Sign in to follow this  
chuck

Laying up the C for a while

Hi,

does anyone have any tips on what is best to do to the C for leaving it for nearly a year without driving it. I might be able to get someone to start it every week, but they won't be able to drive it as it will be uninsured.

I was going to sell it, but its worth more to me than I would get in cash... :)

Garage it, leave the windows open a little, also leave the boot open a bit, neither engage the handbrake nor put it into gear, just chock it with some wood to prevent it from rolling. Stick an oil-drenched rag in the exhaust.

Inspect the interior every now and then for moisture build-up, especially during the winter months, as temperature and humidity changes in GB can wreak havoc, and lead to unsightly white marks, that if caught early, can still be wiped off quickly.

That's how I lay up my Roccos over the winter months.

Tempest

disconnect the battery too else it'll be flatter than a very flat thing when you get back to it... (or buy a trickle charger to keep it topped up...)

disconnect the battery too else it'll be flatter than a very flat thing when you get back to it

I can vouch for that. I took my VR off the road for a 6 month period a few years ago. During that time, it wasn't started once, but after 6 months, i connected the battery back up, turned it over and it fired up first time!! One of the tyres was very soft though.

If you leave the battery connected, and it doesn't get used, it will go flat very quickly...

Steve

We have been here before, quite recently.

To control humidity, try to get some silica gel from an electronics manufacturer - it's a desiccant. If you put a few big bags of the stuff inside the cabin it will do the job. If you do that, it's best to shut the windows.

Also, lightly spray a domestic fungicide (the stuff your chambermaid does the bathroom tiles with) onto the upholstery and the seat belts. Make sure it hasn't got bleach in it though.

If you can, get the wheels off the ground to stop flat-spotting the tyres; alternatively get someone to drive it occasionally. If the engine is started make sure that it is then thoroughly warmed up; the worst thing you can do is just to start it for a few seconds and then switch it off again for ages.

If you do leave it for a long time without starting, when the time comes get the oil pressure up without firing so that the cam and crank bearings and the hydraulic followers are fully lubricated under as low a load as possible.

Best wishes

RB

nope, DO NOT PUT MORE OIL IN!

there's a quick way and a proper way.

The quick way is to disconnect the main coil lead so that the engine won't fire and then crank it over for a few seconds (20 to 30 should be enough to get the pressure up and the oil into the head)

The better way is to take out the spark plugs AND disconnect the coil and fuel pump and crank it over for 30 seconds or so...

The reason it's better is that you're putting less strain on the non-lubricated internals (and the starter motor!) by removing the compression in the cylinders. You stop the fuel pump simply so that you don't end up spraying petrol everywhere as the engine turns over so you don't blow yourself up! :lol:

The reason it's better is that you're putting less strain on the non-lubricated internals (and the starter motor!) by removing the compression in the cylinders. You stop the fuel pump simply so that you don't end up spraying petrol everywhere as the engine turns over so you don't blow yourself up! :lol:

Usefull tip there :lol:

I have to admit that I always leave my battery in my laid up Roccos, but charge tem up every 4 to 5 weeks. The best thing for a battery is to have a continuous small load (e.g. the immobiliser), then recharge it again at regular intervals, a bit like when you drive the car.

As far as cranking the engine is concerned, I even go as far as handcranking the engines at the crankshaft pulley :lol:

Tempest

You really have nothing to worry about with a Corrado.

If my old MK1 GTI started first turn of the key (after the battery was recharged) after 18 months of standing, I'm pretty sure a Corrado will be the same, and that car is now 22 years old!