Sign in to follow this  
bcstudent

"Lady owner" as a sales pitch

Can somebody explain why "lady owner" is considered a good thing in a car advertisment? The majority of women I know have no mechanical savvy at all and haven't got a clue what constitutes good maintenance. For example, I can remember a case of my mother topping up the expansion tank of her brand new Seat Leon Cupra with washer fluid......nice! How can that possibly be a good thing?

My point is, even if women are less aggresive behind the wheel (a questionable point in itself), how does that make a difference if the car they're driving is badly maintained and developing wear beyond its years?

women drive badly and whenever u see a women ragging a car they ragg it really hard...................its not really a good thing but they prob wash it reularly with rubber gloves and a brillo pad :shock: i seen a female friend clean her dashboard with Jif once :cuckoo: came out really good :mrgreen:

i seen a female friend clean her dashboard with Jif once :cuckoo: came out really good :mrgreen:

That's the funniest thing I've heard today....all 27 minutes of it. I'm still pretty sure it's the funniest thing I'm GOING to hear today though. :D

imagine the brillo pad on the outside of ya car than ohh them swirl marks lol no need to polish EVER!!!

Maybe my car has had a lady owner with a brillo pad in the past. That would go some way to explaining the disgraceful paintwork at least. Come to think of it, I haven't seen the paint for several months through the filth.

Pictures can be deceiving! Trust me.....worlds apart. Your Corrado is THE cleanest example I could imagine. It's a credit to you.

bcstudent, cheers :oops:

G60Jet, saying that,,, i got my mummy to sell my Rs Turbo,,,, was a lot easier and efficient, i was only 18

Your Corrado is THE cleanest example I could imagine. It's a credit to you.

Is that something to do with how often it gets driven ;) :lol: jk!!!

This is deemed "good" for various reasons (all the following are sweeping generalisation - exactly as used by the insurance industry!):

- as you say they often drive less aggressively

- they have less accidents in general than men (but men drive more miles)

- they don't go in for tacky upgrades so much - the car is unlikely to have been molested or turbod or chipped or whatever in the past

- they DON'T maintain their cars. It's ALL done by garages usually, so theoretically at least trained people are the only ones who ever opened the bonnet and tried to do something

.. plus many others.

Why do you think the women-only insurers exist? There has to be some statistical reason for it.

Easy to tell if it has been owned by a lady, if you go to take it for a test drive and can't get in and the rear view mirror doesn't actually point out the rear window.

My C had two lady owners from new when I bought it in October and I saw that at the time as a good selling point, however now I'm not so sure, considering everything that I've had to do to it since buying it! OK, the car has only done 83k, and 2k of them I've done myself, and although I believe the first lady owner that had the car for about 11 years kept it well maintained, the lady I bought it from obviously didn't!

dinkus, if i took a pic of it today u wouldnt recognise it lol hasnt been washed for 8 weeks and been thrashed to bugger during them 8 weeks everday...

wish it was a VR ,, i hear they go so fast they clean themselves....only jk

- they have less accidents in general than men (but men drive more miles)

No they just *cause* more accidents for men, bumping up the male v female stats. Men observe roundabout activity WAY earlier than women do and drive straight onto it if it's clear and take their chosen exit fluidly and assertively. Women on the other had don't look any further than the end of their own bonnet. They come to a roundabout, lock the brakes up and *then* look :roll:

As a whole, men are just more observant, less hesitant and more confident on the roads, period!

- they don't go in for tacky upgrades so much - the car is unlikely to have been molested or turbod or chipped or whatever in the past

Really? Ever heard of Chavettes Mat? You need to get with the times mate. There are plenty of women around at the moment into ICE and mods.

- they DON'T maintain their cars. It's ALL done by garages usually, so theoretically at least trained people are the only ones who ever opened the bonnet and tried to do something

Which is why my Mum has blown up two cars through lack of even simple maintenance like checking the oil. Silly Mum :)

Why do you think the women-only insurers exist? There has to be some statistical reason for it.

Because as you say, there's fewer female drivers, the majority of them are low use second car users, few women drive long distances, they drive slower and generally own cheaper cars than men...so....yes, it's *those* stats, not because they are *better* drivers.

like i said before wehn women mess with cars,,, they do it HARDCORE,, no man could do that without burberry sponsership

I've always thought 'female only' insurance companies are treading on thin ice , its blatent sexisim! imagine if it was the other way around? there'd be women lining the streets burning their car-bras! Fair enough offering them lower policys if the statistics say they're less of a risk, but surely it's illegal to promote yourself as a 'female only' company?

Try dealing with Diamond then mate! They don't like male drivers and make no attempt to hide the fact.

A few years ago, some dozy cow hesitated on a roundabout when I'd already joined it and had right of way. Just as I was about to drive around her dumb arse that was stopped half way across the roundabout, she decided to be unhesitant and proceeded to continue her journey across the r/about and straight into the nearside rear 1/4 of my beloved 16V Turbo.

I was gutted, I was on my way to Stealth for some mods and arrived there with a beaten up shell :(

The story continues....... so after the Golf was struck I found a place ahead to turn round and come back to exchange details (this was a big, fast moving Motorway intersection btw) - only to find she had vanished! Grrrr...I was fuming, absolutely livid. So I continued on to stealth again in a rage and saw this car limp it's way round a corner ahead..... It was her.

I pull over, get out and help the two women push the car off the road, which was f'cked. Bent bumper and wing, snapped engine mount, bent chassis leg, smashed headlight etc etc . She says, "Oh thankyou, I've just been in an accident and the car is broken now..." and I retorted "Yes it was ME you drove into, why did you leave the scene of the accident?" "Oh, ah, erm, yeah well you see I'm trying to get to London waffle waffle waffle...."

Anyway, in a state of disbelief about her lack of memory, observation, leaving the scene and driving a wrecked car I managed to get her details and low and behold, she was ins'd with feckin diamond.

It took a year to get anything out of them and they claimed it was my fault to the bitter end....it went 50/50.

So you can understand my contempt for women drivers and the way they are molly coddled by insurance companies, which is undeserved.

I've always thought 'female only' insurance companies are treading on thin ice , its blatent sexisim! imagine if it was the other way around? there'd be women lining the streets burning their car-bras! Fair enough offering them lower policys if the statistics say they're less of a risk, but surely it's illegal to promote yourself as a 'female only' company?

Was in the paper the other day that the European Union tried to get rid of woman only insurers in the Uk as it is "sexism" but got turned over by our goverment

Was in the paper the other day that the European Union tried to get rid of woman only insurers in the Uk as it is "sexism" but got turned over by our goverment

And it would do because it's loss of revenue for them.... i.e. 2.5% Insurance premium tax. Can you believe labour? Taxing feckin insurance!

Because as you say, there's fewer female drivers, the majority of them are low use second car users, few women drive long distances, they drive slower and generally own cheaper cars than men...so....yes, it's *those* stats, not because they are *better* drivers.

I'm sure I don't remember ever stating anything about women being better drivers... Or perhaps babel fish is translating all my posts into flame bait somewhere between my keyboard and the forum database?

Yeah, my mother sold her BMW about 6 years ago. The Stealers advertised it as 'One lady owner', what they forgot to say was 'One son and two daughters learned how to drive in this car'.

hello guys

not all women drivers are the same :roll:

ive always looked after my cars

No offence intended by starting this thread. I was just mildly curious as to the responses it'd get - the question is based on my own experiences only. I feel I have to point out that a large proportion of my male friends also don't know which end of a screwdriver to hold and their cars are, as a result, badly maintained.