Sign in to follow this  
Joe M

1.8t into a vr

Im a big fan of the vr6 so we dont need to go into how much more character it has, but im looking for info on putting a 1.8t into my corrado.

2 reasons for this, vr6 needs a rebuild which will cost a fortune, and be basically the same spec it is just now, I feel I can probably get a lot more out of a 1.8t for the money.

There was a black 1.8t for sale on the forum a while back that used to be a heavily modded vr, bvh, schrick bits and the rest, and the graphs showed the 1.8ts torque curve to be very similar, just a lot further up the range. This is the sort of thing im looking for.

So, whats involved in doing this in a vr thats different from the usual fitting it to a 4 cylinder C. Is it easier or more difficult? Would I still be able to use my vr gearbox as I want to keep the quaife?

All info and comments welcome.

That's one thing I queried on the other thread - the Gearbox. I don't know if the VR ratios are suited to the 1.8T or not, again, this is something the main man can help with....he did used to work for Gemini after all :wink:

As far as the engine goes, once the VR is out, you're left with pretty much the same empty bay as all the other Corrados. The mounts should drop on nicely but you may need 1.8T front and rear VT mounts to replace you VR ones with, and yet again, the man would know, LOL!

Take it you're going for a 225 engine?

I dont think the vr gearbox fits on to a 1.8t, not without a bit of work anyway. Probably minimum of changing the bellhousing.

I would be looking at getting either the 210 or 225 engine, decent intercooler to start with and preferably on factory management and with a 6 speed box?

Would likely cost more initially than fixing the vr but then I would have bits to sell on, quaifed box, vgi+268's, and all the other vr bits id be left with.

Once its done I would have more scope for upgrading instead of having a vr that the only upgrade left would be a bvh, or charger.

The 1.8T is an awesome motor. I put one in my mk3 Golf.

I'm not sure its going to be cheaper than rebuilding a VR. You'll need to use the entire wiring harness out of the 1.8t car. You won't be able to use the VR6 tranny, because the housing will not bolt up. You'll need a G60 housing...that'll bolt up. It cost me about 5000usd after all said and done.

That's with all the bolt on parts: Front mount intercooler, Oettinger inlet pipe, Neuspeed downpipe, oil cooler, custom Neuspeed chip, new clutch and some other parts I can't remember right now.

Made 180 wheel hp and 200 wheel torque.

2-dynoday_99.jpg

2-eldoradopark_gtg_36.jpg

If you are to use any mk4 tranny you would need a signal converter for the speedo and the rpm sensor...the new trannys use a digital signal.

really?

strange that cos my 02m gearbox mated up to my corrado clocks fine without any converters and both rev counter and the speedo work fine.... :roll:

Oettinger SLC, UK spec cars have a digital speedo sender anyway... 8)

CoxyLaad, US spec cars have a mechanical speedo cable... ;)

CoxyLaad, 24v would likely be the preffered option, but strangely, from what ive seen about the web, its actually easier to fit the 1.8t and as its not something ill be doing myself then it seems more sensible to go for that.

Like I said though, just looking at options. Hopefully a decent 2.9 engine will appear in the classifieds or ebay or something.

Ben leach is developing a plug n play ECU for the 225 motors. WIll the quaife not go in a G60 box? Or could the bell housing be swap on from any old cable box. ( cheapo Passat)

Gavin

Will the 24v fit in with the standard radiator and cooling fans, bits like that? What about the exaust manifold, will it mate up to a vr exaust?

Would be good to get one of them as I could keep my current gearbox and engine mounts.

Thinking about it now I dont see any reason why it wouldnt be easier than a 1.8t, probably just as much work involved in the wiring and management, but the rest being easier.

Now this sounds interesting :

2.7 Litre V6 30V Bi-Turbo into Bora, Corrado, Passat and A4

Our most powerful conversion by far. The 2.7 litre quad-cam 30V bi-turbo engine from the Audi S4 is used, producing 267bhp in standard form. Mated to a Motec engine management system, it is capable of 360bhp. Our kit includes engine, gearbox (2WD only), Motec M800 intercoolers, exhaust including cats and downpipes, wiring loom, cross member kit (required for 4 cylinder cars), V6 radiator (required for 4 cylinder cars) and Ramair induction kit.

There are many variations available for this transplant; RS intercoolers, bigger injectors and KO4 turbos are available at extra cost.

Fitted Price £11160.00

Not at that price though. :roll:

Interesting.... the V6 biturbo is a proper V and mounted North-south in the Audi. I would love to see them squeeze that into a Corrado. I looked at an S4 engine at a show last year and it's quite a big engine.

I was offered an R32 engine last year, complete with harness and ECU etc for about £1700, so they're about.

you can fit the VR water housing on the sid eof the 24v and everything bolts up. Only problem you may have is the downpipes. Phat had to modify his (move them 1cm to the side) to clear the steering rack UJ.

Do it, its the way forward, ok, ultimately not as potentially powerful as a 1.8T but the car retains its identity but is modernised.

Apparently the 24v is a bit of a screamer :) I have a sound clip of one and it sounds like a ferrari!

The 4Motion engine is 204bhp standard isn't it? With 199ft/lb torque?

I read on the Vortex that the 2.8 24V is a bit conservatively rated and they usually see nearer 215bhp from standard lumps....and that's the bogged down yank version!

That's not a bad start! The inlet is plastic aswell as isn't it, with variable timing and inlet tracts? Are there any bonnet clearance issues?

Hmmm, quite tempted myself actually.