Sign in to follow this  
oxfordpaul

Koni suspension - are the kits any good?

Hi guys, sorry I know the question has been asked a million times but have e-mailed Koni about the feeling that Vogtland springs with their kits are rubbish. The response is below.

We have been selling Koni/Vogtland suspension kits for many years with very few problems,

Vogtland are a top quality German spring manufacturer, 2nd in Germany only to Eibach.

Koni have indeed launched a new range of suspension kits (the 1130 series) although have

not produced one for the Corrado, As Koni do not manufacture springs, they have springs

made for them in their own image (i.e Blue with Koni logo) these spring are also made by

Vogtland.

If for some reason you do not want to go down the route of Vogtland springs there are 2

alternative:

1) Buy 4 Koni sport shocks and match them with a set of Eibach springs.

2) Purchase a Koni coilover suspension kit (£795 inc VAT)

Why do you guys not rate them, is it they are too hard, to soft, or that they break or some other reason? What would be the benefit of H&R springs or Eibach springs?

I think people with H&R springs generally slag them off without even trying them because they paid more for theirs...

I drove a golf the other day with a Koni kit on and it was fine, I'd say the Vogtland springs are better then the Eibachs as they sit better (alot of people have had problems with Eibachs sitting the same height front to back..)

Considering they cost about £55 extra as part of the koni kit i'd say there a bargain!

I too have the Koni kit but find them too hard.

I like my H&R's but again they are to hard for the roads round here, on the right surface tho they are amazing!

The ride has a lot to do with the wheels you're using. I'm using std 15s with 195/50 tyres. When I had 17s, the ride was awful as there wasn't much tyre between the wheels and the road

I think people with H&R springs generally slag them off without even trying them because they paid more for theirs...

I drove a golf the other day with a Koni kit on and it was fine, I'd say the Vogtland springs are better then the Eibachs as they sit better (alot of people have had problems with Eibachs sitting the same height front to back..)

Considering they cost about £55 extra as part of the koni kit i'd say there a bargain!

You've changed your tune on that one!

The best person to speak to is JediKnight83 as he knows both the H&R/Koni and Vogtland/Koni setups quite well. He rates the H&Rs much more than the Vogtlands.

Mine rides better on the H&Rs and 17s than his did with Vogtlands and 15s!

With the SSK kit you're basically getting the springs for nothing. The H&Rs cost £140 for a reason......

If it's any help, last year Vince at Stealth told me swapping the springs to H&R's would transform the ride and that they don't sell the kits cus the springs are crap.

Well thanks so much for the help, had ordered the SSK kit but now cancelled and ordered 4xtop adjustable Koni's and H&R springs so they'd better be good!! From Larkspeed who seemed very helpful and good prices.

Thinking about buying the SSK kit and then upgrading at a later date. Or hoping that a certain group buy gets going in another thread.

What sort of price did you get these for, if you don't mind me asking?

Once I get the MOT out of the way I'll be changing my Vogtlands for H&R's. Stealth can get me in for the end of Feb. But this depends on how my MOT goes.

Of course I'll report back the improvements with the H&R's.

If you want to do that then fair enought but it basically means getting the job done twice - 3-4 hours labour including the geometry setup!

Spoke to Stealth today and have booked my car in for H&R springs, top mounts and bump stops, goes in 17th March.

Again they told me the kit springs are not very good and they only recommend the H&R's with Koni TA's.

My Koni setup is pretty old and the car sits quite high. When i get the chance i will be swapping over the Eibach springs from the other car. I may see if i can get some lowering cups for the front to bring the front down slightly to match the back.

for the record..i had the vogland springs on my mk2 golf, i couldnt stand it they were horrible on average roads

for the record..i had the vogland springs on my mk2 golf, i couldnt stand it they were horrible on average roads

steveo29, did you replace them? If so, what with?

i replaced the springs with weitec beacause i had em laying around, its much better imo with these, maybe not 100% perfect but i can put up with it now

I can't take the hard ride anymore! Currently on Koni T/As and Eibachs... I will be going back to original suspension for a while and will put the koni's in the loft, may get some H&R springs to match them some day. But for now ride comfort is far more important than looks and handling.

IMHO the Koni SSK kit is great value for money. I've got it fitted to mine and don't find the ride too harsh at all, even the mrs agrees with me, and I live down an un-tarmaced road! They've been great on track as well, no body roll at all, so overall I'm very happy with them. I'm running standard VR6 wheels....so maybe that's what makes the difference? :?

oxfordpaul, if you want to see what they're like give me a PM....no free kebab's though sorry :lol:

I just got back from Stealth with a new set of Koni T/A's and H&R springs (previously had a standard setup). I was concerned about the ride being too harsh as I have quite a few speed bumps and naff roads in my area.

I am v.chuffed with the result - the ride is not much harsher than standard but the handling is soooo much better as kevhaywire & others have said...

:D :D