Timo.

Gearbox oil replaced

Just replaced the oil in the gearbox. Old stuff wasn't too bad. It only took about 1.6 litres to fill it. Is that about right? It was on a flat drive and I filled it up till it poured out of the hole.

Gear change is very precise and postive now. Was pretty good anyway, but it'll be interesting when the car is cold in the morning. It used to whine a little when really cold so hopefully that'll cure that, not that it whined for very long mind.

T.

yup, the box takes 2litres when empty, but the chances of emptying it completely without stripping it down and cleaning each part is zero! :lol:

1.5 litres is about average, and you've described the correct way of doing it too, so don't worry about it.... 8)

What oil did you use? (just out of interest... 8) )

castrol SMX-c or something like that. My halfords dont have the redline stuff and I wasn't too bothered about putting that in. wee bit more expensive too. Was going to put slick 50 treatment in too but that stuff 16 bucks.

I thought some new semi decent stuff should be fine, there's nothing wrong with the box and I never have any trouble with it.

T.

oh good, I read a thread on here about it. Seemed to have a good rep.

What you doing to J-DUB then?

T.

swapping the engine, brakes, leather and a few other bits out of J-DUB into the grey one (I really need to name her soon... :| ) and then saving some money to do something a little different... Still not 100% sure what yet though, but it's probably gonna be a first... ;) 8)

MMMmmmm sounds interesting mate. Get saving, look forward to hearing about this in the future!!

It a nice grey g60 you have there, i've always like that colour. I went to look at one the same as that when my Dad and I were on the look out for a g60. It said in the advert it was mint! It was nothing of the sort, was rather annoyed and had travelled quite a few miles to see it too.

T.

wasn't in Liecester was it? I looked at one there 2 years ago being sold by a "trader" down from his front garden which was utter crap. Bald tyres all around, curbed wheels, no SH, knackered sunroof, crap condition leather/interior and didn't run properly... I didn't even test drive it and had a right go at the bloke selling it for even asking if I wanted to test it 'cos of the downright dangerous tyres on it... :|

Redline does indeed make a big difference!! It turns perfectly good bearings into worn out ones in a hurry! Dont use that stuff! I have seen way to many gearboxes destroyed just by using that stuff!!!

See this is the thing about the Vortex.... there rarely seems to be substantiation of such claims....but then with a name like "Dick Shine", what else can you expect!

Old topic, but I've had a similar issue as this chap and was after a second opinion. Just gone to change the gearbox oil as it was old, and some had leaked out when I was cleaning the gearbox case (out of the little plastic cap on the gear shifter housing - not sure if this is meant to happen??). Poured in about 1.5l of MT-90 (300ml left in second bottle by weight) until I noticed it dribbling out - pulled out the funnel but then a good steady trickle ran out for a few minutes without the funnel there. 

Question is I now have 1.5 l minus x ml that has dribbled out, so I don't know how much is in there. 

Car is ostensibly level - I checked with a spirit level and the gearbox seemed level, although have checked again and there is an almost imperceptible tilt forwards, 2 degrees maybe which feels like it is in the realms of tolerance for most "flat" surfaces. When I undid the fill plug nothing really came out - there was a slight run mark on the case when I came back to it but nothing major. 

Do I assume that there is near enough 2l (whatever old oil didn't drain out plus what I put in) in there because it wouldn't have drained out otherwise?

I suppose the question is more to reassure my own mind as there's no realistic way I can get that gearbox perfectly level so not much I can do about it!

Maybe some old oil in there. The gear box also has to be in use a little bit to spread the oil. I'm not sure where you are seeing the oil come out - do you mean somewhere near the shift tower at the front?

27 minutes ago, fendervg said:

near the shift tower at the front?

Yes, exactly. There's a little plastic cap on it that's fairly loose fitting:

image.png

When I was tipping it up to get to the underside a little leaked out of there. Not loads mind.

Should be fine - I've changed it before on a 02* boxes and usually filled to just above the level of the lip on the fill hole - this usually meant 80-90% of the 2 litres.

Pretty sure that cap is a vent / breather? As the box warns up air escapes via that cap and lubes he shift tower with oil mist at the same time?

That makes sense. 

Shame there isn't a dipstick or something to let you know the level... Nothing I can do about it in reality anyway. Can't physically get any more in and I wouldn't know how much more to safely put in anyway.