Sign in to follow this  
Rossco

Bad habbit developed - update, please help :(

Right ive spent 4 months re-building and converting my 16v to G60 its all done and runs quite well im actually quite supprised about it. Anyway i noticed today wen i came back from a wee run, nothing over 4k for 250 miles eh daz, and i noticed there was some smoke from the back when i was pulling away and stuff. I got home and gave it a couple of revs, it appears to be grey almost, not blue so its no oil and it doesnt smell like burn oil. I also noticed the exhaust is well sooty, any ideas i seem to remember a buggered lambda probe will give these symptoms

or am i talking crap??

Cheers

Ross

Put a high impeadance voltmeter across the lambda's signal wire and ground (to chassis/engine) and see if the voltage moves rapidly (engine running - when hot). If it's stuck at 0.45V, it be buggered.....

What chip have you got in the ECU? Could be overfuelling. Blue temp sender, how new is that?

Put a high impeadance voltmeter across the lambda's signal wire and ground (to chassis/engine) and see if the voltage moves rapidly (engine running - when hot). If it's stuck at 0.45V, it be buggered.....

What chip have you got in the ECU? Could be overfuelling. Blue temp sender, how new is that?

Will it not have to be connected in order for there to be a signal? How do i connect up my voltmeter in this case. I also noticed its totally fine when i start the car and for a couple of mins after, then it starts getting a bit smokey. Sound like lambda probe to anyone??

ta

totally fine when i start the car and for a couple of mins after, then it starts getting a bit smokey. Sound like lambda probe to anyone??

Yeah, as during warm-up the ECU ignores the Lambda-signal. Try disconecting the sensor altogether and drive around a bit to see whether your symptoms are still there. If not, it's your Lambda-sensor.

Tempest

Its also gnoe through a bit of oil, the valve stems seals were re-newed and the charger is re-built and is still being run in the exhaust is really sooty. Disconeected the probe and took it for a burl, seemed to be a bit more responsive and it idled higher at about 1100 but it was still smokin when i got home, any more thoughts.

have you had the car chipped for the engine it now has in it, or are you using a default SNS "off the shelf" chip, and are you running the engine spec exactly the same as the SNS chip is set up for?

It sounds like you're running very rich (as the guys above have already said) or possibly burning a light amount of oil. Did you do anything to the bottom end of the engine when you did the top end rebuild? It's possible that if you haven't then you're passing oil past the piston rings due to the increased pressure caused by having good seals on the valves... How much oil did it use over how long?

Its an off the shelf chip from sns a stage 5 one, bought it from big dazzer at g-werks. One thing i forgot to mention, i just put it together and ran it i havent pissed about with the CO pot or anything like that does this need to be done and if so how do i do it??

ta

best person to talk to is Daz about that one... ;) If you gave Daz the info on your engine, then it'll be the right chip for your engine... 8)

How much oil is it burning?

Ok if anyone is interested it appears to be a combination of a guff vacum hose from the FPR to the inlet manifold and a guff lambda sensor, replaced the vac hose and its well calmed down. Lambda is on order for tuesday so that shoudl see her rosy. Its snowing now tho

nice to hear Harry.... I always forget about that vacuum pipe as it's about the only bit on my engine to have never caused me any hassles... :lol: Then again, I did replace it as soon as I got my first G60! :roll: