Sign in to follow this  
fj

Leather repair/restorer

I think you'll find that once the leather has cracked, it'll never restore properly. Most of these oils & creams are preventative, rather than remedial - they feed the leather in order to stop it cracking in the first place. Some products will tart up tired leather, but unfortunately you'll never get rid of the cracks.

tbh if you can improve the suppleness of the leather and the cracks are not too obvious with a suitable dye then that is pretty much okay. I dont believe in those crack "fillers" - plus they cant be very long lasting on normal aniline leathers and the punishment that seats tend to get.

Right on JIMJAM- keep it supple and care for it from day1. Painting them helps take your eye off the cracks, but the scars will never heal.

So what was the best thing to go for then? Saddle wax or this liquid leather stuff?

I've got my grey leather now and there are a couple of minor marks I want to remove but I also want to keep it supple, which it is at the moment.

Also, anyone know if there's a way of removing indentation marks from leather? I have a mark that looks like someone has dug a finger nail into the leather. Hasn't punctured it, but it's left a permanent mark :x

I have been using the Autoglym stuff and have to be honest- whilst it makes it look better when you apply it- it seems to be getting worse over the long run. Its almost like its too 'bulky' and leaves too much residue in the leather :mad: I'm going for the liquid leather cleaner then conditioner- I'll do some before and after pics but it might be a few weeks yet.

Cheers

kevhaywire, i believe there is a method whereby you heat the damaged area with a hairdryer and then rapidly cool it with say a piece of metal sitting in a glass of ice. Good for closing worn areas so i guess you could also use it for that dent of yours.

I got bought some Connolly(sp) leather feed/wax, which I gave to the valeters when they did the car - seems to have softened the leather up nicely and I had that new-leather smell for a couple of weeks too! Not sure how expensive it is though...

If the leather is fed and becomes more supple, then the indentation mark should kind of smooth out I reckon...

Cheers for the tip Fla, I'll try that!

I've just ordered the cleaner and conditioner from that liquid leather site. A truly cr@p order process which I don't really trust, but hey ho, I'll see what turns up!

I'm going for the liquid leather cleaner then conditioner

I use this stuff, can't get enough of it (it's not addictive is it?). Seems to do a good job, brought the settee up great as well.

I use this stuff, can't get enough of it (it's not addictive is it?). Seems to do a good job, brought the settee up great as well

Great- I'll get some ordered- Whereabouts in sheff you from Dave- Its just I'm looking for a place in Sheff now- Could have a Storm mini meet in a few months time :wink:

Could have a Storm mini meet in a few months time

Now that would be impressive - don't want any of that McDonalds carpark stuff though, I havn't got a big subwoofer.

Anyway I'm just a little out of Sheff (North) actually Ice White Socks, but that's where my roots are. Keep me posted. 8)

Yeah, highly recommend the liquid leather. Sorted out the slight marks on my black leather a treat. Ordering process is indeed a bit backward, but mine turned up pronto and was exactly what I'd asked for. The treatment makes the leather supple and smells nice too. Infinately better than autoglym!

My liquid leather cleaner/conditioner kit turned up today and it really does smell of leather, LOL! Generous 250ml bottles of cleaner and conditioner for £13.50 delivered, you really can't go wrong.....and I like the leather smell :D

Kev, make sure you take some before and after pics, although looking in your gallery the leather does look fantastic already. Probably best for some tired looking areas like the bolsters.

Yeah I just needed the conditioner really to keep it looking good. The leather was in storage for a couple of years too apparently, so will need a good clean and dust first. If there's a noticable difference, I'll take pics but I doubt there will be.

The test we all want to see is their 'scuff guard' stuff that renovates knackered old cracked leather.

The test we all want to see is their 'scuff guard' stuff that renovates knackered old cracked leather.

Indeedy - anyone used this?

yeah definately mine could do with a bit of that ive just replaced the rivers bolster and is looking a bit cracked.