Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Red Lamps, Which bulbs?

Then you don't have wholly red lamps - so some un-filtered light gets through...

I understand what you are saying but after the lights were tinted I originally used standard bulbs which gave very much a red look but it was far more orange once I changed to green. Not sure on the science but it works, mine are stiped with some of the tinting less heavy but red nontheless.

OSV, ok, well if it works, cool :)

Just saying its not the de-facto answer as will depend on how heavy the tint is

Right - here's my definitive (well, by my standards!) answer - and I'm agreeing with OSV here; green bulbs are the way to go...

On rear lights with three coats of spray with the stripes masked, then a final fourth coat without the stripes, plus lacquer over the top, green bulbs give by far the most orange light when shone through the lenses. White and orange bulbs just shone mostly red...!

So now I'm mostly legal again! :lol:

Still got pink reverse lights though... :oops:

Not fancy selling the fk's then ?

Once I have decided which lights look best on the back of my C I'll be selling one set... my money is on the all reds tbh though as someone recently got over £100 on egay with a set (very good job on 'em though :wink: )

If I decide to get rid of the FK's I'll give you a shout though 8)

OSV, Are your reverse light red too? (sorry couldn't really tell in your pic)

I guess you could simply mask over the reverse lights when you want to tint the rears - that way they'll stay white. I'm adding this to the summer planning list.

I guess you could simply mask over the reverse lights when you want to tint the rears - that way they'll stay white. I'm adding this to the summer planning list.

Like this you mean.

Guys I got my rear lights working a couple of weeks ago and mine are tinted red but the light shines through orange/amber fine.... I used about 5 really thin layers and laqured it loads to get the deep finish. However they are still illegal as they don't reflect.

Like this you mean.

Absolutely. Not sure what you mean by the reflectors being in the lower half - do you not simply spray the orange indicators in their entirety?

A car has to have reflective red lenses on the car. IIRC the Corrado are on the inner lower part so if you just spray the lights like mine (only the upper half) they are perfectly legal. These still flash orange.

Yeh just spray the orange top half , you will probably run out of spary anyway if you do the lot :D

If your having trouble , getting hold of green bulb's a can get bulb condom's !!! :wink:

Just soke them in warm water b4 putting them over your own bulb's , they work a treat :D

Also i've tinted my reverse light , it look's a bit more modern IMO ;)

I think you can get green glass paint at WHSmiths so should be no excuse for red indicators! :) Got mine at a local arts shop though - £1.30 for a little bottle...

This is how my rear lights look when lit now:

furki mate

why dont you buy some of that and then paint up a batch of bulbs and sell `em on here for all us red light boys an girls?!?!

If I get enough people PMing me, then I'm happy to go to Halfrauds this weekend, buy some bulbs and paint em up for y'all! :) Still have loads of paint left...

Just let me know and I'll get on the case... Anyone who's going to Ace Cafe on tues can collect theirs then...

Mine still flash bright red, even with green bulbs.

I have a solution though, just don't indicate when there are any police behind you..........and put your old light back on for the MOT.

i can get the halfords rear light paint/lacquer to actually stick to the lights keeps dripping... ive sanded them down cleaned them all, what am i doing wrong its driving me crazy i jus really want a decent OE-ish finish

shall i try using a clear primer,,,got some good stuff plastic primer from a bodyshop???