Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

4WD (syncro) conversion (UPDATE: 20/02/05)

Ben I would seriously check the positioning of the rear beam in your car mate, both mine and pauls corrados do not seem to have a camber problem. its a strange one. For me to have any sort of camber problem the wheels have to be tucked right up in the arches :roll:

Mate the rear beam can only fit in one place once mounted to the factory mounting points! My car is a bit lower than yours, in your pics I can see your car is sitting much higher than mine.. anyway doesn't matter too much any more... watch this space..!

Well done both phat and coxy for doing a grand job anyway!

All I can say is that there's a lot of propper hard work gone on in them there garages!

And the sound! That's a different story, for get about it!(watching Donny Brasco)

Chris

aye ben you are probablies right, I will be running my car higher than you. the lack of rear bumper makes it look higher again though

aye ben you are probablies right, I will be running my car higher than you. the lack of rear bumper makes it look higher again though

yep :) Put the bumper on and see what it looks like, are you using standard 15" wheels?

Finally had a chance to have a look at this. Looking good Coxy, the haldex diff is a big bu99er isn't it. The welding looks good on the bracketry, nice bit of proper engineering, not just bolt on stuff! Look forward to having a good look in the flesh over the summer.

Jay

yeah thats why I took it to my mates, that piece of fabrication is far better quality than anything I could do. I had a hand in the design of it but almost all of the cutting and welding was done by andy leigh. Top lad and a big shout to him. Anyone in the north east wants any custom fab work doing, he's your man!

no ben I am running the 16" 4motion wheels

I actually have a set of subaru impreza OZ racing wheels to go on but one of them needs a refurb, so they will go on later

no ben I am running the 16" 4motion wheels

I actually have a set of subaru impreza OZ racing wheels to go on but one of them needs a refurb, so they will go on later

coolio...

I think mine is about as low as the the pic on your right hand bottom sig.

I dont want to go any lower cos a) the 4wd axle starts to look a bit un naturally compressed at this point and I am sure it wont work properly, and b) the haldex diff is enormous and it will be just my luck to tw*t it with a brick or something. If I dont like the look I will fit a set of 18"s on it :-)

I dont want to go any lower cos a) the 4wd axle starts to look a bit un naturally compressed at this point and I am sure it wont work properly, and b) the haldex diff is enormous and it will be just my luck to tw*t it with a brick or something. If I dont like the look I will fit a set of 18"s on it :-)

That pic in the bottom right of my sig pic is quite low, the tyres are almost in line with bottom of the arch.. At that height there is a bit of camber there. x2 people I know that have 4wd corrado's (uk) had the same problem as me. One of them had 16" porsche splits and it was so bad that he has made a completely new rear subframe, the other guy has done similar. I am following suit.. If you have yours higher up then you will only have a little camber. I could see it ever so slightly from your pics, it takes a trained eye.. :? If Phat wants his low with wide wheels he is going to struggle, thats all I'm going to say about his car. Yours on the other hand will be fine if you keep it as it is. Also the lower you go the more the rear CV's are put in over drive as the drive shaft angle gets worse. If you fit 18's imo you won't get the best out of it on the track if thats what you intend to do...

My 2 pence worth..

Ben

That pic in the bottom right of my sig pic is quite low, the tyres are almost in line with bottom of the arch.. At that height there is a bit of camber there.

the way my car is at the moment I can get 1 and a half fingers between the top of the tyre and the arch, so not that much difference really, and the camber on my car is about the same as wor lasses mx-5.

x2 people I know that have 4wd corrado's (uk) had the same problem as me. One of them had 16" porsche splits and it was so bad that he has made a completely new rear subframe, the other guy has done similar. I am following suit.. If you have yours higher up then you will only have a little camber. I could see it ever so slightly from your pics, it takes a trained eye.. :? If Phat wants his low with wide wheels he is going to struggle, thats all I'm going to say about his car. Yours on the other hand will be fine if you keep it as it is. Also the lower you go the more the rear CV's are put in over drive as the drive shaft angle gets worse. If you fit 18's imo you won't get the best out of it on the track if thats what you intend to do...

the 18"s thing was a flippant remark :D i am really bad at sarcasm!

Anyways there is one big difference between mine and horrocks cars, and your and the other cars ben - we are running mk3 VR6 syncro rear wishbones which are wider and lessen the camber effert considerably it would seem

we are running mk3 VR6 syncro rear wishbones which are wider and lessen the camber effert considerably it would seem

Fair play, I'm implementing custom bits for the rear so that I can have it totally adjustable to suit the occasion... track day or show.. hopefully that will work out ok..

ok since not a single person was interested in the last set of pictures I will try another couple :roll:

and if these dont work I might try chroming something, that usually generates a few pages of response lol

I am but I was on holiday that week :) Been watching yours, Phat's and Ben's with great interest..... particularly you and Phat (and Jay R) because of the 24V engines....which I really must get onto at some point.

LOL, at chroming :D Don't worry, I'm from the same school as graft and functional mods......keep it going mate.

Awww, sorry bud....you're 4 valves short to be of any interest :D

Nah, yours is of particular interest because of the mega power, the awesome interior and you were the first on the forum to go 4x4 :wink:

like the sound of the fully adjustable setup, I will see how this fairs before I jump into anyting like. Its appealing though.

Whens yours going to be hitting the roads then ben? I think I am hoping late next month. but it will have to go in for paint after that though.

Cheers for the logged interest Kev lol

Ive just fited a borrowed set of coilovers on mine, currently have it sat so the top of the wheel (16") is about 2 fingers off the wheel arch. cer is bang on the same as the fronts, 1.5 degrees. nothing too outrageous there.

kev, my mates got a complete 24v setup going for a grand, mail me.....

he's been busy with his house extension and playing with his new bike.

when I get my camera sorted I'll be showing a few demo clips of the traction on different surfaces, that's all I can think of to add to this pretty comprehensive thread now.

he's been busy with his house extension and playing with his new bike.

when I get my camera sorted I'll be showing a few demo clips of the traction on different surfaces, that's all I can think of to add to this pretty comprehensive thread now.

good lad, how is your car?

shite, I hate it!

now I've got used to it again I've decided it's been feeling a bit flat, and I went to the track yesterday to run some times.....see the other thread about that........gutted.

I'm going to tone the car down a bit too, it's too much like a race car, not a road car.

also, the syncro system is utter sh1te for drag racing too, the front wheels still spin!!

it's great in the wet though.