Sign in to follow this  
NickRStorm

Suspension bushes

Bit of a noob on here, but can't seem to find the answer with search. Just for background, I just bought a Mystic Blue Storm last month with 79,000 FVAGSH documented miles. I already have 2 Golf MK3's (a 16V & a VR6) for everyday motoring, so the intention is to keep the Storm standard(ish) and do maybe 5,000 miles/year in it. I tend to keep my cars for years & don't mind spending money on them when required. :)

My current dillema is that the rear axle bushes are shot, so what do you guys reckon on poly bushes vs. standard VW rubber? If poly, any make in particular?

if you replace the rear axle bushes with poly ones, you loose the passive rear wheel steering effect the original ones give... Personally, I'd fit genuine VAG rear axle bushes... the ones that are in there have already lasted 10 years+ so the new ones aren't gonna need changing all that quickly! ;) :lol:

if you replace the rear axle bushes with poly ones, you loose the passive rear wheel steering effect the original ones give... Personally, I'd fit genuine VAG rear axle bushes... the ones that are in there have already lasted 10 years+ so the new ones aren't gonna need changing all that quickly! ;) :lol:

Yes, good point, hadn't considered that. On the basis that the rears are gone, I'm thinking of doing the front ones at the same time. VAG again or poly?

The best combination I have found is Poly front and OE rear.

The poly front ones tigheten everything up nicely but don't transmit any more noticeable vibration etc.. through the car. The rear ones both give you passive rear steer and are bolted directly to the shell so transmit a lot more from the road. I had poly rear ones and they were awful on the Corrado.

I was so impressed with them with my G60 set-up I have just ordered the complete set of poly bushes for the front end of mine as part of the 24v V6 install. Not just the wisbone ones but the ARB ones, the Steering rack bush, the front cross member bushes etc..etc..

Jay

That's what I've got too; poly front & VAG rear!

Hhhm, I have to do the same. How much are we talking (£££s) and how many bushes in total? If you were doing it bit by bit then where would be the best place to start/which would give the most immediate advantages? Do the rears first? Sounds like quite a few bushes up front too, could that be broken down so do a couple at a time, or best just to burn cash and get them all done? You can tell I am no bush man.

Many thanks for all the replies guys. The consensus seems to be VAG rear & poly front, so that's what'll be going on.

Cheers

I paid £170 for Powerflex bushes on the front. Thats everything.

That included

Front wishbone rear mounts

Front wishbone front mounts

Front ARB drop link bushes

Front ARB mount bushes

Front Crossmember bushes (all four)

Steering Rack clamp bush

I had already put new OE rear bushes in not long before this conversion started.

Jay

The Vibratechnics rear wishbone bushes are better than the powerflex ones, but they're not cheap. I'd leave the front wishbone bushes alone personally, they never fail.

I've done the crossmember bushes with yellow powerflexes (60 shure) and the steering rack clamp uses a purple Poweflex (80 shure) and everything else is stock rubber. That's as stiff as I'd like it personally. I tried the PF purples in the wishbones and didn't like them. They do transmit vibration and they do squeak if not lubed properly, but other people's definition of refinment differs from somewhat from mine.

OE Rubber's shure rating is 40, so the figures quoted for the PFs give you some indication of how stiff you're going. The higher the number, the stiffer they are.

If you don't mind a bit of vibration (and it isn't massive amounts), the PFs are fine.

I'm taking my C to Stealth tomorrow for a few things, including fitting my Coilovers. Now, considering my G60 has only 52k on the clock, what bushes would you guys recommend that i have replaced ?? They advised a friend of mine to do the Rear Axle and Front Wishbone Bushes with PF's. Would you not agree with this ?

Going by what i've just read here the OE Rears sound a better choice, just what to replace at the front is confusing me now !!

Weird, I thought Stealth recomened OE rear beam bsues on the Corrado!

As yours is on lowish mileage they probably won't NEED changing but the rubber tend to go hard/perish with age rather than milage so may be a good idea to do them to improve ride quality etc...

Have a good day tomorrow!

Cheers mate, oops i'm taking it Tuesday actually, understandable what you're saying, i guess the age would affect them more than mileage. Probably best talk to them about which front ones to replace when i get there but if anyone has any advise would be grateful....

:roll: Still got the Lumpy thing goin on i take it then, if you need a lift or me to pick stuff up or something let me know. Bit far for towing though !!

I have found the front control arm bushings are the ones to go most of the time on all A2 chassis VW's. The rear bushings on the front control arms get a lot of work as the front control arms are designed to toe-out under braking to help the car stop. If you look around the inside of the rubber bushing where it is bonded to the steel sleeve I'm sure you will see ripped rubber. This allows the front control arms to shift around as you drive and will allow the front of the car to wander and catch ruts in the road. I have replaced many of these and it is easy enough to do if you have a vice and a hacksaw.

In North America it is hard to find VR6 specific front control arm bushings as the shape of the control arm is different from that of the G60 / 16V Corrado and A2 chassis. I used a pair of Audi TT rear control arm bushings which are solid rubber and fit perfectly with one exception. The bolt that holds the rear of the sub-frame / control arm on the TT in place is a little bigger in the shoulder so you need to have a sleeve made up to get them to fit. You can use them as they are bought but you will get a little shifting around of the control arms. The TT bushings are 1/2 way between poly and stock but last a long time so this may be a cheaper option. I drove mine without a sleeve and never noticed a problem unless I was going slowly into a driveay or something, I could feel / hear them shifting around. For the bushings on the front of my Corrado I used poly ones I had kicking around from my A2 as they are the same.

If you go to the Corrado Club of Canada's main site http://www.corrado-club.ca/ and click technical resoures you will see a link to a PDF document on how to change out the control arm bushings and what to look for in respect to the damaged rubber.

Cheers, Dennis