Sign in to follow this  
Scott

VR6 Cylinder Head Removal

Looks like the VR6 head is coming off - Im still getting a little smoke now and again when weather is red hot and oil is hot.... so suspect valve guide wear although why it never smokes on cold start is a mystery!!!

Anyway I need some advice on cylinder head removal on a VR6 - as going to do the job myself.

Do I need to remove timing chains?

Where can I get a gas flowed and ported re con head for sensible money ? - is it worth doing?

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers

Scott

All I know is I spoke to my local garage (have taken various problems there over several years), and asked about the oil it consumes and a water leak. They ended up minor external problems, and said that the head needed to come off he wouldn't touch it. Didn't exactly fill me with confidence for when the day comes!

Don't know anymore detail than that, the timing chain issues worry me though. What was wrong with the old 16v golf cam belt and chain arrangement? My VR6 infrequently stalls for no reason, I was regularly bump starting it until I read the chain tensioners suffer badly!

looks like im having the same sort of problems as you scott,but i think mines worse,im gettng a puff of smoke..when im coasting in say 4th gear then put my foot down im getting a puff of smoke,and a bit of smoke on cold start up but not all the time..do you reckon its valve stem seals or have my rings have gone??

Sounds like suspect head gasket or valve stem seals and guides.....

Either way its off with your head!!! *;)

Don't know anymore detail than that, the timing chain issues worry me though. What was wrong with the old 16v golf cam belt and chain arrangement? My VR6 infrequently stalls for no reason, I was regularly bump starting it until I read the chain tensioners suffer badly!

Don't worry about the chains until you need to. There are a lot of urban myths about the chains.

If the VR6 used a cam belt, the engine would approx be 1.5-2" wider and therefore wouldn't fit in the engine bay. Have a look at how much clearance there is on the airbox side chassis leg and you'll see what I mean.

If your VR is stalling regularly, hook it up to VAG-COM and see if the idle valve is OK (N71). Cleaning the idle valve helps for a while and replacing it sometimes cures the problem for good, but not always.

As for working on VR6 heads, it's not a pleasant job. The camshaft end gear bolts are very tight. Make sure you use a VAG headgasket and make sure it's the revised one. Might be an idea to replace the two plastic tensioners whilst you're there.

A flowed head if done properly can give good results. Try Stealth Racing or http://www.hiflowheads.co.uk/

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6

Looks like the VR6 head is coming off - Im still getting a little smoke now and again when weather is red hot and oil is hot.... so suspect valve guide wear although why it never smokes on cold start is a mystery!!!

Scott,

did you get in touch with Chris Gaskell about your smoking problem (not of the tobacco variety :) ) ???