Sign in to follow this  
Riley

lambda wiring issues,,,page 4 :!:

alright guys,today i started minting the g60. 8)

1/took out the airbox by disconnecting the pipe from the box end,is it normal to have oil in here?/the airbox?

2/also i popped out the plastics inside as i heard this was good for getting more cold air and a nice induction noise,it sounds mental! is it normal to have a droning type noise?

3/next,with having read up a little about the boost return mod,i thought id pop the pipe off the bottom of the throttle body,and yep,whoosh when you let off the throttle and a whistling type noise while the revs build up.

is it ok to use like this for now?

and how do i carry out this mod properly?

i know i need to blank off the charger where the pipe went,but what happens to the isv and breather thingy on the rocker cover?

could i not leave them and the pipe in place then blank off the pipe where it went on the throttle body?

cheers for any advice,im still learning. :D

neil.

Oil in the airbox doesn't sound healthy... has your charger been checked out recently?

The Droning noise is normal when the airbox silencer thing has been removed

For the boost return mod, you should:

blank off the open side of the charger (either with a plate, or fit another air filter there somehow)

Fit a small breather filter to the end of the ISV - stops an oily mist from being sprayed in your engine bay

and for the breather ontop of the rocker cover, attach a long piece of pipe, and feed that into an oil catch tank (or just under the car out of harms way)

Job done :)

is it ok to use like this for now?

and how do i carry out this mod properly?

I wouldn't in case any foreign objects (and unfiltered air) get into the charger...

You put a small K&N on the ISV and a pipe onto the breather (catch tank optional)

thanks guys :D

ill hook the pipe back up to the t/body for now then.

aye i have receipts to say the charger had a stage 2 rebuild 10k ago at jabba?

neil.

might be worth having a look for oil elsewhere.. in the charger outlet pipe etc. and for even greater piece of mind, crack the charger open and see what kind of condition its in? Should be ok after 10k... but Jabba have been known to cut corners on their charger rebuilds (note - not my own experience, just what I've read :wink: )

might be worth having a look for oil elsewhere.. in the charger outlet pipe etc. and for even greater piece of mind, crack the charger open and see what kind of condition its in? Should be ok after 10k... but Jabba have been known to cut corners on their charger rebuilds (note - not my own experience, just what I've read :wink: )

forgive me m8,is the charger outlet pipe the hard plastic one running down to the intercooler?

what kind of a job is it to dissasemble the charger?

and yeah although i know the charger was rebuilt(just stage 2 whatever that is!?) ive heard plenty times that jabba arent so shit hot any more?

cheers again,neil. :)

A filter on the ISV is imperative to stop debris being drawn into the inlet manifold during warm up where the ISV is working overtime to draw air in.

Does the engine/charger actually benifit from the boost return mod or is it just for the whoooosh noise ??

A filter on the ISV is imperative to stop debris being drawn into the inlet manifold during warm up where the ISV is working overtime to draw air in.

thanks m8,makes sense to me thinking about it now,and trying to get my head round all these pipes and wotnot :lol:

Does the engine/charger actually benifit from the boost return mod or is it just for the whoooosh noise ??

as i understnd it so far,the whoosh bit is what normally goes back into the charger as warm air???

so i think you benefit from having a continuous supply of cold (more dense) air to the charger?

am i gettin this? :D

oh you got the list too then m8? :lol:

any ideas about the oil in the airbox?

neil.

mmmm,not sounding good then with having oil in the air box too :( is it?

what was your experience steve?

just poor workmanship or parts not replaced that should have been?

neil. :)

Another reason for oil in your airbox is if for some reason your engine is breathing quite heavily. This oil is coming from the boost-return pipe and being blown across the top chamber of your g-lader,wether it be an oil seal in your g-lader or the engine breathing heavily i would be looking into to it sooner rather than later. Pull of the boost hose going across the bck of the fan and see what you find in there.

thanks g-man,its done 130k miles so maybe it does breathe a little heavy?

do you know what the compression should be if i test it with a gauge in the plug holes?

and ill check the other pipes for oil too,thanks again.

sorry :-P in addition to above questions...

where does a g60 make peak power,or whens best to change gear?

is it normal for power to feel like it tails off above maybe 4-5k?

it has a superchip and 68mm pulley.

neil.

thanks steve,i took off the outlet pipe from the charger earlier,full of oil :(

does this mean its dead? :(

cheers for the sns link,whats this bit about?

'ISV - if you haven't rerouted it, you may have a leaking ISV.'

also,where do i buy a boost return kit and how much are they?

i made a blanking plate for the charger today but it was a bit flimsy.

saying that,its probably poinless if the g is dead?

neil.

thanks steve,i took off the outlet pipe from the charger earlier,full of oil :(

does this mean its dead? :(

cheers for the sns link,whats this bit about?

'ISV - if you haven't rerouted it, you may have a leaking ISV.'

also,where do i a boost return kit and how much are they?

i made a blanking plate for the charger today but it was a bit flimsy.

saying that,its probably poinless if the g is dead?

neil.

oil in the boost pipe if more than a light mist is not a good thing. but its also not the end of the world just needs looking at.

thanks g-man and steve for the pm. :wink:

where are you based g-man?

im in the north west,wouldnt mind having it looked over as soon as i get some cash together.

neil.

thanks g-man and steve for the pm. :wink:

where are you based g-man?

im in the north west,wouldnt mind having it looked over as soon as i get some cash together.

neil.

unfortunatly im proberly nearer france than i am to you mate... :(

shame,ive heard good things too :(

can you suggest anyone up my way?

is it a costly thing to have checked out,i know its probably hard to say but?

neil. :)

Power will start to tail off on a stock head/cam engine at around 5500-5800rpm where the head starts to be less efficient flow wise. If power is dying off noticibly before this it may be down to a weak fuel pump etc.

The G60 engine is more about torque than high RPM power, there is little point in reving a g60 into the read as all your achiving is putting more strain on the blower.

thanks beavis,i think im gonna give it a full service before looking into the charger.

a m8 says it looks like it has the original or a very old fuel filter for starters,cant be good!

where are pitstop based m8,down south? :(

neil.