. If your goign to reuse the balljoint make sure you dont damage the rubber boot otherwise it'll last less than 5 minutes

i did the cvs with the ball joints in situ just un do the bolts at the box then turn it to lock the driveshaft will fall down undo axle bolt with wheels on floor first though

Heardy......what three bolts???My plan of action was to just undo the ball joint bolt and the drive shft end nut and that was it.What three bolts u on about mate?

The 3 bolt's that hold the ball joint to the wishbone, i just find it easier to undo them rather than beating the ball joint with a hammer..

Are they all bolted on. I have had to drill out some big rivets before which were replaced by bolts.

Gavin

aha.....maybe i didnt explain it properly.Its not the actual joint im having probs with but the bolt that goes through.Ive got the nut off but didnt want to hit the bolt if it was not meant to come out like this.Cheers

The bolt should come out but they are often rusted solid. a good soaking with WD and a rattle with an impact gun works wonders. Undoing the 3 bolts would be easier. but you risk altering the tracking if you don't get it back exactly where it came from.

Gavin

All the one's that i've seen have been bolted on but there probably are some that are riveted :roll:

Dubweiser is the bolt that youre talking about vertical?/ because if it is i dont't think you're going to shift it by hitting it you need to hit the part that the bolt goes into the while applying some downward pressure :wink:

O too late never mind.....

Aparently they came from the factor riveted so if yours arent riveted then its likely they have been changed

its not the ball joint itself!!Its just the bolt that locks it in place that goes through the hub assembly.Horizontal bolt with 17mm nut on it.

Yeah you can hit that out - put a screwdriver or simmilar on it and give it a good tap. You should idealy replace them with new ones on reassembly. Then jack the hub up and gently tap the wishbone downwards and that should release the ball joint. Make sure you stop the jack from moving backwards when you jack up the hub as the spring will want to force the hub out and use a block of wood so you dont damage your wheel studs / disc.